Dudester’s 450g corner in-wall and tank room – help with design

The house is just a house, Thiago, it's all about the tank!

That's right Bax, I can almost taste it now. We're expecting to close in late December or early January.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13379230#post13379230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
Thanks for asking Chris. After doing all the research necessary, it turns out I would definitely have to add steel in order to support larger water mixing/holding tanks in the "attic," so that idea has been nixed and I'm only going to keep the chiller up there. Oh well, it was a fun exercise anyway.

That's a shame. That would have been real nice to have the water containers out of the fish room. I'm thinking about redoing my setup to move everything out into the garage. Might make things a bit easier, especially if I can store a large volume of water (and keep it out of the house).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13556986#post13556986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waynem
Any new news?

Hows the house (read Tank) coming along.
Thanks for your interest. As is usually the case with new construction (both houses and tanks), neither are quite ready. The tank, stand and sump will hopefully be completed within a week or 2, and the builders are supposed to be completing the floor in the tank room this week. The house is almost fully painted, and we're now looking at a January closing. When I have anything new to share, I'll definitely provide an update.

Chrisrush - That'll be great if you can keep the water out of your tank room. For small tank rooms, it really does take up a lot of precious space. On the other hand, I won't have to worry about creating temperature swings with water changes. Storing water in your hot Texas garage has the potential to do that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13558264#post13558264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester Chrisrush - That'll be great if you can keep the water out of your tank room. For small tank rooms, it really does take up a lot of precious space. On the other hand, I won't have to worry about creating temperature swings with water changes. Storing water in your hot Texas garage has the potential to do that. [/B]

True, storing water in the garage isn't ideal, but plenty of people have their sumps in the garage as well. Plus, I would imagine that if you only use it for top-off, the temp wouldn't affect the display temp that much, now doing a large water change might have a drastic effect though.

Exactly, Chris. Water changes are the problem, but not the 3-5g per day that we top off.

I remember reading about how one guy in Arizona keeps his water in his hot garage. He cooled it with a huge fan blowing on the surface of the water, but as we know RO/DI water is so pure that it acts like a magnet and grabs stuff right from the air. I'd have to imagine a fan blowing on the water would blow all kinds of crud into the clean water, raising TDS in the process.

I've thought about putting a reservoir in my garage at least 100 times. It's never going to happen. If I do anything, I'll expand my fishroom to have an extra area for water storage, since that would be temperature controlled.

WOW.

Dude this is awesome!!!

I have to go back and read from the begining - I missed the whole thing so far! I followed your other threads and I'm pleased to say that I ordered a rimless AGE last week through John at Kingfish :D Great guy to deal with, looking forward to my new tank ~ Thanksgiving.

Keep up the fantastic work :thumbsup:, and as always, "The Dude abides."

Great news about your A.G.E. Austin, and I'm glad my past experiences contributed to your decision. There's not a nicer or more competent guy in the business than John, and he'll always give you advice that will benefit your system instead of his wallet. Please shoot me a link when you get a thread going.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13559659#post13559659 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
Great news about your A.G.E. Austin, and I'm glad my past experiences contributed to your decision. There's not a nicer or more competent guy in the business than John, and he'll always give you advice that will benefit your system instead of his wallet.

True dat brotha.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13559726#post13559726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gkarshens
John has helped me out more times than I can count!!!

That's at least four times! ;)

No problem Thiago - I'm going with a single closed loop with an OM 4-way. It'll probably run on a Hammerhead Gold pump, or maybe a RD.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13588922#post13588922 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dudester
No problem Thiago - I'm going with a single closed loop with an OM 4-way. It'll probably run on a Hammerhead Gold pump, or maybe a RD.
And what else for flow? Or is that it?

No way is that it! There will also be 2 external waveboxes. The sump return will split into 3 outlets on the end opposite the overflow. Lastly, the chiller will return via a Wavy Sea, which is relatively low flow. To kick that up, I'm using a Tunze bracket (or a Jar*Head bracket) to add a Tunze Stream onto the Wavy Sea. I haven't done the math, but along with the closed loop, I think that should provide, say, 'all the flow this tank should need for a while' X turnover. Once the corals grow out, I'll supplement with additional streams, and the eurobrace will be constructed with "keyholes" to allow for neater cord exits.

I'm out for about a week, so I'll check back when I return.

Back