DIY Sulfur Denitrator

Looks great! are you doing to fill the reactor to the bottom with media, or install a bottom plate to sit the media on, and keep it suspended a few " above the floor?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12665298#post12665298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skippyreef
I am going to use a plate and seperate teh sulfur from teh aragonite :)

to separate the sulfur from the aragonite, or vice versa .. all you need is a sponge. Run the aragonite up top.

This will be an upflow design, right?

If so, I don't understand why you put the lower uniseal so high.

--marco

Plumbing issue with the pump I am going to use. I will need to run the 1/2 inch through the middle of the plate and let it spread over the bottom then back up though the plate to the media.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12665111#post12665111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skippyreef
Here they are again :) The one with the wider base is the Nitrate reactor in progress. Tommorow I need to get teh parts to plumb it. I have an Eheim pump that I am going to use for the recirc.

nitratereactor-1.jpg

Hey Skippyreef, I noticed in the pic that you have a helper in the house.
My helper check's out the display's conditions every morning !
Funny thing is, he likes seafood for dinner every night.

Makes me wonder :rolleyes:

carmel-1.jpg

Steve

:smokin:

I have three of those furry helpers :) They watch the tank like it is a T.V.

I am going to home depot in a bit to get the things to finish these and hope to have them on line after I get back form vacation.

I have three of those furry helpers :) They watch the tank like it is a T.V.

I am going to home depot in a bit to get the things to finish these and hope to have them on line after I get back form vacation.

Here is a pic of the nearly completed Kalk reactor :)

I am using the Eheim 1250 for the recirc pump on my NItrate reactor and want to know what people did to adapt to US plumbing.

nitratereactor-2.jpg

Hi Guys,

If ORP readings are utilized, does the probe need to be ported into the sulfer reactor or can it be placed at the effluent point, such as a drip cup?

Thanks.

I would probably not use a drip cup - an inline probe in the effluent yes, but not once the effluent is exposed to air. Thats just me though.

There was a DIY with an inline probe port ... i think it was for PH on a CA RX ... does anybody have the link for it?

this just will not get working for me:( everything cool thing i try has no effect on my system.. I had added TONS of sulfur, anything over 1dps coming out is high nitrates.. sometimes higher than the tank.. no nitrites either.. i have tried with the recirc pump on or off.. all that does is change the amount of gas that accumulates at the top of the system.. maybe i need to make it even bigger? i would have to start over due to needing larger acrylic, to make it taller so i can fit more media.. just do not understand why it wont kick into gear....

Ok, three weeks after completing my setup nitrates were down to 10 from 80 "nice", its now week seven and all of a sudden I have a rotten egg smell on the effluent... I removed the unit from the tank this morning, what should I do? clean unit? more or less sulfur?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12693429#post12693429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Black71gp
this just will not get working for me:( everything cool thing i try has no effect on my system.. I had added TONS of sulfur, anything over 1dps coming out is high nitrates.. sometimes higher than the tank.. no nitrites either.. i have tried with the recirc pump on or off.. all that does is change the amount of gas that accumulates at the top of the system.. maybe i need to make it even bigger? i would have to start over due to needing larger acrylic, to make it taller so i can fit more media.. just do not understand why it wont kick into gear....

Yours is weir. Is your circ. pump on? I think you need to let it on so that the water has more contact with media. Does it has rotten egg smell? I used 2.5L of sulfur and my tank water has ~30ppm, after 3 days I saw effluent has <1ppm dropped from 50ppm from day 1, and day 4th I start to smell rotten egg and did pump to higher effluent rate. Now it is at 60ml per min with 0ppm effluent. I still smell slightly rotten egg and will pump it to ~90ml/min soon.

What is your tank NO3? I dont think if it matters of small or big reactor, and you have lots of media currently.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12693429#post12693429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Black71gp

Just weird ... I'm not sure what would cause you such issues.
Do you get rotten egg smell? My guess would be not.

If you're going for larger acrylic, and by the time you get everything .. you may as well look into the Korallin S-4002 ... includes media & all - plug & play. It's the large boy ... mine produced 0 NO3 on the 3rd day ... I also have some NBC #9 from Midwest aquatic, but didn't receive it until the unit had already cycled.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12694277#post12694277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by knockout
Ok, three weeks after completing my setup nitrates were down to 10 from 80 "nice", its now week seven and all of a sudden I have a rotten egg smell on the effluent... I removed the unit from the tank this morning, what should I do? clean unit? more or less sulfur?

Provided the media is sized properly for your tank volume, I'd say run more water through the unit. Increase your throughput ...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12694277#post12694277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by knockout

All you needed to do, is to increase the flow rate.
You may need to start over, if the reactor has been off line for a while.
Rinse the media in ro/di water only & start the drip over. It will cycle a lot faster this time.
I have found that keeping the NO3 level at zero is not the best thing for some of my corals. I do not have any sps, so my corals like it a little dirty, 2 ~ 5 ppm. NO3. they all seem to thrive & my Maxima clam is getting huge !! I have been feeding the display like it was the last supper, & that's probably why it's at 2 ~ 5 ppm.

Steve

:smokin:

Back