DIY Spraybar Spray bar questions

Lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
Premium Member
I would be interested in learning if any members have DIY spray bars for a tank.

If so, do you have plans or pictures? What materials did you use.

I want to use several MJ1200 pumps to push water through spray bars in my 95G Oceanic Wave tank. I'd like to place spray bar(s) low behind live rock, with the current flowing back to the pump higher in the tank.

Alternatively, is there a commercial spray bar out there that can use the MJ1200 with its 1/2" output?

Need to have good circulation, but gentle enough for seahorses I am moving to this tank...

Suggestions?

LL

Spraybars in my eyes get a bad rap. They're very good at what they do IF they are kept open.

For your questions: The easiest and cheapest way is to get a piece of PVC or CPVC from a hardware store in an appropriate size. Most likely, I'd use 1/2" GREY electrical conduit (electrical aisle, its schedule 40). If you want smaller, plumbing section has CPVC (light yellow) piping. Its a little smaller than 1/2". You will also need a end cap to cover the end of the pipe.

Then drill holes in the pipe , probably 1/8th inch. The more you drill, the lower the flow per hole. Point them in the direction you want the movement.

For connection, use flexible tubing from maxiject to pipe. The OD of one size tubing will fit into the next size ID. This will allow you to step it to whatever size you require. Usually, this will be a pressure fit with no adhesive required. If you feel safer, you can silicone them together.

Monthly, you should pull it out, clean the hole (use drill bit by hand to poke out each hole) and the maxijet. Hook it up and good to go.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Pulling the spray bar monthly might be a challenge if it's behind LR. I'll have to do some "figgerin'" on that one... :)

Thanks for suggestions on material and hole size. Very helpful.

LL

Thanks ken

Thanks ken

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12245644#post12245644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ken123
Here's a spraybar thread for a return from the sump. Take a look.

That's an interesting thread. His spray bar was at the top; mine is going to be low, near the bottom of the tank. Pushing water in two directions, up and through the LR.

LL

Back