DAS skimmer club

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11189420#post11189420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nattydread
ANyone have orca make them an EX-1? Is the build quality signifigantly better?

I asked Shuan about that before i ordered the EX1 he said no way could they make it for that price. SO they just carry the EX1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11210509#post11210509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef2
i dont under stand . i use the flow rate to adjust the skim wet or dry with air valves wide open. i use a mj1200 with the valve closed a bit. if i want wetter skim i open it up for drier i close it.

That is exactly what i do also

Here is my ex-1 after 24 hours! Seems to work much better than my octopus200 with 0 heat from the pump!

034-3.jpg

026.jpg

008.jpg

001-3.jpg

This skimmate smelled soooo bad. Amazing skimmate for such a short period of time. I plan on tuning it for a little drier skimmate.

Enjoy!

-Matthew

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11233668#post11233668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlos_fb
Matthew, that looks pretty good!

I thought you had ordered one of those deltec air valves.

I did but Petorama.net didnt't send the deltec style one, they sent the stock DAS black one. They still have yet to send a call tag or charged my credit card soo.... I guess I have 2 DAS ex-1's now.;)

Glad its working well for you!!! Do you have any FTS??

Here is a quick picture.

010.jpg

009-1.jpg

006.jpg

Ding2daDong your avatar cracks me up.

LOL Thanks! I hear that alot.

-Matthew

Hey my skimmer came a couple days ago...my 40B is still being built so mean while i hooked the skimmer up to my 20g bucket with LR in it. I have it running with a via-aqua 1800(480gph) feed pump which is clocked back quite a bit. My problem is i'm not sure on how to dial this thing in....i read your instructions in the DAS skimmer club thread but still having issues. I usually dial it in and the collection cup fills with foam in about 20-30 minutes. I'm also not sure on what levels the bubbles should be at for wet-dry skimming. And i'm also not sure on how to measure how many GPH i'm running threw my skimmer.

To measure the flow through the skimmr is easy. Get a stop clock or watch with second hand. Get a 1 gallon jug with a large top or any container/bucket that you know how much it actually holds.
Place the output flow of the skimmer so it drains in the container and time how long it takes to fill it. For example, if it's a 1 gallon container and it fills in 20 seconds, that's 3 gallons per minute, 180 gallons per hour. I would run as slow a flow as you can get away with on your live rock tub but that will be partly at the mercy of what the skimmer needs in terms of flow to get the water level height set.

Set the water level so that it is just a hair below where the black cone start. This is with the air flow to the recirc pump bloked off. Then adjust your air downward until you are skimming some colored skimmate. If you find that you have to turn the air down too much, just drop the water level a little more (like in 1/16" increments) by cutting flow into the skimmer a little bit. You just have to toggle between air flow adjustments and water level adjustments.

Or, to make it easier ...

... for starters is just set the air valve knob so that the arrow points at about 2:00. Then just adjust the water level until you are getting colored skimmate and not overskimming. Like above, Start with the water level even with or just a hair below the start of the black cone with the air flow blocked. Then set the air knob at about 2:00 and just make water adjustments from there. If you have success with this you can try tweaking a combination of the flow rate and the air valve to tune it in better. But generally, with the air valve down just a little bit, like at 2:00, you should be able to get it skimming well with just water level adjustments.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11233327#post11233327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ding2daDong
Here is my ex-1 after 24 hours! Seems to work much better than my octopus200 with 0 heat from the pump!

Nice and dark....I can't seem to get mine THAT dark, nor does mine smell awful (I wonder what the cause of this is).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11248564#post11248564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by warr40
hey i took some pics with my camera phone this is what fills the caup in about 10-20 min

My guess is that there is something in the aquarium that is causing the skimmer to overskim. I posted a reply with a couple of other suggestions to help you out but ...

Do you have the air valve adjusted to restrict some air?
Have you tried cutting flow to lower the water level?

Have you used and chlorine/chloramine neutralizer?
Or, any slime coat products?

Are you using any filter socks/bags, filter pads or other type of similiar filter media?

Need some details on supplements or additives you are using. How long has the tank been set up?

Right now, for whatever reason, you need to lower the water level and/or cut back the air flow.
Unfortunately, there is no gate valve or expansion coupler on the output to allow you to control water level regardless of flow rate into the skimmer. That would really help in this situation. But regardless, you need to drop the water level and/or restrict some more air.

Help us help you ... tank details ... supplements/additives/chemicals, filtration media. Water source for top off and salt mix ... ro? ro-di? tap? well?

the tank is just a 20g rock curing bucket

there is no media additives or anything in it.

I use ro water for salt mixing and top-off

i put a valve on the output to get the right level and i got 40gph going threw the skimmer as of now

the air is at about 2 o' clock now

since i added the valve on the output i think its doing better

one question tho when u first start the skimmer up with both the skimmer and feed pump on where should the bubbles be?

mine took about a week b4 it quit doing that. but it would still do it if i turned it off and then on. but after a couple more weeks no problems at all. i just kept the input flow down for about 2 weeks. after about a month of running this thing realy took off. i could run more flow through it and the skimate got real nasty.

r u the same warr40 on nr.com?

Back