DC Pressure Pumps?

quartetman1

Ken here,

I have done lots of Google and forum searching.

125 gallon freshwater aquarium.

Would anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a submersible, variable speed, high head of around 53 feet, or can put out 23 psi, magnetic drive DC pump?

I did find a GRI Gorman-Rupp INTG3-570, 571, 9-24 vdc. But a kicker. They do make submersibles, but not in a lotment of 1 pump. They sell submersibles in lotments of 50 pumps. They basically are not a retail store. Their products are high end industrial and commercial pumps. But they do manufacture these smaller pumps for food, beverage, and aquarium pumps. This particular model is not a submersible unless 50 are ordered.

The reason I need a pump that can put out 7 to 23 pounds of pressure is for the Nu-Clear Cartridge Filter. It's pressure gauge goes from 0 to 30 psi. It's operational pressure is 7 to 14 psi. I ordered diesel fuel filters for my aquarium filters that I cut to size to fit in trays. Part of those filters will be cut to fit around the Nu-Clear Cartridge Filter, thus I need a high pressure pump.

Yes, I know mag drives in general have less head then direct drive. But after all there are home well water pumps that are DC. Obviously a house well pump is a high output AC pump or a DC pump and is a direct drive.

Aquariums with an external pump, the motor heat goes into the ambient room air. With a submersible the motor heat goes into the aquarium water, thereby reducing the heat required by the tank heaters. And that's 24 x 7 x 365 days a year. Plus a direct drive has seals that will eventually wear out. With a mag drive that is omitted.

I have read about various direct drives and various mag drives.

Thanks, Ken

The only DC type pump that handles really high head pressures would be the Abyzz A400 and even that wouldn’t handle the head pressures you are after. There is the RD3 230 and RD3 150 Pressure pumps which are variable speed and submersible but they can’t handle the heads that the Abyzz A400 can.

Beyond that, you’d have to step up to a 240v Danfoss VFD drive which could handle those kinds of heads but those are external and your looking at a pump that draws upwards of 1800 watts for that kind of pressure. There is also the Red Dragon RD4 Dreamliner but they too are 240v and external. The advantage is that the Dreamliner is a magnetic drive pump that generates very little heat to the water which is a good thing though you would likely still need your heaters. They are beasts though if you really want to go down that path.
https://royalexclusiv.net/en/flow-delivery-pumps/freshwater-ponds/red-dragon-r-4-pond-freshwater/

Reality is that if you put a pump like an A400 in your sump, you may not need a heater but you will need a chiller which will be even more costly.

That said, not sure what you have in your tank but if it were me and I had a fresh water system that required that kind of water polishing, I’d lean more towards a sump with filter socks or a more traditional cartridge based filter that doesn’t require the kind of head pressure that your current filter requires. That just seems way to impractical for such a small system.

Back