dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

Hey D,...following along if you don't mind. I seen your post on Elliott's thread and got nosy.
Your tank looks really interesting and a lot of thought,...looking forward to posts on the changes you have made :)---Rick

Thanks guys. I'm super excited to have water, rock, and some fishes in there again. Just a couple more years, and we might be back to where we were before.

The flow now is phenomenal. We added a fourth return to the closed loop and put in an ocean motions 3 to randomize, it's working really well so far.

I'll keep you updated as new things happen. Super happy having someone doing most of the hard work, he's been a great addition to the round reef's chances of becoming the tank it once was.

Also doing two complete QT systems (fish & coral obviously) this time around. It does mean the automatic water change system will be gone ;( but my QT practices in the past were suspect, and I don't want to go through another crash, so this time it's getting done right!

For what it is worth,...I subscribe to Elliott's method. Seems how he handles his fish works well, and I like how he handles his corals,... they have all the same parameters and lighting as the DT after QT,....ready to go :thumbsup:

Oh for sure. Elliott is an inspiration to many, myself included. I could only hope to do nearly half as well as him in any department. I'll sift through his thread and read the details on his method. We have a decent plan at the moment, but nothing is set in stone yet, so I'll be interested to read what he's doing exactly. Thanks for the tip. ;)

Corals out of QT.

Sorry for cell phone pic, but the tank is finally starting to come back to life...

QuuwD1I.jpg

Slow going. Growth is really good. Color is a little off.

Probably going to make it out to PROP this weekend and load up the QT though - so I'll hopefully being saying hello to a few of you locals.

How much does this amazing tank evaporate each day? /Samuel

To be honest, I don't really know. I have a 55 gallon drum of RODI that is plumbed to the sump to top off as needed. There is a ceiling fan over the tank, but it's drawing air UP not pushing down (so the heat from the halides goes up) so that doesn't add a lot of evap. I do have an AC unit in the sump room now - one of this ductless mini splits just to combat the AZ summers - and that probably has increased the evap a little. If I had to guess, 10-15 gallons a day, but I've never measured.

I've been following your tank from the start. Always impressed. Glad to see things up and running again. Looking forward to updates.

Back