DIY'ing a controller for the Maxspect Gyre

Where did you guys find the 3 pin connectors for the jebao pumps? I found some on ebay but they looked different (different notch on the inside of the connector).

For the Gyre, the connectors are a different size than a Jebao. To purchase the matching connector off eBay, I held the original up to the monitor and used the relationship between the length and ring diameter.

There are sellers on ebay that do sell the right sized connector. The really critical dimensions re the pin sizes and spacing. The keyway on the orinal connector is a slot but I think you can use one the has a flat (cut out) because the pump side is fits. You will need to confirm that.

For the record I am never likely to finish this project even though I have all the parts. I am starting a new build and getting the Gyre controlled is no longer on the top off my list.

It is worth noting that there is now a controller that is available for purchase. Icecap gyre

Hi everybody ! :wave:

I'm trying to control my Gyres using my Arduino. Generate the 6 signals which drive the gate of the controller's Mosfet seems to be a little difficult, especially for the N-Channel side. For the P-Channel, it was easy:

SignalSortieControleurGyre.jpg

So, I have tried to power the Maxspect's controller with a variable power supply and... it works, between 9 and 24V, the Gyre runs perfectly, its speed depending of the voltage. :bounce3:

So, what we only have to do is to convert 5V PWM to 9-24V DC. I just have to check if, running it undervoltage, could damaged the motor of the pump ?

Excellent work billyboyk!
Any new progress?

I just bought 2 Gyres and going DIY route looks much more realistic than to control the pumps with Icecap Gyre interfaces.

So, what we only have to do is to convert 5V PWM to 9-24V DC. I just have to check if, running it undervoltage, could damaged the motor of the pump ?

I'll admit I haven't looked at the Gyre's specs yet, but have you looked into using an H-bridge for driving the pump?

The main difficulty will be to generate the signals of the seconds channels, I don't know how to do it :(

Let me get home from work and see if I can come up with a write up on how to accomplish it.

Basically you're no longer treating the signals as a PWM where the pulse width controls the speed, but the toggling between the 6 pins does it. Faster you go, the faster you toggle between the pins. In some ways it may be even easier to implement than multiple PWM signals.

Me again.

Thought I give an update on the DIY (Ardiuno) - Gyre Mod Controller.

Some improvements (Real Time Scheduler with Battery-BackupOnClock, and a LCD Display).

With Audino, I could hook up to Apex (0-10V) VDM and read voltage so it could be integrated, or standalone or combo.
However I'm leaning on Standalone since no spare VDM ports on my Apex, and this unit could control motor both directions.

2016-03-11_GyreModController_zpscv4e9gwb.jpg

DIY - Gyre Pump Controller (Controller)

Now that I have a modular unit, I'm going to tackle the Speed Control (Encoder), and if I figure it out, if may be less work then figuring out a Motor Controller.

However I do respect everyone trying to figure out the Motor Control. I love challenges too. All the best.

(Has anyone built a working Gyre Pump MOTOR Controller yet?). I can still go either way with the unit I have.

Last edited:

I'm trying to control my Gyres using my Arduino. Generate the 6 signals which drive the gate of the controller's Mosfet seems to be a little difficult, especially for the N-Channel side. For the P-Channel, it was easy:

SignalSortieControleurGyre.jpg

So, I have tried to power the Maxspect's controller with a variable power supply and... it works, between 9 and 24V, the Gyre runs perfectly, its speed depending of the voltage. :bounce3:

did you try looking at the waveform of the gyre controller signal to the pump? Doesn't the connector have only 3 pins? if so, then it can't be sending the 3 phase signal. Would it still be 24v, gnd and pwm? what is the pwm frequency and how would it control direction and speed?

Back