EcoTech Marine Introduces the Radion XR30w LED Light

For issue 1 some people have had success deleting and reinstalling the software

For issue 2 you need to set a time offset at the top screen to enable the feature.

For issue 3 You need to calibrate the lights, click on each lights graphic, then select the gear. You should then see an option to calibrate.

I was hoping if someone can help with the issues listed here? I have 3 radions over my 180.

1. Configurations are not being saved. I can program them just fine in both artificial and natural mode when as soon as I unplug and replug USB, the configurations are back to stock.

2. The "Traveling Sunrise/Sunset" checkbox is always greyed out in both artificial and natural mode. Why can't I enable it?

3. When in natural mode, during the night, the radions don't completely turn off. The left one has white/red leds on but very dim, the middle is completely off, the right one has white/rid on fairly bright. I had to press the "Cycle" button to turn them off.

I've also tried factory resetting these twice but didn't solve any issues. I had these problems before the firmware and software update and still have these problems after the updates. Please help... thanks!

Read the online manual. A lot of these issues are detailed there in terms of instructions on how to use the software.
However, I have spent literally hours playing around with programming my radions and IMO the best thing to do is to call Brett or Jon at Ecotech. They have a program allowing them to remotely access your desktop and they will troubleshoot your lights while you sit back, watch and learn. A lot of the programming issues are related to a click of the mouse in the wrong sequence or the firmware needed resetting. I have four fixtures and before I called Brett I had similar issues. Save yourself a headache and just call.

Regarding Neptune or Digital Aqutics interfaces for the Radion:

Ecotech was known for their pumps, and now they are known for their pumps and their lights. Has anyone thought that EcoTech may be planning to get into the reef tank Controller game as well?

They have a great knowledge/experience base in wireless control with their pumps and lights, so it would not be a far each to develop an all out reef tank Controller that would allow comprehensive control of pumps, lights and all other peripheral equipment related to a reef tank.

And if EcoTech does this, they will no doubt do it well.

Last edited:
Regarding Neptune or Digital Aqutics interfaces for the Radion:

Ecotech was known for their pumps, and now they are known for their pumps and their lights. Has anyone thought that EcoTech may be planning to get into the reef tank Controller game as well?

They have a great knowledge/experience base in wireless control with their pumps and lights, so it would not be a far each to develop an all out reef tank Controller that would allow comprehensive control of pumps, lights and all other peripheral equipment related to a reef tank.

And if EcoTech does this, they will no doubt do it well.

they are like Apple keeping very quiet about these

Hi all - I finally got my radions hung today, and figured I would post up a few pics. I used 1/4 inch aluminum stock from HD, then painted with Krylon Fusion. I think they turned out allright - I still need to clean up the wires a bit, though.
DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Tank is 60x24x18...

Hi all - I finally got my radions hung today, and figured I would post up a few pics. I used 1/4 inch aluminum stock from HD, then painted with Krylon Fusion. I think they turned out allright - I still need to clean up the wires a bit, though.
DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Tank is 60x24x18...

That bar in the front not running all the way across doesn't make you nervous?

That bar in the front not running all the way across doesn't make you nervous?

I've seen several hangers owners have done that on the front and back: single point connections between two different Radion units. To me, that would create a leverage point that could crack or damage the corner, whereas on a rail system the load is divided between two different mount points. The top of the Radion is only acrylic, after all.

This type of mount, while nice looking, would scare me because there is only one screw down point of connection between the Units. This connection would crack much easier than a solid piece of bar stock connection the 4 front mount points and the back 4 mount points.

4brackets.jpg

This one is scary as well from a stress on the unit perspective, even though it is attractive. The stress on the left/right the mount points where the black connecting pieces are can't be good for the Radions. I would have run a single piece of bar stock along all four front mount points and a single piece of bar stock along all 4 rear mount points. I bet that setup bows down in the middle.
cf88a002.jpg

I've seen several hangers owners have done that on the front and back: single point connections between two different Radion units. To me, that would create a leverage point that could crack or damage the corner, whereas on a rail system the load is divided between two different mount points. The top of the Radion is only acrylic, after all.

This type of mount, while nice looking, would scare me because there is only one screw down point of connection between the Units. This connection would crack much easier than a solid piece of bar stock connection the 4 front mount points and the back 4 mount points.

4brackets.jpg

This one is scary as well from a stress on the unit perspective, even though it is attractive. The stress on the left/right the mount points where the black connecting pieces are can't be good for the Radions. I would have run a single piece of bar stock along all four front mount points and a single piece of bar stock along all 4 rear mount points. I bet that setup bows down in the middle.
cf88a002.jpg

Points well taken... I did consider a few different designs when hanging my 3 units. Had I hung them perpendicular to the length of the tank, I certainly would have used one piece of bar stock for both the front and back rails, utliziing all 6 mounting points with each rail. However, I ultimately wanted to hang them parallel with the tank, and using a one bar along the front would have covered the buttons on the front of the units. The bar along the back of my 3 units is one solid piece, and utilizes all 6 mounting points. The bars along the front are, of course, two separate pieces which utlizes 4 mounting points, including the points where the hanging kit is attached.

Additionally, by hanging the units parallel, there is less gap between the units themselves (6 inches from unit to unit), which I felt would lend to less deflection in the setup then hanging them perpendicular. Naturally, this might not work for all tank dimensions and users with varying numbers of radion units.

I've also considered countersinking the surface which contacts the units (at the mounting points), in order to allow the bar stock to lie flush with the entire unit, instead of 'resting' on the mouning points. Once I got the unit put together, I checked for deflection and there is none, so I decided to leave it as is for the time being (or maybe I'm just lazy, LOL). Perhaps I will countersink the rails at some point, but at this point I have no deflection...

At any rate, the feedback is much appreciated :beer:. Below is another pic prior to paint:

DSC_0056.jpg

Points well taken... I did consider a few different designs when hanging my 3 units. Had I hung them perpendicular to the length of the tank, I certainly would have used one piece of bar stock for both the front and back rails, utliziing all 6 mounting points with each rail. However, I ultimately wanted to hang them parallel with the tank, and using a one bar along the front would have covered the buttons on the front of the units. The bar along the back of my 3 units is one solid piece, and utilizes all 6 mounting points. The bars along the front are, of course, two separate pieces which utlizes 4 mounting points, including the points where the hanging kit is attached.

Additionally, by hanging the units parallel, there is less gap between the units themselves (6 inches from unit to unit), which I felt would lend to less deflection in the setup then hanging them perpendicular. Naturally, this might not work for all tank dimensions and users with varying numbers of radion units.

I've also considered countersinking the surface which contacts the units (at the mounting points), in order to allow the bar stock to lie flush with the entire unit, instead of 'resting' on the mouning points. Once I got the unit put together, I checked for deflection and there is none, so I decided to leave it as is for the time being (or maybe I'm just lazy, LOL). Perhaps I will countersink the rails at some point, but at this point I have no deflection...

At any rate, the feedback is much appreciated :beer:. Below is another pic prior to paint:

DSC_0056.jpg

Definitely understand about the button access, and you are a a definite advantage with the bar stock along the back.

I used a piece of square U shaped aluminium bar from Lowes - (very rigid, wont sag), and used some 1/2" nylon spacers to elevate them above the top of the fixture (so I could access the buttons). Painted it all gloss back to match the lights and hung them with Sunlight Supply's 2 point connection hanging kit. I went with them because they had nice ceiling caps that looked clean/professional.

I'm really happy with how it turned out.. not sure i'd do it any other way.
Still need to figure out how to better hide those power supplies for the lights though.. maybe i'll build an electronics box to match my stand.

6847425892_b152685efc_o.jpg

6993549087_f7a99ff661_b.jpg

6847425614_e96302a89b_b.jpg

Paul

I used a piece of square U shaped aluminium bar from Lowes - (very rigid, wont sag), and used some 1/2" nylon spacers to elevate them above the top of the fixture (so I could access the buttons). Painted it all gloss back to match the lights and hung them with Sunlight Supply's 2 point connection hanging kit. I went with them because they had nice ceiling caps that looked clean/professional.

I'm really happy with how it turned out.. not sure i'd do it any other way.
Still need to figure out how to better hide those power supplies for the lights though.. maybe i'll build an electronics box to match my stand.

6847425892_b152685efc_o.jpg

6993549087_f7a99ff661_b.jpg

6847425614_e96302a89b_b.jpg

Paul

That is a nice hanging rig, and no stress on the Radions. Well done! Looks professional. Amazing what some inexpensive bar stock, some drilling, and a can of paint can do!:beer:

My Solution

My Solution

Here is my build, 250 w/ 75 sump/refugium with soon to be 4 ecotechs hanging from conduit. Waiting on hanging kits

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 2
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3
Back