dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

Skip
HAHAHA you even mentioned that when I was taking the picture!, sorry man. (Love the new profile info btw)

Coyle and erics3000
Thanks!

Today is move over day. I'll be moving the corals from the 58 in the bedroom over to the display tank today. Hopefully cleaning up a few odds and ends tomorrow and officially be rolling with a real tank.

More pics to come this weekend I'm sure since more rock and a bunch of smaller corals will be going in.

Well the transfer is complete. I've moved my corals and rock from the former display tank into the new one. Everything is shut down in my old tank (guess I better empty that and get it out of the house before it starts to smell bad fast...

Here are some shots just post move, so there is some slime and a bit of a dust storm. Will take more pics tomorrow after everything has settled in.

stacked1.jpg

stacked2.jpg

stacked3.jpg

Some of the supporting equipment (still need to finish organizing this whole room but getting there...)

fuge.jpg

sumps.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14557697#post14557697 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
wicked, looks awesome I want a mini version :)

DO IT!

I wonder if I can qualify for the shallow reef club now :)

Looks AMAZING :thumbsup:

Congratulations on the successful transfer and build dm (and skip)

Now let's see what those lights can do ;)

That is very cool.

Can you take some pics on how you have the whole sump room tied into the tank since i see they are on the same level but the tank does not back up to the wall.

Thanks
Jason

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14557901#post14557901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodwrangler
Looks AMAZING :thumbsup:

Congratulations on the successful transfer and build dm (and skip)

Now let's see what those lights can do ;)

Thanks Scott. That rock is really helping!
Good to see you Sunday. LMK how everything works out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14559738#post14559738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Giga
Um.....cool!

ty giga.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14559942#post14559942 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ed Reef
That's sooooo COOL!! wish I could get a round tank here!!

Thanks Ed. I'm sure you could get one from someone. Honestly you can't really get them here unless you get them custom made (for the most part anyway) I just got really lucky and had a chance to grab this one for a song.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14569474#post14569474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by harsaphes
looks amazing.

Looks better in person. I really meant to grab some more pics this weekend but... it just didn't happen.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14569807#post14569807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lowredranger
That is very cool.

Can you take some pics on how you have the whole sump room tied into the tank since i see they are on the same level but the tank does not back up to the wall.

Thanks
Jason

I can take some more, but here is one from earlier in the thread that sort of show what's happening:

plumbingDoorway2.jpg

it's been moved to go through the wall not the door, but you get the point, just drains down from the center overflow to the sump and from there everything gets distributed around in the sump room. Frankly, the sump room can be thought of as a completely independent system from the main display tank. The DT is pretty much "bolted on" to that system. It really would be nearly trivial to change out the display tank from a plumbing perspective.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14570620#post14570620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shekki
That's not your breaker box behind your sump is it?

Ha! No no... it's not, I don't make decisions that poor. This house has a half dozen gun safes in it. Covering it up with a tank full of water is about as useful as a gun safe will ever be to me.

I'll post an update on the weekends events in just a bit.

Looks awesome DM! I remember drooling over that tank in AA, you have definatly put it to better use than for storing plastic corals :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14571288#post14571288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chull13
BEAUTIFUL TANK!!

Thanks Chull13!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14576261#post14576261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dalston
Looks awesome DM! I remember drooling over that tank in AA, you have definatly put it to better use than for storing plastic corals :lol:

Thanks David (it is David yeah?) --- I'm with you, they left that thing on the floor doing nothing far too long. Only downside is the number of scratches it has received over that time. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of those out soon.
See you Saturday at Prop I hope.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14578201#post14578201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OnlyCrimson
I hope those fuge lights are tied to that pvc rack!

Love your tank! It looks very good. Have fun cleaning the algae off it!

The fuge rack is secured, but that's a good call, I should zip tie those lights in case something bad happens with the clamps. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Hopefully the algae won't be too bad, but I guess I'll be finding out soon. I do get a lot of morning sunlight on one side through the windows, be curious to see how bad that is compared to the rest.

-------

As far as updates, sorry I didn't get any more pictures posted. My wife took some but I haven't pulled them onto my server yet.
This weekend we got everything online except the calcium reactor. One of the orings for the intakes was missing. Fortunately Marine Depot is shooting another one off to me. Also picking up two more tunze nano streams to increase the flow just a tad bit. It's not quite as rapid as I would like.
Picked up a couple of small gobies and a leopard wrasse to add some swimmers. Couple of tangs will come in a few weeks once I can get everything I want in at once.

Today the framing for the false floor is being put in. A local reefer and my rock supplier will be assisting with the bench build out in a little while.

I spent a few hours cleaning the garage and just straightening things out which is really nice.

Oh, and last thing was the humidifier we're testing seems to be working really well.
The sump room is still getting really hot so I might need to put an exhaust fan in there anyway, but the humidifier is really helping keep the moisture low.

All in all, things are going well and the tank is already a showcase in our house.

So the shell of the raised floor is in, still need to figure out what I'm going to put on top of it and get together with Scott on building the bench.
I'm going through a HUGE diatom bloom right now. It's not unexpected but SO hard to look at on such a pretty tank.

The dehumidifier is working wonders, but I must do something about heat before we really move into an arizona summer. A problem for another day but one that can't be ignored too much longer.

More pics AFTER the diatoms and all the freaking bubbles it brings go away :)

LOVE the build! I have been waiting for someone in America to do this.
I was lucky enough to buy a Superkaru spotlight from Koji Wada at this past MACNA. It is a really cool piece of equipment, but they are expensive.
Looking forward to your progress

Back