Dirt-simple chemistry MUST-knows for tank health

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fine plan, assuming you believe the calcium test result. If you did not add a lot of calcium somehow, I'd be suspect of the value since normal IO won't typically have calcium that high. :)

I am so new and never have I worked with a saltwater tank-much less reef tank but it is what I really want.
Thank you so much for this explanation-you answered questions I had wanted answers for and answered questions, I didn't realize I had!
Again, thank you Sk8r!

I have had fresh water aquariums since i was a small child. got fairly good at it. moved to the marine environment and it is much more complex and challenging. i am trying to stay as natural as possible but it is a much larger challenge for marine tanks. i would say it is always a good idea to increase water volume. makes your tanks more forgiving to an accident. as well as get some cool stuff in there if you look close. i also like to just add lighting to see what grows. usually yucky stuff from excess nutrients. but helps remove them and every once in awhile you see sum thing cool.

I always try to keep my tanks at 10.8 alk 430 cal 1350 mag on the display tank 550 gal I find I get the best color and growth with it running a Little higher and it's more safe to me instead of worrying bout the cal reactor crashing or something even though It's set up on apex just had a scare last week with a pump going out at the tank dropped to 9.2 alk 360 cal over a day that's why I don't like to run it low like some ppl do but everyone has there own thoughts on water values lol there are over 70 colony's of coral in the 550 and it eats up the cal and alk in the water

Newbie here, so this question may seem obvious, but here goes anyways. My tank is about 5 months old, 40 gallon breeder. Crushed coral sub straight. I have a lion, a fire angelfish, a striped sail fin tang, 2 black ice clownfish, a chocolate chip star, and 2 hitch hiker crabs, look a lot like emeralds. This is a "get my feet wet tank" and better under stand saltwater tanks and all that live inside before I get a 125 gallon. My question is this, should I start doing the 3 tests, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium now along with keeping the levels correct to get in the habit of it, or is there really no need for that at this point if I have no corals?

Thanks

Appreciation

Appreciation

Thnx sk8r, good info. I never thought too much about the "good range" much in ca and alk, but aiming for the middle is perfectly sensible. 1st post of many!

Mag level

Mag level

I finally got my Mg level up to 1350! Took me months of careful dosing, but it's there. I have never had a problem with Ca, however it is probably because I do frequent water changes. Still trying to get the nitrates under control, but my tank seems to be doing well despite this. LPS are THRIVING!

Newbie here, so this question may seem obvious, but here goes anyways. My tank is about 5 months old, 40 gallon breeder. Crushed coral sub straight. I have a lion, a fire angelfish, a striped sail fin tang, 2 black ice clownfish, a chocolate chip star, and 2 hitch hiker crabs, look a lot like emeralds. This is a "get my feet wet tank" and better under stand saltwater tanks and all that live inside before I get a 125 gallon. My question is this, should I start doing the 3 tests, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium now along with keeping the levels correct to get in the habit of it, or is there really no need for that at this point if I have no corals?

Thanks

Yes. Do the tests. What kind of lighting do you have on the 40gl? Maybe you could get some soft coral or even some LPS and practice on that too.

Ok, here's today's numbers (Red Sea Reef Foundation kit just came in the mail today, yeah, on a Sunday).

78.4*
SG 1.0225
NH3/4 - 0
NO2 - 0.05
NO3 - 25
MG - 1500
KH - 9.8
Ca 470

Nitrates are a little high, but coming down. This is a new to me, but semi mature tank that was FOWLR now converting to softies and LPS.

Surprised at the high MG and CA!

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back