ETSS Skimmer Club!

its important to have water level in sump steady for all skimmers. maybe you can add a baffle to sump. try to have output of skimmer halfway in and halfway out and parallel to water level in sump. this will help make it more quiet. the more you submerge the output the more back pressure on pump. this is like having a valve on the pump and closing it a little, which is ok. i have a gate valve on my pump so i can have fine control. you dont need a gate valve, but i tried it and like it.

I have a 600 old style and it is about 1 foot above the water level of the sump . The return from the 600 is about 2" above the water line but makes a lot of water noise . Can you dip the return line into the water to make it quite ? I have tried this but seems to change levels in the 600 . I am worried as my sump level goes up and down it will effect the level or performance of the 600 ..

If you create a stand pipe for the drain you can empty beneath the surface of the sump water level and it will run quieter . the water level in the sump or the orientation of the drain will not effect performance with the use of a vented stand pipe

A rough sketch below

lastscan.jpg

Last edited:
yes,after the gate.this will stop the siphon effect and stop the pressure difference effect you will have by burying the output from skimmer under water level of sump.

I have a SB 40 as well and have been happy with it. I drive mine with a MAG 9.5. While it's not an issue for me, this skimmer has a small footprint so for folks looking for a good skimmer that saves space, it's a good option.

I may as well join the club. I have two etss skimmers on the same system working 300 gallons of total water volume. The 1400 skims all of the overflows coming in from the display and frag tank.

Then the 800 skims the frag tank and then dumps back into the sump. All skimmers air intake draw air from outside.

DSC02634.jpg

DSC02636.jpg

DSC02637-1.jpg

Wow...that looks impressive. For the life of me I can't figure out why these skimmers fell out of favor. Other than power consumption, I've never seen a skimmer pull out the junk that a properly tuned and driven ETSS can handle. My ETSS 900 is on my heavily stocked 150 SPS reef. I have a load of fat tangs and other fish and can skim out at least 3 -4 gallons of skimmate per week. When I hear people ooh and ahh about pulling out an inch in the collection cup from their Bubble Kings and cone skimmers I just laugh.

I snagged a used ETSS 800 and pump at a huge bargain at a tank breakdown. I even picked up a spare pump as a backup.

How are you guys hooking out your air lines from the outside? I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with my set up. Do you have some sort of in-line air filter first to keep out dust/bugs/etc?

I was going to use 1" bioballs rather than the suggested 1.5" balls.. as that is what I have lying around unused. I am hoping it won't cause problems.

Use the suggested bio ball sizes and the same ones Gary at ETSS sells. For some reason his thicker branched bio balls outperform the Lees balls you can get at an LFS. If the balls aren't wide enough for the chamber, I think you won't be chopping the water up enough and the water would simply reroute around them and create much less bubble production. They should also be changed out yearly. I take mine out of my 900 every month and soak them in hot water and vinegar. You'd be amazed at what comes off of them and how much better the skimmer performs when I start it back off with clean bioballs.

Don't email him though. He'll never answer. Call the number on their website to get him to ship you a few bags.

http://www.superskimmer.com/

I have a question for all you ETSS guys out there. I have been running a Reef Devil with a Mag 7 pump on my 125 gallon (175 gallon total volume) system. My bioload has been steadily increasing and I want to upgrade my skimming efficiency. I know I can make my Reef Devil work better by getting an Iwaki or Blueline pressure rated pump. These pumps run about $110. Do you think this would be the way to go or should I just use that money and buy a "bigger" skimmer. Again, my system is 175 gallons total with what I would consider a high bioload. Thanks to all for looking!

Are you finding a signifiant difference in using outside air?

Personally, I have seen very little impact on my pH when drawing outside air to my skimmer. I may have elevated CO2 impacting my pH but need to check it comparing an aerated water sample in outside air vs. the same sample indoors. I think the cold (not positive but pretty sure) weather would mess with this type of test right now where we live as I tried it in my detached garage and got what seemed like incorrect results. Decided to wait for warmer weather to try comparing it again. Until then, I am running my tank drawing outside air. I am not filtering mine right now but will be more cautious and will probably switch back over to inside air to avoid the possibility of drawing mosquito spray and the like during the summer months. Our town sprays for them during peak season.

My potential need to draw in outside air for my ETSS800 is that my tank is going into a finished basement. I'd figure that any time of the year, CO2 levels may be higher down there as there simply aren't large windows. The space is more enclosed than the upper floors in the house. I may even need to add a humidity triggered fan to vent air outside, unless I choose to rely on a dehumidifier. Even with a dry basement, a tank will kick up the humidity.

Another thought that came to mind. Maybe fan(s) to exchange air with the main floor instead.. hmm. Oh well, yet another 'to do' out of the billion I have on my current list!

Frank, the Reef devil really can't handle the load very well on your system...even with an Iwaki 20RLT. You could upgrade to at least an Evolution 500. I used this skimmer for a few years on my 150 until i decided I wanted a serious SPS tank and went to the 600 XR with a modified tower extender. You'll find that the Evolution really is a great skimmer when maintained properly. My experience with ETSS skimmers is to always have the highest rated pump that Gary recommends. The Evolution 500 will sing with an Iwaki 30 RLT, most likely doubling the skim mate output of the reef Devil.

Frank, the Reef devil really can't handle the load very well on your system...even with an Iwaki 20RLT. You could upgrade to at least an Evolution 500. I used this skimmer for a few years on my 150 until i decided I wanted a serious SPS tank and went to the 600 XR with a modified tower extender. You'll find that the Evolution really is a great skimmer when maintained properly. My experience with ETSS skimmers is to always have the highest rated pump that Gary recommends. The Evolution 500 will sing with an Iwaki 30 RLT, most likely doubling the skim mate output of the reef Devil.

Thank you. I kind of figured it was time to get a new skimmer...I will look into the Evolution 500.

After zooming in on them it appears that they are very similar. I think that what makes them work better than the Lees balls is that the stiffer and further apart prongs break the water up and still allow it to flow through to the box. You could try them out though. That's a good price for 200 bioballs. I can't believe how much better the skimmer will work by changing out the bioballs every year.

Back