DIY vs Pre-Made Refugiums/Sumps

Tobman

Premium Member
Of those of you that use a refugium/sump, how many of you made your own versus purchasing a premade one?

What are the best pre-made ones for a 75 to 120 gallon tank?

Thanks,

Toby

I had glasscages make my sump 48x18x17 box with baffles in the center and a fuge same size with dividers for about $150 each

Two Units

Two Units

Why did you go with two units instead of building it all into one unit.

Two boxes at 48 inches long take up a lot of space.

I am using them on a 240 - 1/2 of the sump will hold my skimmer asm g4+ the other half of the sump is for my return pump which will be split to feed the fuge. I wanted at least a 40 gallon fuge with a depth of 14 inches. As far as the space goes I build a stand 12 feet long to house everythging. I don't have a basement so all the balance of the equipment CR & RO and controllers etc need to fit underneath.

I did a DIY.......you can custom build one to fit under your tank.....I got all of my supples on E-Bay.......the Plexi was cheep.....I built a 35x15x15 high sump with a refugium, Berlin sock & skimmer area and pump return area with bubble trap....the total price was $89 well worth it

Design

Design

Bill and Elaine,

Where did you get you specs. or drawings for the DIY sump/refugium, please?

DIY 50 gallon acrylic sump
20 gallon tank as fuge drilled several places
29 gallon tank as DSB drilled several places

Bean

Easy way to do it is to start with a standard glass aquarium and add baffles. A 30L for a 75G and a 40B for a 120G are good fits.

I spent about $25 on two 25G rubbermaid containers. Connected them with 2" PVC and shower drain bulkheads.
Helped get me five stars on the ghetto reef thread awhile back...

I made one for my 75. I used a 30 gallon long and used acrylic for the baffles. I also added some eggcrate for a place to put some carbon, if needed. Everything was under $100.00. Check out www.melevsreef.com for a lot of good info on sumps.

Tobman,

If you do not want to build one yourself, I saw the AGA Model 4 (I think it was a 4) at Deep Reef for $240, and that should be big enough.

Jim

Back