DIY Sulfur Denitrator

I've read through this thread from the beginning and I must congratulate everyone who has successfully built and run one of these DJ Denitrators, and wish better future results to those with a little less luck. Hang in there.

And, of course, props to djfrankie for starting this thread and knowing exactly what he wanted to accomplish and how to go about it, right from the start.

And, also of course, I have a few questions.

Steve 926 - I think your design will work beautifully in my soon-to-be 60-gallon set-up. Can you offer any details at all, beyond the pics that you already posted, that could help me duplicate your model?

djfrankie - First, thanks again for sharing your brainstorm with us.
So you now have the unit running with no recirc pump, just the flow from your tap-in from your return pump.

What do you think the consequences would be if a unit, built out of a phos-ban reactor with just a gas release valve out of the top and a return outlet an inch or two below were allowed to run on a newly set up system with no recirc pump?

There would be no urgency to get the unit cycled so I'm wondering if the recirc pump would be necessary in this case.

I understand, of course, that I would have to wait until my tank was fully cycle through the nitrification process before adding the DJDenitrator so the bacteria would have food to proliferate.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks guys for helping me answer some of these questions, especially saltydog64!

Also, thanks to all for the great comments. To say the least, they're very encouraging :D :rollface:

djfrankie

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12641621#post12641621 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bruno3047
djfrankie - First, thanks again for sharing your brainstorm with us. So you now have the unit running with no recirc pump, just the flow from your tap-in from your return pump.

What do you think the consequences would be if a unit, built out of a phos-ban reactor with just a gas release valve out of the top and a return outlet an inch or two below were allowed to run on a newly set up system with no recirc pump?

There would be no urgency to get the unit cycled so I'm wondering if the recirc pump would be necessary in this case.

I understand, of course, that I would have to wait until my tank was fully cycle through the nitrification process before adding the DJDenitrator so the bacteria would have food to proliferate.

Any help would be much appreciated

I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong, that you will be installing this sulfur reactor in a new system with zero or very low nitrates form the get go.

I think if you start it off this way you shouldn't need a recirculation pump. Please wait until your tank has completely cycled before adding the sulfur reactor into the equation.

Again this is totally dependent on individual systems as no one system is identical to the next. Your bioload, feeding habits and maintance schedule will dictate wether you will need to add one later on or not.

There is a big difference between bringing nitrate levels down in an old mature tank and just "maintaining" them low in a new setup.

I have currently removed the unit from my tank since I wanted to experiment a little further with it.

For example, I wanted to check:

1- How well the midwestaquatic media was holding up inside the reactor. (excellent)

2- Check exactly how much bacterial slime was accumulated in there as well. (very little no none)

3- Keep and eye and document how fast my nitrate levels start accumulating now that the unit is off. (in progress)

4- See how long it will take to cycle the unit when installed back into the system now that the media has been washed and stored in a sealed container. (not tested yet)

Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!

djfrankie

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12639856#post12639856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltydog64
dj.............I am a little late on this one:rollface: but any how, the LaMotte Nitrate test kit reads in Nitrate- Nitrogen ( the final result is the reading X 4.4 to obtain Nitrates in ppm) and obtains this result by first converting the Nitrates to Nitrites by an acid reaction and then is read on a comparator for results, very accurate to be sure but final results can and will be influenced by Nitrites so all should be aware of this.

Dick

Thanks for the info...that's what I suspected with Lamotte.

Again...nitrites will interfere with all nitrate test kits since they all convert nitrite to nitrates first. This should not be a concern with a tank that has already cycle, but it will be evident while "cycling" a sulfur reactor, as others have already noticed.

djfrankie

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12636250#post12636250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wizsmaster
Yes, very much so. Which one are you using? API?

Which Nitrate test is everybody using here?

I'm using API and Salifert. I haven't notice any difference between the two and both kits are less than 1 month old.

djfrankie

Thanks much for your response, DJ.

Yes, the tank will be a new set-up.

I have one other quick question. With no recirc pump, is the valve on the out-gas necessary? Could I just install a 6" or so piece of rigid airline tubing out the top of the unit to de-gas continuously?

In this way, I could use the input and outputs on the phos-ban unit as they are. I welcome your thoughts.

TIA

I'm tagging alon to seee how your

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12642728#post12642728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bruno3047
Thanks much for your response, DJ.

Yes, the tank will be a new set-up.

I have one other quick question. With no recirc pump, is the valve on the out-gas necessary? Could I just install a 6" or so piece of rigid airline tubing out the top of the unit to de-gas continuously?

In this way, I could use the input and outputs on the phos-ban unit as they are. I welcome your thoughts.

TIA

I'm tagging alon to seee how your

As long as that airline is higher than your systems waterline it will be ok. Otherwise, you'll drain your tank ;)

djfrankie

OK. Last question, I promise.

So I could use the input and output elbows on the Phosban unit as they are, but I would have to install a short standpipe or nipple coming out the top of the unit with a valve at the end?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12642750#post12642750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bruno3047
OK. Last question, I promise.

So I could use the input and output elbows on the Phosban unit as they are, but I would have to install a short standpipe or nipple coming out the top of the unit with a valve at the end?

That should work. Check out Steve's unit for some ideas. I believe his unit is working pretty good.

You can use a John Guest or similar valve on the degassing line since it allows for quick opening / closing.

Have fun!

djfrankie

ps. I'll be out of town for the weekend.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12642703#post12642703 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by djfrankie
I'm using API and Salifert. I haven't notice any difference between the two and both kits are less than 1 month old.

djfrankie

interesting. when I though my nitrates were 0 on the API kit I tested it with my seachem kit and it showed 2-4.

Seems like for 10 and under the seachem is better, and 10 and over the API is better.

But even with the seachem kit anything between .5-2 is hard to read.

Man I hate color charts, must increase income and get digital testers:D

My effluent from denitrator gives <1ppm on NO3 after 3 days w/ 1 dps. It was 50ppm after 1day and 40ppm after the second day. I'll wait for 12hours and will bump it to 2dps. Everything is working well so far.

one thing i noticed is that now i get WAY less gass building up... i am still at 1dps and no recirc pump for the moment..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12647505#post12647505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Black71gp
one thing i noticed is that now i get WAY less gass building up... i am still at 1dps and no recirc pump for the moment..

Hang in there ;)

What is the white slime that forms when the reactor is not adjusted right?
newreactor029.jpg

Back