Dwarf Seahorse and Valentini?

mav.23

I recently decided that my Valentini puffer will be moved to a new tank when I turn my main into a reef tank. However, recently I've seen seahorses and dwarf seahorses, and I really want to get one. Only problem is I don't have room for more than one tank. My Valentini is very shy and very peaceful. She is full-grown, and a cutie. She's slow moving and likes to follow other fish around. She isn't an aggressive eater, and seems like she would do well in the setup many seahorses have. I have never seen her nip on another fish, and would be surprised if she did. She is only a nuisance to snails, and I didn't want to take any risks having her in a reef tank. Does anyone have experience keeping seahorses and Valentini puffers? If so, does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

I keep seahorses and I personally would never risk putting even a super chill puffer in with the ponies. If perchance it did nip the resulting wound could prove fatal to a seahorse.

But even if it did not nip, valentinis are undoubtedly wild caught and now most greater seahorses are captive bred. A CB seahorse does not have the immune ability to deal with the pathogens that WC stock bring in with them.

Dwarf seahorses are sometimes WC but they are tiny and I fear they would look like food to a puffer, even a small puffer. Dwarf seahorses are not for the ordinary Aquarists as they require live food that must be hatched daily and enriched. It is a rigorous, enslaving task and is not for everyone. In fact it is not for most! I know because I accidently received a dwarf seahorse in a ghost shrimp order and am now caring for it. I can honestly say she is cute, but I would never choose to keep dwarfs!

So my recommendation is I would not do it.

I keep seahorses and I personally would never risk putting even a super chill puffer in with the ponies. If perchance it did nip the resulting wound could prove fatal to a seahorse.

But even if it did not nip, valentinis are undoubtedly wild caught and now most greater seahorses are captive bred. A CB seahorse does not have the immune ability to deal with the pathogens that WC stock bring in with them.

Dwarf seahorses are sometimes WC but they are tiny and I fear they would look like food to a puffer, even a small puffer. Dwarf seahorses are not for the ordinary Aquarists as they require live food that must be hatched daily and enriched. It is a rigorous, enslaving task and is not for everyone. In fact it is not for most! I know because I accidently received a dwarf seahorse in a ghost shrimp order and am now caring for it. I can honestly say she is cute, but I would never choose to keep dwarfs!

So my recommendation is I would not do it.

thank you so much! I guess I will just have to wait for the dwarves until I have more room, although I'd rather wait and learn everything that I can before getting such an incredible fish killed.

Back