Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

WOW simply amazing! Its apparent you put a tremendous amount of thought into the design. Agreed that AGE are more than just manufacturers, they are craftsmen. The wave boxes look perfect! Not sure if you mentioned it but are you planning on using the original Streams or Stream 2's?

erics3000, SuperR, xXReefXx - Thanks to you all :D .

melev - It would be nice to keep this thread going, but it's already 11 pages and there's no water. I would be a little frustrated as a new subscriber to get into a thread of this length with no real 'meat and potatos.' I'll summarize everything in the new thread and link this for those interested in more design detail. As for the overflows, I agree with you that all black would be best, but it's hard to do. If the reef is constructed properly, it my obscure the overflow entirely, as I plan on making a tall but steep wall abutting that side of the tank, and that may just take care of the problem.

Chrisrush - Thanks for your input.

AgentSPS - Thanks for your nice comments. I'll be using the original Streams for the waveboxes. They're tried and true. If I ever switch to the Stream 2's, I'm sure I could get Tom to make new caps that would secure the different Streams.

Let me bump it with some new pictures from Dec 31, 2008. Mike invited Aaron and myself to see his gorgeous new home. That house is awesome. Okay, enough about that, and let's talk about the tank. For now, it is still protected while the worker bees finish their various jobs.

dudester_pink_foam.jpg

The tank is so well-built, and I'm sure Mike can't wait to fill it up with some saltwater.

dudester_age_tank.jpg

dudester_stand.jpg

dudester_top_topdown.jpg

Here's the ceiling and ventilation over the tank

dudester_ceiling.jpg

Two more views from inside the fishroom

dudester_sink.jpg

dudester_future_walkboard.jpg

Aaron holding up the custom-made overflow cover.

dudester_overflow_cover.jpg

Up in the attic, you can see the fishroom vent fan

dudester_attic_fan.jpg

And the attic itself is very well insulated

dudester_attic_insulation.jpg

Aside from the tank I think I'm most impressed by the insulation in Mikes castle. I took a little tour in the summer when the outside temps were pushing over 100. He warned me before we entered his home that it would be warm (a.c. not running) I was expecting to sweat and to my surprise it felt like it was 75 degrees! Mike and his wife have a beautiful home, congrats man!

Oh yeah the tank is okay too. :)

Nice updates Marc. Did you stay in Austin over NYE?

House looks like it is coming right along Mike. I really like the exposed beams in the LR.

Yes, I did. I came home last night. I have more pictures from Austin, but I've not begun to edit them.

The tank looks amazing.

I was in ATX over Christmas... should have looked you guys up. I've got grandparents in Georgetown, an aunt and uncle in Round Rock, and a bunch of other friends in the Austin area, so I'll be back sooner than later...hopefully when this beauty is running :)

Marc...thanks for the updated pictures. Looks like it is going to be a very nice tank when all is done. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting those photos Marc, I only just saw them today. I really like the top-down shot.

And thanks for the very nice comments everyone. The house is great and all, but let's face it ... it's all about the tank! As we approach the home's completion, I'm becoming more and more excited to fit out the fish room with equipment and plumbing and to get things wet.

mcliffy2 - You're welcome any time to come by and check things out. I've been an admiring your system for a long time now.

Aside from the tank I think I'm most impressed by the insulation in Mikes castle. I took a little tour in the summer when the outside temps were pushing over 100. He warned me before we entered his home that it would be warm (a.c. not running) I was expecting to sweat and to my surprise it felt like it was 75 degrees! Mike and his wife have a beautiful home, congrats man!

That is ECOFoam as for insulation?

Embarrasingly, I don't know what it's called. It's some type of extremely porous foam material that is sprayed on at about 1/4" thick and expands to nearly a foot thick. It was amazing to watch them apply the material. We have it throughout all of the walls of the home, in addition to solar electricity and hot water, so the house will be extremely energy efficient.

Its possiblity that is called ECOFoam, that is enirovmentaly than fiberglass material insulation, I am working on for house plan to buid a house next summer if the pan is go. will to use ECOfoam for attic and walls instead of fiberglass material.

more progress

more progress

The move-in is finally in sight, probably within the next 2 weeks. The carpenters did a great job with the cabinetry around the tank. To improve the appearance we also added an arch over the 'short side' of the tank, which gives a more symmetrical appearance. Let me show you what I mean.

newarch.jpg

newarch2.jpg

Here you can see the beginning of the framing stage for the cabinetry and the corner column.

cabinetryframing3.jpg

cabinetryframing2.jpg

cabinetryframing1.jpg

Here's how the almost completed cabinetry looks from inside the tank room. The builder did a great job of floating the arches to the top of the cabinets so there will be zero light leak.

cabinetry3.jpg

cabinetry2.jpg

And here it is from the outside, with a worker finalizing some painting on the arch.

cabinetry1.jpg

And finally, here are 2 shots of the family room, one including the fire place and the other showing the front door of the home.

tankinroom2.jpg

tankinroom1.jpg

Dudster

That is going to look spectacular!

You must be excited to finally get in the new house, congratulations!

Excellent update Mike. I'm sure you are ready to move in. Where you able to sell your old house?

The tank and room look great. I can't wait to see it filled up and rocking.

At first I was a little skeptical of the wood working on the corner of the tank, but it does go very well with the rest of the room. How will you layout the furniture?

Stunning!

You've just gone from being "The Dude" to "Mr. Lebowski."
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14325126#post14325126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Mike, that 55g is spectacular.
:lol:

That was my first thought from the zoomed out view, "Where did the 450 go?"

Back