Death in bags...acclimation fatality: why it happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the search being down I have had to expand the cut off dates to two weeks. Any ways, I second Sushi's motion for a sticky. Although I thought it already was, must have gotten moved out with all the other stickies being made.

I don't doubt the information, but I'm confused why all the retailers tell you to do lengthy drip acclimations if its bad for the fish. Most offer guarantees on the fish, so giving you bad information that is more likely to kill the fish seems bad for business.

Great info. I got an emerald crab, and he pooed 5 times in the bag! In a 30 min drive! I have been drip acclimating, but will start with the "quick" method now. It should save water, too.

I think that retailers tell you to do a drip acclimation because this would ensure that all the parameters are the same. What they should tell you is to do it quickly.

I'm the reason SushiGirl (thanks again) was looking for this thread. I got a Radiant Wrasse from DD last week and did an "extra careful, slow 2hr acclimation" so as not to over stress my first wrasse. He went straight into the sand, the next time I saw it, it was dead. Wish I had seen this thread earlier.

So if I buy a fish and it was shipped to me and in a bag all night. When I test the bag water sg its 1.017 and my tank is at 1.024. What is my best way to match the sg if I shouldn't drip for to long?

So if I buy a fish and it was shipped to me and in a bag all night. When I test the bag water sg its 1.017 and my tank is at 1.024. What is my best way to match the sg if I shouldn't drip for to long?

Set up a quarantine tank with 1.017 water for a few weeks. Raising from 1.017 to 1.025 needs to be done slowly.

Thanks for the information. I havn't lost any fish (probably luck) but I now see that I haven't done them any favors.

Or mayby I have lost some. I have had fish die after a week. Is it possible they could last that long before the damage finally caught up to them?

Either way, I will certainly be using this method from now on.

Sk8r, I have a question...

Would it make sense to test the bag water to verify sg before opening it? What I am thinking is use a syringe to pierce the bag near where it is closed off and draw a ml or so of water into the syringe, then roll down the rubber band to make sure nothing leaks out of the tiny hole

You could then spot check the sg with a refractometer

Do you see any harm in this?

Wow, and to think I was ridiculed for talking about an LFS that just tosses anemones into their tanks with nothing but floating a closed bag...I am so confused... Aclimate... Dont Acclimate...(sarcasm)

Sk8r, I have a question...

Would it make sense to test the bag water to verify sg before opening it? What I am thinking is use a syringe to pierce the bag near where it is closed off and draw a ml or so of water into the syringe, then roll down the rubber band to make sure nothing leaks out of the tiny hole

You could then spot check the sg with a refractometer

Do you see any harm in this?

A reputable LFS or online retailer will know what their salinity runs. For me at least it really doesn't matter, once you open that bag after 15 minutes of floating you are on the path of no turning back.

As soon as I open the bag I add tank water how much depends on how much is in the bag so it's a judgment call. I add tank water every 5 minutes and watch them closely to read their stress level and never let them stay in the bag longer than 30 minutes. If I see the stress level escalating rapidly 20 minutes tops for me.

I would rather take my chances let them in the tank where the water quality is healthy than leave them in the bag and run the risk of killing them that way.

Sk8r will probably have a more informative answer.

i know this is an old thread, but i think it should be a sticky. this topic is often overlooked, and many beginners should have this info.

I was doing this over a decade ago. I watched a new LFS want to acclimate everything correctly killing fish in buckets in his store and did some research. He killed some beautiful fish.

I was doing this over a decade ago. I watched a new LFS want to acclimate everything correctly killing fish in buckets in his store and did some research. He killed some beautiful fish.

Doing drip shouldn't be an issue for a fish coming from 10 minutes down the road though should it? I have a drip kit that floats the bag and has a tank above that drips into the bag

Wow. This has been really helpful information! I am new to the hobby and am planning on getting my first fish in the next couple days (I think). My whole intention was to put the fish into a smaller bucket and do a drip acclimation, so this awesome to know.

The central purpose of acclimation, once temperature is at least moderately fixed, is salinity. If you can fix that in advance by pre-setting your quarantine tank, you've got perfect water (salt mixes try to be) at a matching salinity and an ok temperature. This will satisfy most everything the new arrival needs. And your qt, which will be dim, quiet, and clear of other fishes' smells and threats, will be a nice place to hang out and catch a fishy breath for a bit. When he finds out it's also rich in food (after a decent time to relax and get curious---THAT is the cue it's time to offer food)...he's in a good place, unbullied, unnipped, pretty secure, and fed without having to fight for it.

Attention Moderators!

Attention Moderators!

Can someone please make this thread a sticky?

It is very important information for the life and safety of the critters we like to keep. Let's at least try to make their transition as least stressful as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back