Damsel Foibles

wsboyette

Are Blue Damsels as potentially troublesome as Domino Damsels ? I had seen reports that Domino Damsels can get really mean and not get along well in a community tank, and that damsels in general can clash with other fish badly. In my last setup I had a Blue Damsel which got along fine with the other fish....

Yes, those are both potentially troublesome damsels. Many damsels start out fine, as juveniles, but get very mean as they mature. The ideal scenario to add these fish is a large tank, already stocked with large, aggressive fish. They will do fine. Unfortunately, damsels are often the first fish added, when cycling, because they are hardy. This lets them get established, and any new fish get harassed, often to death.

I have tried out several of the less aggressive damsels, in an effort to find community-friendly species. The least aggressive of the ones I tried were the Allen's Damsels, also known as Neon Damsels. They are a gorgeous blue, with an extra pop of a blue sheen, that I think is prettier than a Blue Devil. I have a group of five in a 180g. They are very sociable and active, and get along well with each other and other species.

Yes, those are both potentially troublesome damsels. Many damsels start out fine, as juveniles, but get very mean as they mature. The ideal scenario to add these fish is a large tank, already stocked with large, aggressive fish. They will do fine. Unfortunately, damsels are often the first fish added, when cycling, because they are hardy. This lets them get established, and any new fish get harassed, often to death.

I have tried out several of the less aggressive damsels, in an effort to find community-friendly species. The least aggressive of the ones I tried were the Allen's Damsels, also known as Neon Damsels. They are a gorgeous blue, with an extra pop of a blue sheen, that I think is prettier than a Blue Devil. I have a group of five in a 180g. They are very sociable and active, and get along well with each other and other species.

Those Neon Damsels are very pretty; I'd like to maybe add some after the other fish are established in the tank. I had good success with Javanese (Blue Velvet) Damsels in the past; I may get one of those.

Fiji Blues are cranky but nowhere NEAR the crankiness of Dominos; in a separate and more peaceful category, blue-green chromis, a quasi damsel that other damsels hate. But chromis really bother nothing but each other. Limit: one, unless you have a very long tank.

Many times these questions are hit or miss types as the environment and players in each setup are so very different.

Many times these questions are hit or miss types as the environment and players in each setup are so very different.

That is correct, it depends largely on tank size, how much structure in the tank, what other fish are in it, ad infinitum.

Aggression is often a function of tank size, shape, population and rockwork design. A domino damsel's aggression, however, is demonstrative. They grow to the size of a saucer, the golden emits a buzz that can startle dinner guests, and they pick up pieces of the rockwork OR your specimens and fling them about half a foot on average when they feel a need to emphasize territory. They're fairly good about not killing their tankmates if they're used to them, but they abhor chromis with a passion and none will survive.

Another awful aspect of a damsel is attempting to remove it/them after making the introduction mistake in the first place, fastest fish i ever chased..................Ended up removing all rockwork to catch it after all else failed.Think real hard about a blue damsel, beautiful but mean as my ex was.

If you're looking for a blue color check out the blue sapphire. The one I got hasn't gone after anything since I added it and live aquaria even lists them as peaceful. They're a little darker shade of blue than the neon damsels but they still glow in the tank. And stay smaller than most of the other damsels I think

Back