dont go to Todds

I was at Todds trop about a week ago and saw a dead cleaner goby not really a big deal.... I was just their yesterday and the same fish was still dead in the tank. I also saw 3 other dead fish, a nice bird wrasse on his last leg (I gues tail would be better) and a regal angel that I actually felt sorry for. Plus I thought the coral prices were crazy.....

Not only did I see all of this, but it seems everytime I'm in the store the workers don't really want to help you. Its like they are mad they have to go catch a fish of grab some coral. Great customer service!!

Sorry to vent but I will never be back. I would feel better buying fish from Petco.

that is too bad. i wonder why they arent taking care of the place. it has been years since i have been in there, but i remember it being very well maintained.

I wonder if the owner is aware of these issues if not that would be the person to talk to. There are few good fish stores as it is i would hate to see more go under. But if you were dealing directly with the owner then i guess they are getting what they deserve with this thread.

Ha, when the owner isn't there it's his son running the place. The place is a joke. Buy online at reef hot spot, they rock. I just bought a shipment and it was top notch.

I was there when the owner was present and he has the same attitude as everyone there. I was standing at the register waiting to get some fish food and Todd wouldn't even turn to look my way. That has happened a few to many times there in the past and I will not go back. I remember going to his shop in the 80's and not much has changed. I guess he is like Mark @ Sherman Tank( you like him or you don't).

I think it's it and miss there. It is a block from my office so I go once in a while. Sometimes they are freindly and want to help sometimes they won't. I have seen them put frags in their tanks. They go right in. No precautions whatsoever. They had come from me so they were ok but they didn't know that. If you do buy make sure to use preventive maintence and dip.

I'd say its more miss then hit. I like the signs by the fish saying they will not give discounts or match anyone else's prices.

Fish Palace is really close to Todds and Andy the owner is a hobbyist, not just a business owner, so he’s good to talk to. The fish prices are the best I've seen around and I've never had an issue that Andy didn't take care of immediately. We do have several good LFS so what I’m recommending is if you’re going to Todds, go visit Fish Palace.

I agree with you about fish palace. When Im in the area I like to stop in....

I have also traded in fish at Todds and they just dump them right in water and all.

As I never went to Todds, It sounds like Todd doesn't share a passion for the hobby, (is it necessary for a SW fish store owner to be?... I don’t think so) However, if you’re not going to show an interest in your customers needs than you’re destine to fail. Now, is it that he just doesn’t know what he’s doing? Or is he just so burned out by the pushiness of hobbyist… hearing the same questions, “Will you match the prices of Fish Palace?” and so on. I think of this like the soup nazi, If you have a product that everyone wants and can’t get it anywhere else than you can afford being a jerk. But, when you have a competitor right around the corner, than you don’t have that luxury.

If Todd is susceptible to advice than I would advise him and his employees take a customer service course (I guarantee it will come back 10 fold in sales).

I'm glad you mentioned Fish Palace. I didn't even know there was another store that way. I will have to go by and take a look. Always a good reason to go bumming.

Has anybody made a list lately of Denver and NoCo LFS? I know artful dodger had done one with reviews a while back, but I think it's a little out of date. I'm hoping to head down to Greeley (AA and Don's) for sure this weekend, and wouldn't mind hitting a place or two in Denver if anyone could recommend some good ones. I'm in need of a Koralia Nano, and I'll be looking for some frags to go in my 9g nano.

Can I get the address for Fish Palace? I looked it up on line and the only one I found was also a BBQ so I doubt if that is the one you are talking about.

One thing about Todd's is that the owner, has been around for about a hundred years and really doesn't care anymore. His kids usually run the place and are bad business folk on a good day, despicable on an average day.
Todd's is not the super sterile shop that is the newest incarnation of the business. It is an old school full line aquarium shop.
Bill

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14844434#post14844434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mef_rn98
Has anybody made a list lately of Denver and NoCo LFS? I know artful dodger had done one with reviews a while back, but I think it's a little out of date. I'm hoping to head down to Greeley (AA and Don's) for sure this weekend, and wouldn't mind hitting a place or two in Denver if anyone could recommend some good ones. I'm in need of a Koralia Nano, and I'll be looking for some frags to go in my 9g nano.

I'm honestly don't think you are going to find any place close to where you are going that will top either of those two shops. I think AA is great for fish(they get a lot of different fish in and have great prices) and Don's is excellent for corals. They also have a good selection of equipment at Dons(including Koralias). I don't head down to Denver any more. The better stores are further down south and I just haven't seen too many that are better than what we have up here. Just doesn't seem worth the gas any more.

I agree w/ mill on if your coming from Wy mef! Save your gas and go top Dons or AA. Jon is very help full and is very knowledgeable and Im starting to think that Aaron is a bit bipolar the last time i was in there he just seemed a bit rude, and other times he is real cool. Non the less both shops have a ton of goodies to be had!

can't say enough about AA and Don's they are both very good shops and very helpful. I have had great talks and help from arron at AA. both shops will help you and both carry most items that you need.

I have definetly seen alot of these issues arising at todd's over the past couple months. I primarily go there just to pick up water, but usually walk around and look into the tanks as well. On any given trip there are like 4-6 dead fish in the tanks. Some of the living ones have also seen better days. I know around christmas todd took a spill and hurt his back pretty bad. So I am not sure if he is just not spending as much time looking after the store anymore. He is a knowledgeible guy, but I think he is just looking towards retirement. Its a shame, because he is owns one of the largest fish stores on this side of town.

Back