Did you know?

kris4647

Like many reading this, I've been in the hobby a long time. I also posses a timeshare in Hawaii. As I sit here in Kauai happy, full of Mai-Tai's I found a page by Hawaii's division of Aquatic Resources. I found.....

"Can I take reef fish I collect myself back home with me for my aquarium?

Yes, persons may take reef fish, provided the fish meet minimum size, season, and other legal requirements. You should check with the appropriate agency in your home state for any restrictions on the kinds of animals they will allow to be imported. Many states have alien species concerns, which may include microscopic organisms, pathogens, or parasites in the water or on the fish. You should also check with your airline to find out their requirements and recommendations for shipping live fish.

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/licenses_permits.html

What's the catch? It's like swimming in a fish tank over here everytime we come here. Caveats....

I'd only consider this for fish put directly in my tank.
I Proly wouldn't do it.

My main question to those "in the know" why don't I hear about this? Has my rum intake made me miss something?

Just curious. Lets not take this to a fisheries conservation discussion.

All the best
K

i would surmise that if you had all of your cites, import paperwork right, you could do it.

a cooler with sealed bags, checked baggage.

ill have to tell you, it may look like a cornucopia of fish swimming all around you. break out the catch nets and its a whole new ball game. you will look like a bloated elephant doing ballet trying to catch a fish.

if you are not on tank air and just snorkeling, hmm....good luck.

i went out collecting today, way down to 130' chasing Rhomboids and Mysteries, working my way up the reef to around 40' to look for anthias. I've been collecting for 2 years now, and let me tell you, one of the hardest things I've done. lots to focus on when you are in the water. you'll need special catch nets, catch bucket and the knowledge on how to decompress a fish properly. you'd probably have a better "net" gain if you made ins with some local collectors whom would charge you a bit over what they get wholesale, and you could get what you wanted as well, verses what you could catch.

good luck, and enjoy the weather.

C

I've looked on the CITES site, every governmental agency I could find and as long as you aren't exporting for personal monetary gain, not only can you but with no permit.

This all started with my wife asking if we could do this "like the Plumerias", we get every year. Yup I called everyone you can take a plumeria cutting home with no permit or anything. It's different of course but the groundskeeper at our timeshare was all for it. "To further the trees abundance", and I have 5 footers and three footers respectfully 3,5 years, all from a 6" cutting.

Please if you have knowledge in fish importation from Hawaii to the states chime in, also even some verbiage concerning collecting rock, I found many rules concerning that.

Again I don't wanna lug this stuff home so I'm just curious.

Mahalo

I don't know the answer to your question, all I know is I miss living in Hawaii. I lived there for three years and loved diving on the reefs, but that was twenty years ago.

A couple of years ago I stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa resort and they have a beach made up of large stony coral rocks. I picked up 3 nice pieces and brought them back with me as carry-on. No one in the airport said anything. These rocks are the nicest pieces I have.

Yeah, the concierge told me that taking the lava rock would bring bad luck. Some have even mailed the rocks back in an attempt to reverse the effect.

I may sound crazy but when I left Hawaii (lived there for three years in the USMC) someone stuck a lava rock in my sea bag. When I got home EVERYTHING seemed to be going wrong for me. One day a few months after I got home I decided to dig through my stuff from the Corps that was in the bag and found the lava rock. I mailed it back as fast as I could and things almost instantly improved. Maybe just a coincidence but I wouldn't want it to happen again.

About thirty years ago here. It did get me on a West Pac and a cruse to Australia. My last year I lived off base in Aiea. It wasn't what I would call bad duty. Better than J-ville!!! :lol:

About thirty years ago here. It did get me on a West Pac and a cruse to Australia. My last year I lived off base in Aiea. It wasn't what I would call bad duty. Better than J-ville!!! :lol:

I was west coast all the way so I never had the pleasure, but I'm sure it's comparable to Oceanside.

We had the curse feeling with some black sand I took when we got married in Oahu. Long line of bad things had happened cumulating in my placement on disability. No I don't believe in most things like this but my wife found an address on the net that takes in Pelés children and I didn't argue.

This is about the volcanic stuff to be clear. Black Sand, black rocks etc

Fwiw the law doesn't require any permit. I emailed the Division of Aquatic Resources and a Mr Miyasaka relayed that collection of 1 gallon(weird right?) of plain rock devoid of life is permitted by law. Local fish collection is covered under the law as well. All for personal use.

No permits needed. We had fun, found a few rocks blown in by the stiff trade winds that blew the whole week.

Back