DIY LEDs - The write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15399937#post15399937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nbc
I know most of you gents use CREE LEDs... but have any of you used SSC LEDs?

Reason i ask is that they are easier to get over here in the Philippines.

Just want to know if you have tried these and if they are okay.

Here is an ebay link to the kind of SSC LEDs that i can get here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SSC-P7-Whit...8b4aa282&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50#ht_2897wt_907

They come in 1 W, 3W and 10W types.

nbc

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure SSC buys raw emitters from another vendor (Cree or Philips?) and repackages them, so the performance should be very similar.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15402766#post15402766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stugray
And we thought we were the only ones doing amazing things with LEDs:

http://www.biggeekdaddy.com/miscvideos/LEDsheepart.html

Stu

i.....uuuum......yeah

me thinks they have WAAAAAAY too much free time
nervous.gif

LOL

thermal tape: I qualify for the high risk award. I bought 3M's (Scotch) double sided tape in Staples for less than $5. Comes in two rolls that will cover 600 LED's. I think I have enough tape.
Time will tell. Jim

Quick general Blue LED question: What is a good output range for Blues? I've seen 450-470nm and 460-485nm; what is the best way to go?

RandalB

tape

tape

DON'T use that 3m tape. it is not made for the job. The thermal tape I used was both made for the job and 0.1mm thick. I'd bet that tape would overheat your leds in a few minutes. It's most likely a thermal insulator.

blues

blues

Go 455nm if you can. That is close to the peak for some chlorophils absorption.

In fact, looking at the big 455nm peak in cool whites, I bet you could just use cool whites for the job. The extra blue is more to make it look nice than supplu blue for food.

In fact, for regular plants I use plain warm white leds just fine. I skipped the 660nm red entirely as I get plenty from the wide spectrum warm whites.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15400987#post15400987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yupgopotty
nbc, i think those might be too bright. That's a 10W LED pumping out 700 lumens at 2800mA. It might be overkill on your corals. Also, what driver are you going to use for that?

Also, is there a reason why you're looking at Pure White as opposed to Cool White? Cool White seems to be the norm here (I believe due to CCT).

The link was just to show an image of some of the SSC LEDs available.

I intend to get the 3 watters (they have it in cool white... and blues (420nm)).

The SSCs here come in starboards. Drivers are also available... and PWM dimming circuits as well for the DC powered drivers. At least, thats what the guy I spoke to on the phone told me.

Re: blues

Re: blues

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15403858#post15403858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kecked
Go 455nm if you can. That is close to the peak for some chlorophils absorption.

I am pretty much going for the look here, Using a MH for primary and LED for Supplimental Actinic... So 455's the Ticket?

RandalB

Randal, depending on your budget, it might make the most sense to get two or three different shades of blue LED, then drive each color on it's own dimmable driver. Then, you could simply tweak a few dials and get exactly the look you want.

In general though, for supplemental lighting, I think it's fair to say that shorter wavelengths (420nm) won't contribute a lot to the coloration of the light, but will make corals "pop" with flourescence, while longer wavelengths (450 - 500) are going to give the light a more visible and obvious blue tint.

A local reefer in AUS is building a led system using 80 XR-E Q5's to put over a 4 footer!! 40x q5 whites and 40 xre Royal blues

Is that over kill or what. What do you think that would be equal to in terms of a MH. 400W MH or more?

I've used xitanium drivers for half my whites and buckpucks for the rest of the whites. There is a noticable yellow tint to the whites driven by the buckpucks has anyone else noticed this? And yes there the same Bin and both being driven at the same current.

Here's a very strange question:

Has anyone ever touched the "lens" of the CREE emitter soon after being turned off & still warm?

I see something totally unexpected, wondered if anyone else has seen this.

The lens is floating in some kind of silicone Goo & if you touch it the lens moves around.....

Are mine defective?

Stu

I am planning on building a 4 footer with 104 cree q5s. 40 doesn't sound like too much, but I am lighting a 30" deep tank.

Last edited:
Fair enough then :)

Why are you touching your lenses stugray lol Sounds strange but I must say I don't know what material they make the dome out of anyway so maybe its normal and the manufacture never thought anyone would poke emm lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15415290#post15415290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stugray
Here's a very strange question:

Has anyone ever touched the "lens" of the CREE emitter soon after being turned off & still warm?

I see something totally unexpected, wondered if anyone else has seen this.

The lens is floating in some kind of silicone Goo & if you touch it the lens moves around.....

Are mine defective?

Stu

You need to lay off the brew Stu..

I suspect your LEDs are too hot. Your amazing "bubble holders" have always seemed far too little on the cooling side to me. Perhaps after hours of running the plastic is actually turning viscous.

Got a temp gun?

I am looking to do LEDs on my new 90 gallon build.

I am not interested in tapping the holes needed for the 96 LEDs I am planning. Does anyone have any experience with drilling the holes and then using self tapping screws?

It seems to me like it shoud be fine but I'm wondering if there is something I'm overlooking.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15420330#post15420330 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dp Raider
I am looking to do LEDs on my new 90 gallon build.

I am not interested in tapping the holes needed for the 96 LEDs I am planning. Does anyone have any experience with drilling the holes and then using self tapping screws?

It seems to me like it shoud be fine but I'm wondering if there is something I'm overlooking.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Yes you can. I did it recently with my latest build. Its actually a lot easier. I lost my patience tapping the holes in my first build for 12 LEDs. The TAP bit break like butter even with oil. At least that was my experience. Not a good one. I used #4 screws 3/8" long. Actually the nylon nuts from the 440 screws fit them and they fit nicely in the LED star holes. Here s a couple of pics:

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

The self tapping screws sounds like a safe approach without all the effort of tapping the loles. I was planning on using doulbe sided tape and have tested the tape at 170 degrees F (76 C) with good results but am now worrying about the long term adhesive strength due to outgassing of the adhesive at elevated temperatures which I'm guessing will be in the 110 to 130 degree F range. The nylon washers would also protect the star from overtightening the screw or thermal expansion issues. Jim

Don't just think about the strength from the tape. Remember the heat transfer. It is very important to removed the most heat possible or you will either burn them or shorten their life. I've seen thermal double sided tape cut with the star shape but I don't really trust them. Nylon washers also protect from short circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back