DI refills

seased

What does everyone do for replacement of their DI cartridges? I just spent about $40 on a replacement DI cartridge - there has to be a better way.

What about the DI refills - are they as good? Maybe a future group buy. Thanks.

I bought several extras when I bought my 2nd ro/di unit. I have seen some on ebay with refillable beads that are supposed to cost about $15 but I have no expreience with the matter, yet.

I buy beads from buckeyefieldsupply in mass bulk and refill all my cartridges w/o any problems. Much cheaper that way...

rather than buying DI cartridges pre-made, you can buy the DI beads and refill it yourself. From what I have seen, you can buy a single refill pack for approx. $12-15 or you can buy larger bulk quantites. You can get 5lbs for approx. $39. I'm not sure how many refills you can get from that amount. This may be a good group buy item.

After changing mine out a week ago, I noticed that the bottom of the cartridge was just a screw on cap. Just unscrew it, dump out the old stuff, and refill. From what I understand, once a DI is exhausted, it can release stuff back into the water. I think a DI is only good for about 200 gallons of product water. HTH.

thanks...

that sounds like a great idea...I go through way to many DI cartridges...I'm in for group buy if we have one.
dave

I changed my 3 prefilters, left ro since the guy said you never have to replace these just use the flush thingy, replaced the di and some last one that says it's "for taste". I assume the for taste thing is adding tds because going in is about 185 and coming out is about 40 TDS. Not good... However it's a new cheap dual meter and I'm not sure I can trust it's accuracy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6858278#post6858278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imsqueak
I changed my 3 prefilters, left ro since the guy said you never have to replace these just use the flush thingy, replaced the di and some last one that says it's "for taste". I assume the for taste thing is adding tds because going in is about 185 and coming out is about 40 TDS. Not good... However it's a new cheap dual meter and I'm not sure I can trust it's accuracy.

It sounds to me like you RO membrane is bad sorry to say. They have a life of two to three years unless your carbon filters exhaust and chlorine damages the membrane. A 75 GPD membrane should give you a TDS of 4-5 and a 100 GPD would be 18.

Fahz

I'm thinking about getting a whole new ro/di from filters direct on ebay. Seems the cost of a new ro membrane is half the cost of a whole new unit and I like this one with clear canisters.ebay link The di doesnt look like beads to me but I've never seen them.

I'll start a new thread with the thought of ording from them as a group buy. I doubt the prices will be much different from what he gets off ebay but maybe 5-10% less.

How much is it to replace the membrane, Don? I need an RO/DI unit and would consider buying yours or tagging along on a order from the EBay guy if he'll give us a break on the shipping costs. With my low usage, I'd probably do good enough with a 35gpd unit.

Back