EcoTech Marine Introduces the Radion XR30w LED Light

At 750 a piece, you shouldn't have to borrow a laptop to get it working with all the features. Ecotech really needs to get on this... I was expecting mac capability with this update. It has been 5 months they released...

Hopefully it won't be much longer. Controllable via an iPad or an iPhone would be an upgrade definitely worth waiting for!

Does anyone know what "Override Timer" in the advanced settings does? It is checked in my software/program. It sounds like there is a way to override the programmed schedule, but how would that be activate? Or deactivated?

On a separate note, the firmware and software upgrade is a great improvement. The calibration tool was a great addition. I can also now turn my lights down all the way where I couldn't go below about 18% previously.

i have no idea what i am doing here.... haha i bought two of these today, hung them and now trying to program. they worked right out the box in basic mode. synced together.

now i have no idea why i cant get the program to work. when i program it one of the units turns off and the other stays on?

very frustrated since i am not a moron, i should be able to use these.

At 750 a piece, you shouldn't have to borrow a laptop to get it working with all the features. Ecotech really needs to get on this... I was expecting mac capability with this update. It has been 5 months they released...

It isn't as easy as everyone thinks it is. You don't just change over to Apple code and call it good. EVERYTHING is different when comparing Apple and Windows.

I personally have never programmed for either system but a good friend of mine is a Windows programmer and I have talked to him about the differences. It went right over my head. He said he has to pretty much forget anything he knows about programming and start over with Apple stuff.

Also, don't forget that Apple controls their software heavily. This isn't as easy and everyone makes it out to be. Especially when the majority of the world uses Windows.

It was glitchy at first for me. Even grouped one would work etc.

Now kicking some led ace...

Love what this things do. Would really like to see other people's settings / download programs to try.

It isn't as easy as everyone thinks it is. You don't just change over to Apple code and call it good. EVERYTHING is different when comparing Apple and Windows.

I personally have never programmed for either system but a good friend of mine is a Windows programmer and I have talked to him about the differences. It went right over my head. He said he has to pretty much forget anything he knows about programming and start over with Apple stuff.

Also, don't forget that Apple controls their software heavily. This isn't as easy and everyone makes it out to be. Especially when the majority of the world uses Windows.
I didn't say it was easy. What I said was that it has been almost 6 months and there is still no mac version. Just because it is different than Windows is not an excuse in my opinion. They had the Radion plans around for a long time. Why not work on the programming side of the project before the light released? Ecotech has had a lot of time to work on getting a mac software version out, before and after the release date. All I am saying is that is very disappointing to not be able to program with my macbook. For what I spent, I should be able to program my light without borrowing a PC laptop.

I didn't say it was easy. What I said was that it has been almost 6 months and there is still no mac version. Just because it is different than Windows is not an excuse in my opinion. They had the Radion plans around for a long time. Why not work on the programming side of the project before the light released? Ecotech has had a lot of time to work on getting a mac software version out, before and after the release date. All I am saying is that is very disappointing to not be able to program with my macbook. For what I spent, I should be able to program my light without borrowing a PC laptop.

No. You knew there was no Mac software and there was no release date for mac software. So if you want to program your light, you will have to use a PC or go get bootcamp and run windows on it.

Why would Ecotech invest even more money into something for a VERY small portion of their buyers? Why would they delay the release to accommodate such a small amount of people? It just doesnt make any business sense to me. Ecotech isnt losing alot of money because there isnt an Apple program yet.

Sadly, I am struggling to have alot of sympathy. You chose to go to a platform (apple OS) that has 7% of the market share, and you are giving me the impression that you feel Ecotech should devote similar levels of resources towards you as they do the 90% of the market running windows. If Ecotech has sold 10,000 of these lights, if you assume they were all purchased by users running a single light, only 700 people would be trying to program them on a mac. Ecotech is a small company, and to be frank, I'd be surprised if they had 5 programmers working on the windows version, that means that if they have 1 programmer for the mac version, there would already be a dis-proportionality large amount of resources resources working on the mac version then it'd warrant.

My rambling diatribe aside, if ecotech said they were working on it, then I believe they are working on it. Part of being in a small market share is you sometimes have to wait. It sucks, but when it happens, I am confident it'll be worth it.

Last edited:
Yeah I was really hoping for the mac compatibility on this firmware update :(.

Me too... I'm an all Apple shop as well, but when I really though about the cost of the Radion, Vortechs, Apex, WXM, etc. (not to mention the cost of the tank and inhabitants), I went to Costco and picked up a cheap netbook.

Would I have preferred not to have spent the money? Sure.

If nothing else, I've gotten a reminder of why I hate Microsoft and Windows. Even with Vista Signature, it was loaded with junk, isn't intuitive and went through 27 updates the first time I fired it up!

Sadly, I am struggling to have alot of sympathy. You chose to go to a platform (apple OS) that has 7% of the market share, and you are giving me the impression that you feel Ecotech should devote similar levels of resources towards you as they do the 90% of the market running windows. If Ecotech has sold 10,000 of these lights, if you assume they were all purchased by users running a single light, only 700 people would be trying to program them on a mac. Ecotech is a small company, and to be frank, I'd be surprised if they had 5 programmers working on the windows version, that means that if they have 1 programmer for the mac version, there would already be a dis-proportionality large amount of resources resources working on the mac version then it'd warrant.

My rambling diatribe aside, if ecotech said they were working on it, then I believe they are working on it. Part of being in a small market share is you sometimes have to wait. It sucks, but when it happens, I am confident it'll be worth it.
A 750.00 light is priced at the high end of the aquarium LED market. Apple products are also at the higher end of the spectrum. I would think that if they are trying to cater to people with a larger disposable income, or at least don't mind spending money on the higher end products, that they would actually have these people in mind. I think there are more people with macs that have Radions than you estimate rgauvin. Regardless, I guess I will have to wait. Will I wait next time to purchase an ecotech product until it is mac capable instead of purchasing it with the "we are working on it" promise? You betcha.

It's about the numbers people. Would you sell chicken sandwiches or burgers if only 7% of the population would buy chicken?

Probably wouldn't bother since the chicken people would just buy a burger in the end.

Back