Death in bags...acclimation fatality: why it happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never realized you could just drop a fish into a QT as long as the salinity is good (after acclimating for temperature of course). That will definitely help in the future, thanks Sk8r!

I just did a small survey to see what most refers were doing for acclimation. Most were doing very fast acclimation float bag 15 mins release into destination tank. OR they were doing various methods of adding water from destination tank cup / drip but all were doing that VERY FAST.

My Question is.. why are we are working so hard to match our salinity..when so many do freshwater dip? If a fish can survive fresh water dip... then I don't get the WHY we need to be so super exact to .001 for salinity?

I float bag 15 mins and place in QT. I do all of this in low light. In fact I almost lost a super small fish b/c the lighting was so low! I think the lights are a bigger factor then we take into account.

Neptuen

Lights on a qt should be used mostly for examination of fish at least once a day if not more often. It's also considerate not to put your qt near the bass speaker of your telly.
I don't freshwater dip anything. Never have. Won't.
The 15 min float with the bag closed equalizes temperature, which is good.

My Question is.. why are we are working so hard to match our salinity..when so many do freshwater dip? If a fish can survive fresh water dip... then I don't get the WHY we need to be so super exact to .001 for salinity?

Neptuen

Smaller organisms that aren't as complicated don't have a cellular structure that can survive the different specific gravity and rupture. It's a great, non-chemical way to remove many lower level organisms.

It's still hard on the fish, just not as hard as other effective options.

Osmotic shock happens rapidly in lower level organisms, and slower in higher organisms. Hence a quick dip. It's still happening to the fish though.

In all fish species osmoregulation developed in a way that enabled them to maintain the proper balance of salt and water in the water with chemical composition found in their natural habitat. If osmoregulation is disturbed due to adverse conditions (osmotic stress) or a sudden change in the chemical composition of water (osmotic shock), fish might not be able to physiologically cope with it.

Chronic osmotic stress can eventually result in fish’s death and osmotic shock can cause death very quickly.

Would a drip still be good if you test the bag water and theres no sign of ammonia?
9.gif
2.gif

1.gif

Why would you want to drip anyway, when all you have to do is match salinity and acclimate for temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back