Did I get a Male or Female Rhomboid wrasse?

RDMike

Hey guys...I ordered a male rhomboid wrasse from bluezooaquatics and comparing it with pictures of a male vs female rhomboid...Im starting to think I got a female instead of the male I ordered. What do you guys think?
Are males suppose to have some yellow to it?

14aea35e20d0bc.jpg

Picture of male rhomboid from internet
MaleRhomSmall.jpg

I think you have a male, the internet male has coloration, you can only hope for!

The more i look the more it seems like I got a female. Every male rhomboid I pull up here on RC has a yellow body and bluish tint to their fins.

Mind looks just like this typical female rhomboid
rhomboidfemale.jpg

I think you have a male, the internet male has coloration, you can only hope for!

Actually, it is a female. The male pictured in an initial stage male and is nowhere near what a terminal male coloration will be.

how long are the pectoral fins?? that the only way to tell if it is male or not. Males of any fairy wrasse have such a varied coloration its impossible to judge solely on color.

The rhomboids don't always look like that they only look like that when they flash , I have a pair here is a picture of my male flashing

web.jpg

web.jpg

Here is him normally
web.jpg

get a female for him. That will help the color really come out.

That is not necessarily true. If it is, as I suspect, an initial phase, then the female may actually compete for dominance. In any case, it would have no effect on coloration.

What they probably mean is shorter pelvic fins means female. It is the pair of fins on the bottom (ventral) surface of the fish. The anal fin (single fin) is the fin after the vent (or poop hole whatever you want to call it). The pectoral fins are the fins on the side of the fish, or if on another fish they are on the bottom also they would be the most anterior pair of fins or fins closest to the head.

Back