dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

i just love your tank, is it pretty quite?

Thanks. Yes, it's virtually silent unless the door to the equipment room is open, but around the tank itself you can barely hear anything. Sometimes I notice the hum of the ballasts I guess :)

SICK SICK SICK!!!!!

How is everything looking tonight my friend?

I'm still working on the restack. Thanks for the extra pair of hands. I had to quit about 6 last night, just couldn't mess with it anymore. Still a long way to go but I'll get there.

Man I really need to get over to you and check it out soon!!! I am creeping up on the six month mark but I'm no where close to what you've achieved in a year. Definitley would like to pick your brain on the cost of your two-part regimen as I'm still on the fence...Before I forget Congrats!:beer:

So it took about two weeks, but I think I'm done with the restack.

It's a little less dramatic from the front right now, but I really needed to open things up a bit. I removed a LOT of rock, two dinner plate+ sized pieces of idaho grape.
I also reset a bunch of the pumps and made two high flow designated areas for SPS and a lower flow section for acans.

Hope you enjoy the new pictures...

Full Tank Shot (from the "front")
fts.jpg

The front right SPS high flow section
rightIslandFront.jpg

From the "back" the right side sps section
rightIslandBack.jpg

from a little further back
rightIslandBackFurther.jpg

Across the "back" of the tank
acrossTheBack.jpg

Across the back from the other side
acrossTheBackOtherSide.jpg

the other high flow SPS section, on the other side of the tank (really hard to take photos here[/b]
leftIsland.jpg

Back section of tank, acan garden
acans.jpg

What a great tank you have there...just amazing growth and love the shallow reef.
Hats off to all the hard work you put into this build.

So a little info about what's been going on with the tank for anyone that's interested.

I have removed the 4 "won brothers" spot lights from use. Now I'm just running the 5 superkaru spots and the three MT 150's. That's 1200 watts of light total over the whole tank (and two little MX LED spotlights as well but that's just color)

I've done a few things with the restack. I've opened up a lot more flow in most areas of the tank and intentionally grouped the majority of the SPS into two "sections" with the heaviest flow. This has the net effect of limiting the overall fullness of the tank at the moment. But... it also allowed me to get some more open space feel. Unfortunately a lot of that came at the expense of the impressiveness of the tank from what I consider the "front" as the two sides and back of the tank now house the majority of the corals.
From a picture taking perspective this is a bummer. From a practical viewing of the tank standpoint, it's actually ideal, since there is a couch that runs behind the entire back section of the tank. Sitting on the couch is now a much more enjoyable experience with a lot going on.

On one side (my side really) there is a long views of lots of the nicest SPS and the RBTA's and their Picasso pair goofing around right there. From the other side (where my wife sits most often) a dozen plus acans, and another long view of SPS.

I'm going to need to do "something" on what appears to be the front left of the tank (where a small outcropping of rock is attempting to conceal a tunze in a deco rock) so hoping my boy Skip opens his new LFS sometime soon...

Other things I've done is increase the Alk a bit. I was running in the 7-8 range, but moved that up closer to the 9-10 range. I don't know if it was flow, Alk, or something else completely that caused my long and annoying bout of STN (all from the base up, ONLY from the base up) of some of my acro's. But I'm trying to fight it on all fronts.

Two part dosing is still in effect. Just over 300 ML's a day of both are keeping me steady.
I've added a few powerheads to the fuge to keep debris from settling there, and need to do the same to the water return chamber of the sump and a few other areas of the support system.

All in all, the tank is running really well. I've got a few pieces I'm really hoping to see color up and start to take off now that they have better light and flow (freaking efflo frags are doing NOTHING for me and I so want them to grow out).

its quite possible the lower Alk could be responsible for the STN at the bases, hopefully raising it a bit and keeping it steady will resolve that issue.

its quite possible the lower Alk could be responsible for the STN at the bases, hopefully raising it a bit and keeping it steady will resolve that issue.

I sure hope that's it. I never felt like it was in the "danger zone" but have been doing some reading that suggest a little higher certainly can't hurt. I'm going to be testing every other day to make sure I have the dosing level keeping it stable rather than climbing. Will keep you posted for sure. I am liking the new flow patterns a lot too, really seeing a lot more PE now.

Back