Do I get out or stay?

Hey guys, long time no talk. I was on vacation this July, and had my brother house sit / watch the tank. He has no reefing experience, but his only job was to feed the fish, and empty the skimmer. Everything else was automatic. Anyways, straight to the point.... I came home with all my sps colonies either fully rtnd or half way into it. My frags at that point all looked okay. I automatically did a waterchange and started testing. My alk was at 4.5 and cal at 410. So my alk dosing pump broke on me and that was that. Within the week all my frags reacted and stnd. After that I lost all interest and just gave up on it all. I kept all my fish and zoas to this day but just haven't had any motivation to start all over. I love this hobby, what do you guys usually do to keep your interests and motivation going?

Wow we were wondering where you went. Sorry to hear that, I had a similar situation last year. Lots of my sps were stn or rtn and I couldn't figure out why. My kids were my main source for sticking it out then, but whenever I had friends or family members over then would always be in awe of how the tank looked(even though I thought it looked very bad.) Go look at the nice stuff that John has just got in or visit tom b. or tim tfp's tank, that will do it. Come to the feag swap to get some more sps to get your confidence back.

Thats my 2cents. I vote stay.

Anthony

Dang Eugene, I was hoping everything with you was ok. You gotta stay. With all your friends in MARS we should be able to get you motivated to stay. Let me know what you need and I'll be happy to help out. Besides, I owe you a ride to a frag swap so get ready and I'll pick you up.

Its really a personal question\decision. When I had my issues and at one time thought of getting out I looked at what I knew I could do. So I decided to make it into a positive situation. I could take out all my live rock and then rescape it all. Move the sand around. Really star to dip and semi qt. Change my sump configuration. All things I believe that would help me be successful.

So in saying all that I do hope you stay. Let me know if you need any help.

Hugo

I can't give motivation but can say I just bought a tank after leaving the hobby. You wont miss it till it gone.

Stay in and get a new brother. I have a fat piece of sunset Monti if you want it. I can make some other frags as well. But only if you stay in.

Its really a personal question\decision.

This is the only answer you that matters imo.

The majority of people on here will tell you to stick around as that is what a community forum board is about, but at the end of the day, it's about personal motivation.

I had my chance to get out of the hobby a few years ago. I even lined up a few people to take all of my livestock, but I stuck around, re-evaluated the way I look at the hobby, and I'm still here. My passion for this hobby will never be same, but there are those brief moments when I'm fired up and enjoy feeding my fish and being frustrated over corals.

:thumbsup:

Wow just looking at this thread is inspiring look at all the help that comes on this community... Makes me want to join mars more and more really wish I could afford to be a member also wish I could help out your tank but for now will just wish you the best and say that you will miss it if you get out... If you want out cuz you just want out but don't quit cuz of a rough patch... Best of luck

Tyler

Hey guys, long time no talk. I was on vacation this July, and had my brother house sit / watch the tank. He has no reefing experience, but his only job was to feed the fish, and empty the skimmer. Everything else was automatic. Anyways, straight to the point.... I came home with all my sps colonies either fully rtnd or half way into it. My frags at that point all looked okay. I automatically did a waterchange and started testing. My alk was at 4.5 and cal at 410. So my alk dosing pump broke on me and that was that. Within the week all my frags reacted and stnd. After that I lost all interest and just gave up on it all. I kept all my fish and zoas to this day but just haven't had any motivation to start all over. I love this hobby, what do you guys usually do to keep your interests and motivation going?

I feel you one this one... I've been battling dinoflagellates for the past 2 months, lost $300 in fish, now I'm so unmotivated with this tank and considering taking a break, aka (getting out for a while and starting over some day.)

Definitely understand your situation. Just about a year ago, Jeff was away for about 9 weeks for work and I was taking care of our 180. Jeff came home to a tank where the phosphates were at .4 and all the other chemistries were off. I hadn't realized that some of the equipment was not functioning properly. We lost a lot, but not all, of our sps. Obviously, we stuck it out but there were some dark days as we filled the trash can with skeletons.

I now enjoy looking at a few of the corals (a Hawkins in particular) that made it thru my "care" that have grown and colored up nicely.

This was a good learning experience for me... I hope Jeff is never away for that long again but I know I have some great friends here to call on if I ever need help.

You've got great equipment and plenty of friends here to get you frags to get rolling again. The rest is up to you...

Best of luck whatever you decide Eugene.

I have a bunch of traveling to do in the next 8 weeks between work and vacations. I'm kind of preparing myself mentally for the tank to go backward. Hopefully that will help...

Plus 1 on what Anne said about good equipment helping out a lot.

h7010FFFE

I likewise wanted to get out before. Been in it for 12 years now. Tore down, rebuilt and changed the things i didnt like. I lost all but one coral at my lowest, but am happy that i stayed in. I enjoy this hobby still. Likewise, if you want any frags that i have to help replace lost ones, more than welcome to.

Eugene, you need to take care of your family and any personal issues first and take a break but don't sell your equipment. You can always go back in when you are ready. Honestly, northern cal is boring unless you preoccupy yourself with something. I got 2 kids and a wife so my life is never dull. Coming from a guy who travels a lot and maintains an sps reef it is doable if you fully automate everything. FYI, whether I am doing 2 part or a ca Rx, I always have a kalk wasser reactor going. You probably would not hit 4.5 alk if you were at least dosing kalk. Good luck!

WOW, didn't expect so many replies! With all my personal issues its been really hard to concentrate and put time into the tank. Looks like I have to get my tank ready for the frag swap :bounce3: Thanks for the motivation everyone

This is the only answer you that matters imo.

The majority of people on here will tell you to stick around as that is what a community forum board is about, but at the end of the day, it's about personal motivation.

I had my chance to get out of the hobby a few years ago. I even lined up a few people to take all of my livestock, but I stuck around, re-evaluated the way I look at the hobby, and I'm still here. My passion for this hobby will never be same, but there are those brief moments when I'm fired up and enjoy feeding my fish and being frustrated over corals.

:thumbsup:

I feel you one this one... I've been battling dinoflagellates for the past 2 months, lost $300 in fish, now I'm so unmotivated with this tank and considering taking a break, aka (getting out for a while and starting over some day.)

In the same boat right now myself, between work, school, having tank mishaps and the frag tank leaking and then losing some fish that I was looking for for a long time and made me excited again only to lose them. Like you lost about $300 in livestock last month, (don't even want to think what I spend), been on the fence about taking a break myself :(.

Back