dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14524314#post14524314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodwrangler

That picture really shows the magnification of the tank. Once you get rock and livestock in there, you won't notice it anymore.

Nice skimmer :D

I think you're right Scott, we put a piece a niece piece of your former rock in there last night and it really is fine. Whew. I can't tell you the little flutter of panic I had when I looked at the tank with water in it for the first time and thought I might not like it! I love it again....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14525159#post14525159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Absolute Reef
Sweet, I love this, very nice setup !

Thanks Absolute Reef!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14529372#post14529372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Johan Susanto
Hi Dmorel,
with water level so close to the edge,will you get any issue the fish jump out?

Johan, I suppose that is a possibility of course. I will not likely have many fish that will be "known jumpers" but admittedly it is a risk.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14529557#post14529557 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ADA33
Looks really good so far and very clean. I think the only reason I would shy away from a tank like this is it will be really hard to get photos from the side. But top down photos will be amazing.

Did you decide on the type of power heads you are going to use?
I think it would be cool to mount Tunzes 6201 on acrylic rods in the center. Two going one direction and two going the other direction and have them on a multi controller turning two on and two off every half hour.

It is going to be tough getting photos, but I don't have a tank so I can post pictures of it, that's just a side effect :) I did get my wife a nice digital SLR last holiday season and I'm sure she will give it a go :)

I have two tunze's in there now, 6055 nano streams on the tunze controller. I have them set to alternating on what is currently about a 10 minute schedule, full on/off. This causes a current because of the round tank to get whipped up, then it reverses every ten minutes. I'll probably set that to something like 30 minutes or maybe an hour after I get rock in there. Currently the streams are mounted to the overflow. I would probably get a bit more current (quickly) if I move them out in the rock stack. I'll play with that tonight. I'm fairly convinced that these two pumps alone will be enough flow (plus the return)

well that's it for now.
Pics tonight (or tomorrow if I'm too tired) with some rock in the tank.

I have to think that you'll get a huge advantage on flow with a comlpetely round tank and won't need any more large PHs maybe jsut a few smaller ones for spot flow. My old bow front, granted it was tiny, used to rock from very little back and forth flow.

I just love the huge round reef in the dinning room!

... Sushi anyone?

Johan, I suppose that is a possibility of course. I will not likely have many fish that will be "known jumpers" but admittedly it is a risk.

dont worry about fish :D :D
Im big fan of your tank !!

Some rock is in, maybe 120 pounds, it's not all set up yet certainly.
Wife took a few photos and will email them to me, I'll post them tomorrow.
sump room is HOT and HUMID... gonna need to vent that baby, maybe put in a window AC unit which is lame, but might be worth doing. Holding off on thinking too much about it right now.

yeah you def gonna want to run a dehumidifer of vent the room or you could get moisture dmg, plus you have like a million watts of HM spots:D

Just a couple quick pics with some rock in.
Have to work the stack a little more and bring some more in...

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

I gotta ask, can you diagram the flow of the water from the display to the filter systems? Does it drain to that tank on the bottom, which has a feed pump for the skimmer? Is it then pumped out of there into the other tanks? How's the balance of it?

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14542929#post14542929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chimmike
I gotta ask, can you diagram the flow of the water from the display to the filter systems? Does it drain to that tank on the bottom, which has a feed pump for the skimmer? Is it then pumped out of there into the other tanks? How's the balance of it?

Thanks

The tank on the bottom right is our sump, from there water is pumped up to the refugium on the top of the right stack, the refugium overflows into the frag tank just below it. From the frag tank under normal operation the water flows to the lower tank on the left and flows from that tank back to the sump.

The skimmer pump and the pump for the refugium loop are in the same area where the raw water enters the sump from the display.

There is a valve that diverts water from the frag tank directly to the sump rather than the lower left tank. This lets us drain the lower tank on the left and refill it with water from the tank above it. Super easy water changes :)

All PVC lines are drains, all return lines were done with braided nylon tubing.

i really love this tank, are those MH spotlights obtainable? i really designed my light bar for them but they are still not available thru the regular vendors.

thanks

Nick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543134#post14543134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atwinparadox2
wow fish are going to love swimming in that, they are literally never going to have to turn around! HA! Great tank!!!

thanks. I'm excited about trying to keep a couple of tangs because of that. Hoping they can swim and swim and be healthy and happy in there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543627#post14543627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i really love this tank, are those MH spotlights obtainable? i really designed my light bar for them but they are still not available thru the regular vendors.

thanks

Nick

Nick, thank. I love it too.
The MH spots are not really obtainable here in the US. You can get the Won Brothers "spotlights" from earlier in the thread from Premium Aquatics. They brought them in for me. But... those really are just MH G12 bulbs in a spotlight looking fixture. They do not throw a beam the way the Superkaru's do. Further, they don't have the kinds of bulbs you can get, the 115 SuperCool's I am using are near 50K spectrum. Really supposed to be spectacular when it comes to color. I'll toss some SPS in this weekend and find out for sure :)
I imported the SuperKaru's from Japan to get the look of the tank build that I wanted and the beauty of the spotlighting effect. That was harder and more expensive than I wanted it to be. There really is no option to get real spot here in the US today.

There's nothing i can say to describe how amazing this is!

Congratulations on an amazing setup!

I can already picture a huge clam chillin in the open space on the sandbed

I have just read this thread from back to front in one go. Great job!!

It is very surreal to see photo's of what would be my dream tank.
I started making plans for a very similar set up last year so its awesome to see someone doing this style of reef for real.

A big thumbs up from all the way in London!

Did you take any PAR readings on the spot lights? It would be interested to see how to the two different spotlights compare.

i think we should start a new socks fund for skip lol jk, im probably the only one laughing... tank look so awesome great job you might have to charge for admission to see it. :) im sure everyone will want to see it in person. oh yea iv got to get me some fat tire in a can.

Smiless,
I have not taken any PAR readings, don't have any equipment but maybe someone from my local club will take some on a visit. Someone must have a PAR meeter. I'm frankly not that into the specs, I care about whether or not it works and that's something I'll learn over the next several months.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14550977#post14550977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 4218kris
i think we should start a new socks fund for skip lol jk, im probably the only one laughing...

Yeah, its funny, the one day I am wearing some worn socks and somebody had to take a picture of my feet, lol.

Back