Dream build 850+ gallon reef tank

mesee2

I am posting this as i seem to be pushing Z to think a bit to hard..

==
Feel free to pick apart my rambling at will.. only thing i have committed to currently is the tank and i have a few weeks to iron out details.

==
I am having an 850+ gallon tank built its 120 x 48 x 36h flat back hex made with 1 inch acrylic
I am working on the plumbing and flow numbers trying to come to a realistic expectation, between affordable, quite (not just quieter than a pool pump, but like sleep next to it)
Really I want quite, and I also don't want to see wires in the Display Tank or ear muffs stuck to the sides..

The design will have a full length over flow - on the back of the tank ... about 119 x 6 x 18h over flow box which will have the drains
currently thinking of configuring 2 full bean animal drain setups in the overflow with 2inch plumbing
The Sump will be 72 x 36 x 18h with refugium, i am still thinking i need to make it taller to handle the power down draining of the pipes and overflow

I am looking for a full tank flow of ~10,000 gph to start
Expecting to setup the Sump to start at about 6,000 gph, future may be 9,000 gph
Initial thought was return pumps of either RedDrag 3 150w - (3 to start) or Abyzz A200 (2 to start)
-- the tank stand will be 42 inch tall so the head hight will be at least 2m for the returns
-- considering using eductors on the returns and closed loop

I am considering 2 x closed loops driven by RedDragon 80w to start, and possibly swaping to 150w version or bigger later
- also considering pushing the closed loop through at least one Oceans Motion to randomize the flow

Alternately i could probably add something like a single Panta Rhei ECM 42 or 63 .. but there is no documentation about actual dB level or vibrations.
I have heard a number of the drop in propeller pumps and they all have a low vibrarion / hum and that will make me pull my hair out over time.
I dont like hearing the refrigerator pop and make noise every few hours.. (yes ocd much)

Any input on sound level or vibrations for the closed loop or Panta Rhei i would appreciate.
I would prefer not to do the Panta Rhei (only due to the power wires in the tank are ugly) but the water movement per watt is like 4 times that of the other pumps or more, so i cant rule it out.

- any one use the Panta Rhei and do they last and are they quite?

* Yes I know i left out the other fun stuff like Skimmer, Lights, ATO, Automation - but baby steps before i commit to another 10k

** what will i put in the tank - answer is it depends on how much money i have left when i am done.. it will start out with fish but would like to move to mixed tank over 1-3 yrs.

Important notes:

There will nearly 1000 gallons in total water volume. Yes there will be controllers. There will be water mixing station and as he mentioned ATO. So far the biggest challange is reducing humming and vibration to as much as possible. Lighting at first will not be too crazy. Skinning ideas are in the works for stand and canopy.

I Put the pumps on the other side of the wall in the garage, and put breaks in the pipe with the black rubber unions. That made my return pump nearly silent. A wp60 is the loudest thing in my tank probably followed by the mp40qd.

The other side if the wall us my master bath and bedroom
I am already planing on removing my vanity mirror and making an access panel from the bath room side and tieing into the wet wall for drains and water.
I am on the fence with making my linen closet a Rodi staging area with 2 x 75 or 90 gallon roto tanks
Or I have to run plumbing to the attic and over to garage about 30 ft away,
Ceiling is about 17ft in that room

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Holy hell, dude. This sounds amazing. I have a one inch frag I can sell you...and I think there is some guy on Facebook TBRC who is selling a 45$ pinfish. Hahahahaha. Good luck. Following along~

If u want no power heads in the tank. Why not do multiple pumps for closed loops. I would do 4 vortech dc pumps for closed loop. One outlet per pump with a Y. U can even put the Y outlet on a slow rotation device to randomize the flow. As far as return flow I would divide the return up into 2-3 pumps also. That is is u r not willing to use a reeflow hammer head pump as it could move enough water on its own if u have enough water moving in the closed loops.

Considering breaking down and allowing 1 wire in the tank to run either a hydro wizard ecm 42 or 63..
the ECM 42 is so efficient it would be an easy safeguard when paired with an ice cap battery pack to keep movement if there is a power outage.

depending on the final costs may not get the house generator in for another year.
Typically I have about 1-2 power outages a year of 30mins to 4 hrs. all other power issues are usually less than 5 mins.

If you're going to use that many Red Dragon pumps I would recommend reaching out to Scott on the Large Reef Tank forum, he's their rep for the US. I would personally plan on less flow to the sump and more flow in tank if you're concerned about noise. I think keeping 6k gph quiet going through a sump would be extremely difficult.

If you're going to use that many Red Dragon pumps I would recommend reaching out to Scott on the Large Reef Tank forum, he's their rep for the US. I would personally plan on less flow to the sump and more flow in tank if you're concerned about noise. I think keeping 6k gph quiet going through a sump would be extremely difficult.

Good advise, especially if a closed loop is used. I would actually do some research on Luguna pond pumps since (at least they used to) have the same motor block as the Red Dragons (might not anymore, but used to be Askol based motor blocks on both and I know repair of red dragons sometimes involved using the laguna motor blocks). Crank up the internal circulation and get the flow through the sump to something managable. Just getting 10K gal/hr to the sump is going to be a challenge mostly due to the overflow, but I also see your not using weir gates but open flow. Your eurobracing on the top is going to limit the total free area of the overflow (tank builder will no doubt know how much surface area he wants to use on top of tank for cross bracing). Two 2" true bean animal siphons will pull way more than you can supply so good choice. Make sure you use gate valves please!!! (ball valves to hard to adjust). The bean is a good quiet set up if you follow it's basic design (sump drains are set up for siphon, not free flow into socks).

Sounds really exciting for sure!!! 10 foot x 4 foot x 3 foot :dance::dance::dance:

Sounds really exciting for sure!!! 10 foot x 4 foot x 3 foot :dance::dance::dance:[/QUOTE]

Would be great to look at. Nothing I want to have to reach into and maintain

Aaron, we will reach out. Also you bring up a good point this thread might be better in the large builds forum. Mike gate valves are already in specs and bean animal will be a must.

Aaron, we will reach out. Also you bring up a good point this thread might be better in the large builds forum. Mike gate valves are already in specs and bean animal will be a must.

Yeah a lot of good resources over there.

It's been a while since my last update
I have been busy shopping the parts and waiting on the tank
Tonight I just picked up the stand and we'll not sure if the stand is for my tank or my truck
Not sure I can upload the pics tonight but will add the tomorrow

20161230_170732.jpg

Back