Dipping live rock in muriatic acid

1. Do not mix bleach & acid. It makes a toxic gas. Make sure the rock is WELL rinsed between the bleach and the acid process. Outside and well ventilated is a must regardless. Gloves & goggles are a good idea too.

2. I think I used 10 parts water to 1 part acid. It bubbled quite a bit and worked well in about 20 minutes.

3. Dry rock has lots of dried organic material in it. It will rehydrate and decompose in the tank over time. Bleach and/or acid won't get enough of it to make it suitable to go into your tank. The rock will leach nitrogen compounds and phosphates for quite a while.

I would "cure" it first either after a bleach/acid bath or just a power wash. I prefer the power wash after trying the acid bath thing.

Put the rock in a tub of saltwater with a couple power heads in it. Keep it dark. Allow the rock to soak for a week or so and start testing for ammonia and phosphates. You'll need a good low range phosphate test kit near the end of the process.

Once phosphates start to show up, use Lanthanum Chloride to remove it so more will leach from the rock. Repeat this until phosphates no longer build up over a week or so.

This process should allow the organics to decompose, cycle the rock, and leach out most of the bound phosphates before they can get into your display tank. If ammonia doesn't rise, you can add some shrimp or ammonium chloride.

This process requires patience. It will take weeks to deal with the phosphates and dead stuff in the dry rock.

If you’re going FOWLR, just get Klein’s Butterfly or two. They will decimate the aiptasia in a hurry and will be nice fish for your future endeavor. If you have a reef, they may pick on polyps so I don’t recommend them in a reef for that reason but Aiptasia will be wiped out in a matter of days.

Learned this in chemistry class a long time ago

Learned this in chemistry class a long time ago

This may be a known, but I don't think anyone mentioned it. The 3:1 ratio of muriatic acid to water is what I used, but MOST important is that the acid is added to the water (slowly but nothing crazy. you can just pour it out of the bottle into the water like you normally would)and not the other way around. If you add the water to the acid the reaction can be very unpredictable and unsafe.

"Johnny was a chemist,
But Johnny is no more,
Because Johnny put the H2O
In the H2SO4"

Maybe just i missed it, but what's the best method to re seed the rock?

I would love to have some of the other critters like feather worms etc on it too.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Just saw this thread, but if going FOWLR, why not just buy a fish that will take care of it? No corals to care about.

Instead of going through the process of killing the live rock and hoping the aiptasia comes back, I'd just get a Kleins butterfly or a filefish. In my experience, both will take care of aiptasia, including manjanos. If it weren't for zoas and other polyps, I'd have either or both fish in my tank and that would be their jobs.

Back