dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

Amazing setup! One of my favorite reefs on RC! :thumbsup:

Well that's a heck of a compliment coming from you. I only wish it was in the same class as your tank. Maybe in a few more years. Thank you kindly.

Very nice :thumbsup:

Oy, another whose opinion I highly value. Always blown away by every photo you post Mark, thanks so much.

Looks awesome, great update!

I think we need a vid at some point walking around the whole thing :p

Thanks very much. A new video is certainly in order...

Looks really beautiful. I would also love to see a video :)

Leonardo

Ah, the pressure...
and more pressure!

Ok, I'll work on a video. I need to get a better video camera. I wish I could have one of my crews come and shoot the tank... I'll have to do that next time we have an event in the PHX metro, but I'll see what I can do with a hand held camera soon.

here you go.. not great quality, I just don't have a decent camera available...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PLMDPhbUec&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PLMDPhbUec&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Boy I have not posted in a long time. Tank's had its ups and downs, but mostly going ok. I just took some quick and dirty shots for a thread on my local reef club forum.

A new shop just opened in town (one that I've been waiting a long time for it to open) and Skip, whom you might remember as the guy who helped me plan and build this system is one of the main guys over there along with a really great crew. So, I picked up a bunch of nice new stuff and thought you guys might enjoy seeing some pics and knowing I wasn't dead or out of reefing.

First a super SPS frag from Carlo's, one of the guys working at the shop.
sps1.jpg

Pyramid butterfly, been waiting MONTHS for this fish
pbf.jpg

An ORA beauty
sps2.jpg

Another ORA piece, the captive raised Goni!
I just moved it before this pic, so it's not fully extended.
goni.jpg

A little torch coral
torch.jpg

I picked up three very nice chalice pieces.

grwhibluechal.jpg

purpgreenchal.jpg

redyelchal.jpg

An addition to the ricordia garden, nice gold/yellow with green mouth and purple rim
rics.jpg

And that's what I picked up this weekend.

I'll leave you with required current FTS
fts.jpg

with a tripod and about 6 or 8 shots moving around the tank could make for an awsome panorama with a bit of photoshoping.

Any updates?

Only that work is a significant drain on my time...

Actual tank updates, I'm STILL dealing with random STN on the occasional coral, continued clipping of injured areas occurs. I have no idea why this is happening, none. And it's so completely random. Driving me crazy. Everything else is doing well. Water chemistry is as far as we can tell is good, though I did have a little salinity creep, but that was corrected pretty easily.

I did add two of the eco par38 spotlights, all blue... which are nice, allowed me to shut off so far one of the MH's, so I have only two of the MT-150's running right now. Trying to reduce heat a little and get a little more shadowing in the tank. I may add some more LED and start reducing even further the amount of MH I am running, but I'm not certain yet. What I do like is that I'm finally getting some different looks in different parts of the tanks. I also have been blasting some of the SPS with the deep blue superkaru bulbs, and things like my red planet are really responding to that, getting some very nice green out of it, though growth is slower than I would expect.

Overall, it's still a work in progress, and I simply don't know what to say about the random STN. Always from the base up, very very slow and completely indiscriminate as to which coral it decides to happen to at any given time.

I will take some new pictures in the next few weeks, been a crazy summer so far as it relates to work hours and business trips, so down town has been a little lacking.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Hopefully things improve, I would love to say what the cause is but in most cases you never really know.

Things are slowly getting back to normal...
Quick cell phone snaps, the greens in the red planet are fantastic (too bad you can't see it in these pics)...

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Only that work is a significant drain on my time...

Actual tank updates, I'm STILL dealing with random STN on the occasional coral, continued clipping of injured areas occurs. I have no idea why this is happening, none. And it's so completely random. Driving me crazy. Everything else is doing well. Water chemistry is as far as we can tell is good, though I did have a little salinity creep, but that was corrected pretty easily.

I did add two of the eco par38 spotlights, all blue... which are nice, allowed me to shut off so far one of the MH's, so I have only two of the MT-150's running right now. Trying to reduce heat a little and get a little more shadowing in the tank. I may add some more LED and start reducing even further the amount of MH I am running, but I'm not certain yet. What I do like is that I'm finally getting some different looks in different parts of the tanks. I also have been blasting some of the SPS with the deep blue superkaru bulbs, and things like my red planet are really responding to that, getting some very nice green out of it, though growth is slower than I would expect.

Overall, it's still a work in progress, and I simply don't know what to say about the random STN. Always from the base up, very very slow and completely indiscriminate as to which coral it decides to happen to at any given time.

I will take some new pictures in the next few weeks, been a crazy summer so far as it relates to work hours and business trips, so down town has been a little lacking.

Someone posted somewhere{ ? } that they finally found that they had stray electricity in their tank, and after correcting that problem, their STN stopped?

Hi dmorel. My name is salih. I'm from ankara (turkey). İ really love your tank. But if any excuses, i wanna ask u small question?
1) First of all; where can i buy tank, like yours?
2) what is this tank cost???
3)what is this tank specific measurements?
4) thanx for asking...

good work... (by the way)

Someone posted somewhere{ ? } that they finally found that they had stray electricity in their tank, and after correcting that problem, their STN stopped?

That's a good thought, I will have to check, things are pretty good right now, at least the SPS is doing well, now I have some acans that are not happy... Might be flow or light since I moved them and dropped them under a full LED fixture. We'll see.

Hi dmorel. My name is salih. I'm from ankara (turkey). İ really love your tank. But if any excuses, i wanna ask u small question?
1) First of all; where can i buy tank, like yours?
2) what is this tank cost???
3)what is this tank specific measurements?
4) thanx for asking...

good work... (by the way)

1. Boy, I have no idea. I found mine in a local shop. I happen to know it was a left over piece from a big cylinder made for a commercial deployment in a rainforest cafe, which is a big restaurant chain here in the states that puts up lots of big aquariums. Finding a tank like this is more luck than anything unless you are going to spend a LOT of money
2. I paid 1200 for the tank and stand, it was a bargain. I put a few more dollars into having an overflow built and then well a LOT more dollars into everything else. Like always, the tank and stand are nothing compared to the rest :)
3. It's a 5' diameter, 18" tall.
4. you're welcome and thank you for the nice compliment, good luck.

glad to hear it, always peaks and valleys in this business :)

Always. But it's good these days. I might take some pics later today when the light comes on, I didn't realize just how awful that cell phone shot was until I just looked at it again :)

Need to have something nicer than that as the last image in my thread...

nice

nice

the first circle tank ive seen here so far. the system is crazy. how many gallons evaporate from that system with that large uncovered tank?

Back