Dream build 850+ gallon reef tank

Not sure how I missed this but I do not understand peoples thinking and I say it a lot. OCD I get but not hearing your tank run seems insane to me. My tank runs Durso's and people ask all the time how I got them so quiet but.... I want to hear my tank. I want to know without looking everytime I walk into my house that my tank is running. Anything that moves makes at least some noise. There is absolutely no way to get around it. Yes you can dampen the noise but if tiny things like a modern refrigerator in the other room kicking on bothers you I am not so sure what to tell you. Except get used to a little noise if you plan to keep a reef tank. Get used to the sound of every pump so you know when something has gone wrong.

As for Red Dragons you can also reach out to HP Corals since he is a new local dealer of ghl, Royal Exclusive and Fauna Marin. Just know going into it that you cannot run 2 red dragon dc pumps on the same GFCI outlet. At least the lower cost ones. You might get away with it in better ones.

I want to say WWC has some Panta Rhei pumps in one of their systems. I can't say how worth it they are but you may call them to ask what they think of them.

If you run the Red Dragon pumps closed loop you can program random flow patterns on an Apex or Profilux type system. No power heads needed in the tank. Nothing on the inside or outside of the tank except the bottom and back. Myself or several others can help with that if you are not familiar with how to do that.

Am I allowed to shake my head on the Bean animal must thing? lol Wink Wink only kidding.

My tank is much smaller than yours but as always I invite people over to see how and why I do things. My tank is quieter than last time Z was here and I believe he was one that mentioned how quiet it was before. For a durso.

Pump

Pump

Not sure how I missed this but I do not understand peoples thinking and I say it a lot. OCD I get but not hearing your tank run seems insane to me. My tank runs Durso's and people ask all the time how I got them so quiet but.... I want to hear my tank. I want to know without looking everytime I walk into my house that my tank is running. Anything that moves makes at least some noise. There is absolutely no way to get around it. Yes you can dampen the noise but if tiny things like a modern refrigerator in the other room kicking on bothers you I am not so sure what to tell you. Except get used to a little noise if you plan to keep a reef tank. Get used to the sound of every pump so you know when something has gone wrong.

As for Red Dragons you can also reach out to HP Corals since he is a new local dealer of ghl, Royal Exclusive and Fauna Marin. Just know going into it that you cannot run 2 red dragon dc pumps on the same GFCI outlet. At least the lower cost ones. You might get away with it in better ones.

I want to say WWC has some Panta Rhei pumps in one of their systems. I can't say how worth it they are but you may call them to ask what they think of them.

If you run the Red Dragon pumps closed loop you can program random flow patterns on an Apex or Profilux type system. No power heads needed in the tank. Nothing on the inside or outside of the tank except the bottom and back. Myself or several others can help with that if you are not familiar with how to do that.

Am I allowed to shake my head on the Bean animal must thing? lol Wink Wink only kidding.

My tank is much smaller than yours but as always I invite people over to see how and why I do things. My tank is quieter than last time Z was here and I believe he was one that mentioned how quiet it was before. For a durso.

Reeferman1019 you should see the skimmer and actual tank and sump :) .

Rob thanks we will be using hpc for sure on some other stuff. The red dragons have been ordered 4 x 230 watt for closed loop and returns. We are aware of the gfci part and it should not impact us as a series of outlets and circuits are being installed soon. Another reason for red dragon is also electrical cost (granted we know the extra $$$$ on pumps will never have a ROI when the actual bill comes in, but it is nice to know his footprint for power is less than my 330 gallon). We almost went with Abyzz ap400 and APC module to give us wave functions and burst and a monster 10 year Warrenty. On the OCD part leave it 2 data center engineers to over engineer automation :) we plan on back ups for the back ups and did I mention the back ups for that too. I am pretty sure we will placing monitors for alerts along with visual aids like HD 1080 cameras around tank and stand.

Been animal is really for external overflow and for the ability to turn over well north of 10k gph if we wanted to do so (and yes we accounted for weir limitation). The tank itself will have a coast to coast overflow so to keep it short why not have Bean animal or anything else. We are going to try mock stage tank stand and pluming and try many options. We will post pictures of designs and renderings soon.

We have to go back to Mikes soon so if you are around we will call you to stop by. I need to text hpc to see if we can stop by as well.

Last edited:
As always just let me now Z.

We used to run 3600 gph through stock all glass overflows using dursos. ;-) I know it can be done quietly. 10,000 would be no problem. Anything your overflow can handle so can properly built dursos. I do understand fads though. I prefer just as good with less hassle.

Emmett will be happy to have you guys stop by. You probably need to pick corals and pre order larger frag if possible.

Build.

Build.

How did I miss this? I'm following for sure. šŸ˜ƒ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TheAquatech I was sure I mentioned this to you. Here is the stand with future skimmer.

As you can see mock up of many things are going on. Electric (yes tank will have its own sub panel). Drain plumbing for auto water changer. Tank is a long way from water. On a positive note tank should be here this week.

We have many drygoods already and even rock is almost cycled I will post some of the items later.

You did, just didn't make the connection. Love that pic of you on the stand!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Updates:

Updates:

After months of planning and designing and re-deigning and years of talking about it the tank has arrived. Since there is a limit of 10 images per response I will break this update into 3 parts.
1. Tank
2. Arrival
3. Equipment

Tank:
Tank is a flat back hex approximately 120 long 48 wide and 36 high with external overflow.
Front:
119x48x36%20Flat%20Back%20Hex%20-%20Coast%20to%20Coast%20External%20Overflow%20-Front1_zpsidrux7zp.jpg

Rear:
119x48x36%20Flat%20Back%20Hex%20-%20Coast%20to%20Coast%20External%20Overflow%20-Rear%20ISO_zpsltwzc9hx.jpg

Stand:
Aluminum%20Stand%20-%20ISO1_zpspoaphimb.jpg

ABS Custom Pan:
20170129_160007_zpsezzsyex3.jpg

Here is the tank and proud owner:
20170127_163919_zpsio2w0atr.jpg

Arrival

Arrival

As everyone knows moving a tank is always a challenge: In this case we used 8 guys and 2 lift tables.
20170127_153102_zpsiv80tipm.jpg

Start of unloading:
tankmove2_zpszowix1ie.jpg

Sump:
tankmove3_zpsvviqkmon.jpg

tankmove4_zpspknue858.jpg

tankmove5_zpsqdrretkf.jpg

tankmove6_zpsuu188qgx.jpg

tankmove9_zpsdx1dlh0q.jpg

Arrival part 2

Arrival part 2

tankmove7_zpswux1cxsj.jpg

tankmove10_zpsza0nwt8q.jpg

tankmove11_zpsdnwpoaql.jpg

20170127_160306_zpscggwu0qq.jpg

Inside house view
tankmove12_zpsinlo8w9t.jpg

tankmove13_zps2u6nakzj.jpg

There was some causality :) to landscaping
20170127_161611_zpsabfb11ug.jpg

Last edited:
Equipment PART 1

Equipment PART 1

Sump is a Tsunami custom sump 72x36x20 with built in refugium.
20170127_162026_zps3tleykrg.jpg

20170127_161953_zpswpgmldmy.jpg

20170127_161940_zpsbmv8wpbk.jpg

20170127_161925_zpsfnamd2c7.jpg

ABS pan:
Pan is made go underneath stand and can hold over 40+ gallons if leaked
20170127_153342_zpscecv6neu.jpg

Return and closed loop pumps:
4 x Royal Exclusive Red dragon speedy 3 230watt. 2 will be for returns and 2 will be used for closed loops.

20170127_140916_zpsef5fwpty.jpg

20170127_140804_zps4ldexqxf.jpg

20170125_204736_resized_zpsatcnkinb.jpg

20170125_204751_resized_zps8wux0ee1.jpg

20170125_204743_resized_zpsjkfi6haw.jpg

Bit of history and things to know when getting these pumps.

Originaly to keep cost and noise down I recommended these pumps. After reading up on Abyzz and ACS modules I changed my opinion to abyzz but after getting pricing we both agreed the red dragons was a better value. We spent months discussing weather to go oceans motions with red dragons or Abyzz ap400 / ap200 with ACS. Once we ordered we also learned that the APEX cable to the 230 model only extra. Also we learned that the length of cable from pump to controller was fixed and not extensions are available. I will post link on this direct from Royal.

Pre prep

Pre prep

Pre Tank arrival Preping:

20170125_204425_zps2jefbbae.jpg

20170125_204446_zpsnorhuzes.jpg

New Electrical and RJ6 cabling with dedicated Subpanel:
20170125_204322_resized_zpsw5g77czq.jpg

On the stand mesee2 went the extra mile and purchased 2 3/4 10x4 furniture grade plywood for tank to rest on.

Mesee2 is a perfectionist. So you are correct it will not be white. Also all plumbing will be oversized. 2" all over which is a challange finding multi colors in that size. Tank is capable of turning over 20k gph. Will post more on overflow design.

The scale of that thing is insane! With that height it will be really nice to look at. Are you planning any kind of removable platform running the length of the tank, to stand on for maintenance?

lol

lol

The scale of that thing is insane! With that height it will be really nice to look at. Are you planning any kind of removable platform running the length of the tank, to stand on for maintenance?

It has come up in conversations many times. Including tearing down the wall behind it to create a access.

Joe,

We have discussed everything from hanging buddy harness
md_0gQsFhUjapRI.png

to railing system and even having building scaffold.

scaffolding_zpsd2xcwvg8.jpg

Back