ETSS Skimmer Club!

When you replace your bio-balls do you throw them out or can you wash and re-use them?
I've heard it is best to get new ones because the old ones become worn. Just want to hear others opinions.

jj, I clean the bioballs in a vinegar and water mix every month. It takes about ten minutes to get the gunk out. The skimmer works like brand new again.

The issue with the bioballs is that the edges become more rounded over time and actually create less friction breaking up the water. It's suggested to replace them every year. The first time I replaced them I was anticipating an unneeded purchase but you'd be amazed at how much more foam and better bubble size you'' get from replacing them every year. Well worth it.

how do u guys think an ets 600xr pro would skim a 50 gallon tank with 70 gallon sump

would it be to much of an overkill

Would a mag 18 have enough pressure to power this skimmer???
DSC_7825.jpg

Last edited:
how do u guys think an ets 600xr pro would skim a 50 gallon tank with 70 gallon sump

would it be to much of an overkill

It is a bit much for the system described but if you throttle down the feed pump a bit you can use it with no ill effects as long as you have a decent bio load.

Would a mag 18 have enough pressure to power this skimmer???

"Pressure" not really,mags have very little consistent pressure and historically do not do well on these skimmers.I would go with a pressure rated pump ie blue line or iwalki.the mags I have had nothing but issues with even when using a over-sized pump .I have found they lack the constant pressure(long term) that makes these skimmers what they are,and work the way they are designed to.

It is a bit much for the system described but if you throttle down the feed pump a bit you can use it with no ill effects as long as you have a decent bio load.

"Pressure" not really,mags have very little consistent pressure and historically do not do well on these skimmers.I would go with a pressure rated pump ie blue line or iwalki.the mags I have had nothing but issues with even when using a over-sized pump .I have found they lack the constant pressure(long term) that makes these skimmers what they are,and work the way they are designed to.

I have the sump buddy 60 and have always had tea green skimate no matter how I adjust it. I have it powered by a Rio+ 2500 (large pump). I tried and even larger pump and it still did the same thing. The bubbles just never make it to the bottom of the skimmer. I guess like you said, the "High Pressure" aspect of the pump is very important with these skimmers.

So I ended up buying the Coralife turbo sea High pressure 793. It has essentially the same specs as the Iwaki WMD 40RLT that ETSS recommends to use with the sump buddy 60, but a little more in my price range. I hope this helps get all of those bubbles to the very bottom of my tower like it is shown on the ETSS website.

Maybe then I can produce some REAL skimate instead of grean tea. :(

Does anyone have any good info on the reef devil models? Thinking of picking one up used and figured I would try and get some info before I buy it.

I have the sump buddy 60 and have always had tea green skimate no matter how I adjust it. I have it powered by a Rio+ 2500 (large pump). I tried and even larger pump and it still did the same thing. The bubbles just never make it to the bottom of the skimmer. I guess like you said, the "High Pressure" aspect of the pump is very important with these skimmers.

So I ended up buying the Coralife turbo sea High pressure 793. It has essentially the same specs as the Iwaki WMD 40RLT that ETSS recommends to use with the sump buddy 60, but a little more in my price range. I hope this helps get all of those bubbles to the very bottom of my tower like it is shown on the ETSS website.

Maybe then I can produce some REAL skimate instead of grean tea. :(

Well, I have now had my Coralife turbo sea high pressure 793 going for almost a week now. I opened up my gate valve all the way. The bubbles now make it to the bottom exit holes in the tower. I have noticed that my skimate is quite a bit darker now also. So hopefully anyone who searches out the sump buddy skimmers will come across this post to find that you should run the recommended power head, or at least one with very similar specs.

Does anyone have any good info on the reef devil models? Thinking of picking one up used and figured I would try and get some info before I buy it.
probably garys worst skimmer, nevr had luck with the reef devil or reef devil deluxe, loved the sump buddy 40 and 60 though

I have a SumpBuddy 40 (about 1 month) and I'm still trying to find that "sweet spot". I'm still not getting a thick dark colored waste. I'm getting a thin, tea colored wast or "skimmate"? What are some of the variables that effect the color and thickness of the skimmate? And, regarding the SumpBuddy 40, are the air bubbles supposed to completely fill the mixing box? I'm currently running a Mag-7 for the skimmer pump.

amount and size of bio-balls and the pump you are using, these do best when a minor adjustment is made and left for a couple days for it to settle in

Thanks NyReefNoob. I currently have in my SB40, 4 small bio balls and I'm running it with a Mag-7. Do you think a Mag 9.5 would make a difference? And what exactly will happen if I add or subject bio-balls?

well not sure {ok am sure} why they reccomend the mags or other non-pressure rated pump. these dont always produce the same amount of pressure causing surge's in the skimmate, i ran a ehien 1262 on my sb40 and a gen-x when i had the sb60. and i do believe i ran the 4 or 5 smalls, the size and amount play huge factor into the amount of air bubbles, id give them a call, he will be more then happy to go over his product with you, he is only bout a half hour from me

Thanks again NyReefNoob. Yes, I have spoken to Gary before and he was very helpful and took his time with me and was very patient. I guess I did not want to become a P-I-T-A. But I will call him again.

Well, as I said before, I was getting the tea green skimate in the SB60 using a Rio+2500. I switched over to the coralife high pressure pump and now I can fill the box with bubbles and I am getting darker skimate now.

From my limited experience... I tried all kinds of different approaches using the Rio+2500. Didn't really make a difference. With the high pressure, I just let it go, open the gate valve all the way and it is working great now.

So these skimmers NEED a high pressure pump to work right.

Back