drummereef's 180g in-wall build

Obviously haven't cleaned the collection cup yet but dang, that's some serious dank happening in there. [emoji23] So far it's been a dream to dial in.

9a2c13c0a777a4a1817b04fb54af5112.jpg

WireManagementFinished-11.jpg~original

WireManagementFinished-14.jpg~original

Hi Brett

Question about the wiring from the second EB8, that goes behind the wall. Were in relation to the EB8 are the outlets it powers, and what equipment do you have hooked up to it?

And any reason why you ran it behind and not distribute it via conduit like the other one?

Amazing build, very impressive!

EDIT: Never mind, I see that they go to the ballasts and the fan modules. What are they cooling? and whats in the big grey box close to that?

thanks

Last edited:
Hi Brett

Question about the wiring from the second EB8, that goes behind the wall. Were in relation to the EB8 are the outlets it powers, and what equipment do you have hooked up to it?

And any reason why you ran it behind and not distribute it via conduit like the other one?

Amazing build, very impressive!

EDIT: Never mind, I see that they go to the ballasts and the fan modules. What are they cooling? and whats in the big grey box close to that?

thanks
Hey Neil, that's right - initially I only had one EB8 which is the one wired through conduit that feed the outlets near the tank. The 2nd EB8 was added later, ideally it would also have been conduit but the amount of wires would have been a spaghetti mess. This was the best solution I had at the time for both function and well... aesthetics. [emoji2]

The drivers and fan modules are for the LED light bars I built, you can see them a couple pics back if you look at my light rack above the tank. The gray box houses the terminal strip for the LED light bar and all the wiring connection from the drivers and VDM module - again just to keep it all organized.

I'll post a more updated pic as some of the components have changed since this photo... I no longer run halides and the panel configuration has changed to accommodate some new stuff. [emoji106]

Yeah but when you've played that song literally hundreds of times over the last 15 years... not so much. :lol: Phil Collins is the man, love his music and drumming.

We would have loved to see him live. I did not appreciate him enough when we were younger. I always enjoyed his music, but never realised his genius. but Watching video of his live performances and story tellers gave me a whole new appreciation for him.

obviously I am reading the whole thread. love reading thread that suffer from OCD. :lol:

We would have loved to see him live. I did not appreciate him enough when we were younger. I always enjoyed his music, but never realised his genius. but Watching video of his live performances and story tellers gave me a whole new appreciation for him.

obviously I am reading the whole thread. love reading thread that suffer from OCD. [emoji38]
The Phil Collins show, Seriously Live in Berlin 1990 is one of his best! (On YouTube) [emoji851][emoji106]

Welcome back Brett! That is a beast of a skimmer.

Photobucket ate thousands of my pics too. I never had a problem with paying them, but $400 a year was robbery, they made an offer for some of us non-commercial people for $100 a year, which is fair enough, so I caved.

You guys had to bring up Phil Collins. I'll give Mrs Music a little backround she may not know. When Genesis was around he was also working as one of the best session musicians in the business. He wrote music and played with most of the bigger bands in music. When Peter left and he became a singer, everything changed. No offence to Peter, but the band gelled better without him. Phil kept running around doing gigs with many of the big names. When he went solo, people started understanding how good he really was. Just an example.

If you know music, you can see the other guys he played with on that cut. The rest of Genesis were no slouches either. Everybody remembers Peter, but how bout Michael?

And from the way back machine.

Back to Brett's tank.

Hey Neil, that's right - initially I only had one EB8 which is the one wired through conduit that feed the outlets near the tank. The 2nd EB8 was added later, ideally it would also have been conduit but the amount of wires would have been a spaghetti mess. This was the best solution I had at the time for both function and well... aesthetics. [emoji2]

The drivers and fan modules are for the LED light bars I built, you can see them a couple pics back if you look at my light rack above the tank. The gray box houses the terminal strip for the LED light bar and all the wiring connection from the drivers and VDM module - again just to keep it all organized.

I'll post a more updated pic as some of the components have changed since this photo... I no longer run halides and the panel configuration has changed to accommodate some new stuff. [emoji106]

Thanks for the info- looking forward to the updated pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys had to bring up Phil Collins. I'll give Mrs Music a little backround she may not know. When Genesis was around he was also working as one of the best session musicians in the business. He wrote music and played with most of the bigger bands in music. When Peter left and he became a singer, everything changed. No offence to Peter, but the band gelled better without him. Phil kept running around doing gigs with many of the big names. When he went solo, people started understanding how good he really was. Just an example.

If you know music, you can see the other guys he played with on that cut. The rest of Genesis were no slouches either. Everybody remembers Peter, but how bout Michael?

And from the way back machine.

Back to Brett's tank.

The amount of talent that came from Genesis is hard to even wrap my head around, even nowadays looking back. Incredible songwriting and production from all of those guys!

New riser for the skimmer just arrived. I call it the "EZ-Riser". [emoji23] 1" thick King Starboard from Tap Plastics. I'll post more pics once I get it installed.

3e85ca951b9ad7098236d496e39ec98d.jpg

d587e860ac121410e4788f1d17d5ee15.jpg

Here's the King Starboard installed. 16"x16", thickness is 1". I like this even better than my old DIY eggcrate stand because detritus can't build up under the skimmer. And most important, it looks good. Haha [emoji2]

f3ac0fd880927351fd4e00fcd5577772.jpg

Hey Brett

Me again!!

Another couple quick questions on your electrical-

1) fir your eb8/ conduit runs, did you use 12awg thhn, since that's rated for 20amps and you have 20 amp circuits? Or 14awg since the eb8 has an in-built 15 amp breaker? Would be slightly easier to run the 14awg.

2) did you add any outlets around the room, independent of the eb8/conduit runs? To run random seldom used equipment? If no, have you found that you should have added 2 or 3?

I'm a couple weeks out from wiring my fishroom and was wondering if I should be adding additional outlets around the room. I'll have 2 x eb8/ conduits runs, but was thinking of adding 5-6 duplex outlets around the room just in case. Little incremental cost, but kind of a pain to do with the plywood walls. Just not convinced they will be needed , but Wang to be prepared. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Excited to share a new toy that came today. [emoji225] If I can manage to figure this Tapatalk app out I'll be posting more pics and a review soon. Thank you Luke at Premium Aquatics for getting this skimmer sent out quickly! [emoji106]

ff7d4b4e529e17839b316184cf18108f.jpg

You have been running this for almost a year now, what do you think?

I have been toying with the idea of replacing my euroreef with this exact model in my 225 (sort of why I have been dragging my feet on your ballests).

You have been running this for almost a year now, what do you think?

I have been toying with the idea of replacing my euroreef with this exact model in my 225 (sort of why I have been dragging my feet on your ballests).
You definitely need my ballasts first. [emoji51][emoji51] Kidding... It's a great skimmer. I like the float switch shutoff. It's never triggered in my case but it's nice having it. Cleaning the lid is a little bit of a pain since the float switch is wired to it but something you get used to. Hope this helps!

This was the thread that inspired my current build. I was happy to see it on the front page again but sad to see that Photobucket has ruined another epic thread.

So glad I happened to archive almost the entire thread via PDF before Photobucket started their nonsense--I have solid pics and all the posts up to #5000.:beer:

Back