Dino's & Aptasia - is this the breaking point for a new reefer?

Did the same (Dr Tims Method). Cleared it but 2 days later it was back.

Tried dosing phosphates, nitrates are already high.

Increased temp.

Siphoned it out every day.

I'm obviously not smart enough to understand all of the components of reefing. Just frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just read your original post again. It's a silly question, but are you sure it's dino? I used to have this nasty brown hair algae that had snot on it. I posted a photo on reddit and a bunch of people immediately replied that it's definitely Dino. My water parameters were similar to yours (nitrates were a little higher, phosphate reading 0).

It ended up being hair algae pulling phosphate out of the water and the snot was composed of micro bubbles from my skimmer that weren't clearly coming out. I only figured it out because an LFS employee said to rip some out and turn off my skimmer for 48 hours and see if the snot goes away. It did.

Not saying this is definitely the case but I'm wondering if it's a possibility. It certainly was a weird scenario.

I think it is. Every test I have done shows that it's Dino. Pull some out, shake it up and it "œclumps" together. I have sent some samples to the contact someone gave me above so
Maybe he will confirm with the telescope. Although I don't seem to see bubbles on mine, but I'm also cleaning it off rather quickly. plus I treated twice with chemiclean as I thought it was cyno and that didn't seem to work either. What solved yours?

The low phosphate and high nitrate is baffling to me though. This is the one piece that doesn't seem to fit anything I read. Most everything is low on both. . . Not just one.

When I try to dose phosphate I still can't get a reading. Using salifert test so have a Hannah checker ordered and on the way.

New UV bulb

And not to mention the F aptasia everywhere and no signs of my nudibranchs or peppermint shrimps . . .

I think it is. Every test I have done shows that it's Dino. Pull some out, shake it up and it "œclumps" together. I have sent some samples to the contact someone gave me above so
Maybe he will confirm with the telescope. Although I don't seem to see bubbles on mine, but I'm also cleaning it off rather quickly. plus I treated twice with chemiclean as I thought it was cyno and that didn't seem to work either. What solved yours?

The low phosphate and high nitrate is baffling to me though. This is the one piece that doesn't seem to fit anything I read. Most everything is low on both. . . Not just one.

When I try to dose phosphate I still can't get a reading. Using salifert test so have a Hannah checker ordered and on the way.

New UV bulb

And not to mention the F aptasia everywhere and no signs of my nudibranchs or peppermint shrimps . . .

Darn. I never tried the clumping test. What fixed mine was just pulling it all out and changing out a lot of water and adding a CUC. I didn't have Dino, I just had a weird case of hair algae. I remember my LFS telling me to watch the snails - if they dropped dead or just completely ignored it I had dino, but if they ate it and were fine it was algae. The former is what happened

My cuc is not dying, but they are also not eating it. . .

I'd say it's not the weird brown algae I had. I thought it was worth a mention if no dino treatment has worked for you.

What are your nutrient export methods? I'm guessing you have a large refugium?

If you can't solve it, something like this may be worthwhile - https://fishofhex.com/products/dino-identification. This guy will examine the Dino under a microscope to figure out specifically which species it is and then give you a plan of action. Some Dinos thrive in different environments than others.

I purchased this from Fishohex -> thanks for the recommendation. Confirmed Dino's (coolia). Following all the recommendations for this strand but seems like I'm not making progress. I wonder if I should get a bigger UV filter. . . Is 15w not enough for a 90 gallon?

Back