Encrusting Montipora

epo

I have a quick question. I have a few encrusting montipora in my tank, rainbow, sunset, jedi mind trick and superman. A few of them are growing quite quickly and taking up a lot of real-estate. i am afraid of putting new frags near them because i have a feeling the monti will encrust over the plug and eventually the coral i am placing.

Can i place a coral plug with frag directly over a spot that has already been encrusted by the montipora? obviously this will kill the area directly under the plug. Eventually will the monit encrust over this new piece? or since the leading edge of the monti has already past this point it will be fine.

thanks

I would expect it to grow up and over the new coral eventually, unless it's a really aggressive coral.

I would expect it to grow up and over the new coral eventually, unless it's a really aggressive coral.

Yes agreed with above.

that is why all my encrusting monti are now on removable tiles in the new tank. I would post a pic but reef central makes it a pain to post a pic.

I put more aggressive corals around them, acans, etc.

I also grow them on the glass, similar to tiger's tiles... They can fight with each other all they want but shouldn't reach anything else

Back