DSB in a bucket for nitrate control

There are no fixed ratios that work or don't work. Many claim 50%-100% of DT. A depth of 4"-6" would promote de-nitrification.
Patrick

1St though This thread and most peoples input has been a wealth of knowledge/opinions thank you.

Plan to run my RDSB Off a tee + gate from my return and empty back in the fuge. Does this matter vs flowing back to the return section?

SUMP
fuge/return/skimmer/drain

Last edited:
Sorry, but Siporax will not provide an environment for bacteria to convert nitrates to nitrogen gas. In fact for most tanks it's useless as there is more than enough surface area on live rock, sand, glass, plumbing and equipment for nitrifying bacteria to live.

You guys are confusing two different types of bacteria. The RDSB is for "TRUE" exporting of nitrates (actually "completing" the nitrogen cycle), not assimilating them like typical algae turf scrubbers or macro algae refugiums. Siporax, noodles, bio balls, etc. is only converting nitrites to nitrates, that's it.

I see no way possible for this product to provide the environment for denitrifying bacteria. In fact the label even states "under certain conditions". What does that mean? It certainly doesn't mean under the condition of rich oxygenated tank water flowing through the media.

And if your RDSB is collecting "dirt" or rather detritus and smells then it's not setup properly.

Last edited:
The "certain conditions" have alot to do with being placed in a low flow area of the system.
I have used it and it works...takes time to establish , though....
Another method is a remote plenum /jaubert/NNR tank ....but most people on here think that goes back to the dinosaur age, and scoff at the idea...

Sigh... I read the first 40 pages of the first half of this thread and rolled my eyes every time someone popped in and claimed they read it all and then asked questions that basically proved that they had not read through. I have a great handle on the ideas in use back in 2006 lol. I don't suppose I could get a good summary of what this has evolved into and save myself 9 years of threads (48 more pages) of reading? If you think it would benefit me to continue the read I guess I will, without complaint.

Sigh... I read the first 40 pages of the first half of this thread and rolled my eyes every time someone popped in and claimed they read it all and then asked questions that basically proved that they had not read through. I have a great handle on the ideas in use back in 2006 lol. I don't suppose I could get a good summary of what this has evolved into and save myself 9 years of threads (48 more pages) of reading? If you think it would benefit me to continue the read I guess I will, without complaint.

In a nut shell?.................I think it has evolved into being obsolete. The new Fads are ATS, Bio Pellets, and getting your tank drunk on vodka.:spin2:

This thread is only 30 pages. But I know many people on here still use them. I really believe they should be a part of every system. But perhaps it's "cooler" to put vodka in your tank.

Lol, well I have also been reading about ATS, but thought that implementing both would not be a bad idea... Has there been some evidence that has caused people to move away from a RDSB?

This thread is only 30 pages. But I know many people on here still use them. I really believe they should be a part of every system. But perhaps it's "cooler" to put vodka in your tank.

This thread was split at 999 posts (50 pages) and now has 38 pages on its new, second half, thread. So, many more than 30 pages.. I've been reading very old information for some time now.

In light of the new fads and ideas if anyone is still using a RDSB could you please chime in with some feedback on how well these are working in comparison.

This thread was split at 999 posts (50 pages) and now has 38 pages on its new, second half, thread. So, many more than 30 pages.. I've been reading very old information for some time now.

In light of the new fads and ideas if anyone is still using a RDSB could you please chime in with some feedback on how well these are working in comparison.

My bad. You're correct. Weird. The JohnL thread split post didn't show up last night... Or maybe it was late and my eyes were crossed.

Anyway, off hand I know RocketEngineer implemented one a while back and has reported great success. Perhaps you could ask him. A while back I read the first several pages too through my research on the subject and it makes perfect sense and therefore I have setup a 20 gallon high rdsb on my 300 gallon system. I'm still waiting for delivery of my display so I can't report how effective it will be for me. But the thought process I went through for a rdsb vs. ats was pretty simple. Do I want to harvest algae every week or just make sure there is good flow going over a sand bed? Needless to say, I chose the latter.

My bad. You're correct. Weird. The JohnL thread split post didn't show up last night... Or maybe it was late and my eyes were crossed.

Anyway, off hand I know RocketEngineer implemented one a while back and has reported great success. Perhaps you could ask him. A while back I read the first several pages too through my research on the subject and it makes perfect sense and therefore I have setup a 20 gallon high rdsb on my 300 gallon system. I'm still waiting for delivery of my display so I can't report how effective it will be for me. But the thought process I went through for a rdsb vs. ats was pretty simple. Do I want to harvest algae every week or just make sure there is good flow going over a sand bed? Needless to say, I chose the latter.

Thanks Cuzza, so basically the idea has not been disproven people have just looked for additional/alternate means. It seems to me that the ATS of would take up less space but need weekly maintenance. When I was reading in the early stages of RDSB there was some debate about needing to change out the bed after a couple years because of phosphate binding. Have there been any new developments on this?

I kinda asked the same thing Griz and haven't gotten any fresh input. I have read elsewhere that people are still using them as supplemental filtration with reasonable success. Apparently they do exactly what has been implied throughout this thread, but need to be replaced every few years. Also, it seems that other nutrient export systems have become more popular and perhaps more efficient...

Was looking it as an option because it sounds like it is set and forget if done correctly. Not a lot of long term feedback tho.

Sorry guys. I wish I could definitively answer that question. But I don't have the experience and don't want to give you wrong info. Perhaps post the question in a new thread. I believe Uncleof6 is another long term user of the rdsb.

I can say this from my research...

My understanding is they should last indefinitely. The key is to not allow it to become a nutrient sink. In other words, good strong pre filtered flow so that no debris settles. The use of a filter bag or some kind of settling chamber for the display drain would likely be advantageous. I've not read reports of them assimilating nutrients like the typical in tank deep sand bed which require a number of micro fauna and creatures to continuously sift and stir up the bed. Also, the obvious benefit of being remote is, if for whatever reason the deep sand bed does go south, you can simply close a valve and replace or clean the sand and start over fixing whatever caused it to go bad.

If it's any reassurance from the research I've done, I'm in the process of two builds right now and both of them will have rdsb.

Absolutely. I think multiple forms of filtration and nutrient export is a good approach. This should allow you to feed more. And a well fed fish is a healthy fish.

Back