Death in bags...acclimation fatality: why it happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
sk8r, i am a noob and recently added my first fish, a yellow tang. When i got it home, i did the drip method and later that night, the fish was acting all kinds of screwy. Your lesson given earlier on this thread could definetly be what happened! Needless to say, i wont be doing the drip method again......

BTW- The tang pulled through and is happy in his new home! Thank god, because i thought to myself, how horrible to lose my first fish!

Drip method is a perfectly fine method if you eliminate the ammonia in the shipping water upon initially opening the bag or transitioning it to another acclimation container. I never acclimate in a shipping bag nor do I ever go past 60 minutes using the drip method. Sounds like the fish was suffering from ammonia burn/toxicity that luckily the Yellow was able to pull through it.

It's most apt to happen to a new hobbyist who is resolved to do things absolutely, considerately, by-the-book right, who has read all the recommendations about drip---but who doesn't get the info about the ammonium>ammonia transaction; or it happens to the very experienced guy who normally doesn't acclimate too long, but has a prized rare fish he wants to take special care of---I started recommending this alternative to drip after reading a very sad post about a big and rare fish and a disaster.

I'm liking this notion of matching both ph and salinity: easy to inquire. One of the problems with eliminating ammonia via Prime and Amquel in such a situation is that if you have a big fish, large water volume, not so hard to figure the dose; but figuring the dose with a tiny goby's water, not so easy. One of my newest guys would fit on a penny, with plenty of room for his mate.

So I have my first fish in qt right now, a midas blenny. He will be ready to be transfered to the dt next week. If I match my qt salinity/temp to the dt, I can just take him out and pop him right into the dt? From the info in this post, that will be fine. If this is not the case, please let me know. My tank is a bit over 2 months old at this point in time.

Salinity match, Corp; ph match to be extra careful. Start now, let the topoff/evaporation action adjust the salinity, and you're good.

Edit: The more I think about it, I find myself asking: if I have space for 5 gallon buckets, or this intermediate container... why don't I have space for a small QT?

I was asking this as I read your post. :)

If you can't do a full QT, and there may be legitimate reasons why you can't, you can at least set up a bucket with a couple gallons of water at the correct specific gravity to transfer your fish to. Dump a quarter of this water for new water each day for a few days and you can easily acclimate a fish to a new salinity over a longer period.

The key is getting them out of the shipping water as soon as practical.

Jeff

I... but figuring the dose [of Prime] with a tiny goby's water, not so easy.
One fortunate thing is that it's hard to overdose Prime. I use five drops a gallon, one drop for a quart or less is easy. Even if you dosed five times the listed amount you're safe. Not sure on AmQuel but it has to be close to the same effect.

Jeff

Good to know, Jeff: reference for any emergency. And one can look up cups to quarts to gallons online: just type in the question and programs do the math.

I use Prime to de-scent my hands after using bleach: we keep it in the laundry area as well as the fish sump area!

Good to know, Jeff: reference for any emergency. And one can look up cups to quarts to gallons online: just type in the question and programs do the math.

I use Prime to de-scent my hands after using bleach: we keep it in the laundry area as well as the fish sump area!

For those of you of you that got presents from Santa. This is and always will be wonderful information.

what about buying fish from an LFS? should the same method apply?

Absolutely. I buy all my fish from the same LFS. They keep their water at 1.024 which basically matches my QT & DT (I'm at 1.025). When I get home I float for 15 min for temp, then net straight into QT. No drip or delay, they're in their new home immediately. Never had any issues.

I have now acclimated 10 fish to my QT and haven't lost a single one. I even had some fish that didn't look so good after being shipped to me. I chalk it up to quick and proper acclimation. My fish after floating are in the tank within 20 minutes.

I think Sk8r should consolidate all his/her stickies into one new thread and we should just sticky that because s/he has so many hahaha.

Sk8r- Great information! But I want to double check. I'm receiving a Dr. F&S DD shipment this week. DD salinity is 1.025 (I called them to make sure). My Q tank salinity is 1.024. After floating sealed bags for temperature match, all I have to do is place the fish directly into Q tank without any "drip" acclimation ( or any adding any water for that matter) to the bags.

What about if there is a difference in ph between the shipping bags and my Q tank? Do I then drip acclimate for 30 minutes "tops"?

The fish I'm receiving are a Scribbled Angel and Blonde Naso Tang (male).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back