ETSS Skimmer Club!

I've been using the Sump Buddy 40 for about a year now. The Mag Drive 9.5 is a good pump for this skimmer. Incidentally, don't use the larger bioballs at all. Even though it's recommended on the website, I've had direct communication with Gary at AE Tech and he told me the smaller bioballs work better with all pumps. The bubbles do not completely fill the box, Only about 3/4. If they did, you'd have too many bubbles escaping into the sump. I elevated my skimmer up about 3" off the bottom by building a platform to reduce any overskimming when the system is turned off and on as the sump water level takes time to settle down when the return pump is turned back on. Another recommendation from Gary.

Thanks clockman. I currently have the small bio-balls (I think) in the tower and I'm going to switch the Mag 7 for the 9.5 today. Incidentally, my mixing box is only about 1/3 filled with bubbles using the Mag 7. I'll find out after the switch if the 9.5 will produce more bubbles. Thanks again for your help.

clockman, I'm looking forward to the day when I have that much to clean out of my SB40. Thanks again, you've been a great help.

hey guys... i a proud owner :) i hope of a new etss skimmer.... its the etss1400, it will be huge for my system but i always tend to overload...

right now its not intstalled but it will be on a 125 gal.. :) and then will be moved to 300 gal tank.

any concers or tricks that you guys found that might help me with such a moster? should i even keep it or should i sell it and get a regular 400$ reef octopus :) hehe...

sorry ... another question,,, how loud are these skimmers.. louder than any normal skimmer? im worried now that it might be too loud from the water gushing down those towers.. any info would help. thank you.

The skimmers aren't loud from the water gushing down the tower. The most noise will come from the "induction" aspect of a downdraft skimmer. It will sound like a sucking noise when running properly. The better the pump, the more air that is pulled into the tower like a beckett skimmer. If you want to quiet it down a bit you could run some vinyl hose on the air intake. That seems to quiet them down.

By the way everyone....space constraints and loss of my garage fish room require that I can't run my skimmer anymore because it won't fit under the stand. It's a 600XR with 12 inch extender tower that makes it almost a 900 xr.

I'm selling it with the Blueline 55hd pump. $450 for both. Both pump and skimmer are a little over a year old.

PM if interested.

hey guys... will i be able to feed my skimmer etss 1400 from my tank... the downdraft? my tank is upstairs and the water will fall 12 ft. im using a panworld 200 ps to feed it so i thing i will get about 1000 gph falling down with force..

I just bought a used skimmer--I think is an ETSS Reef Devil. When I look on the ETSS website, http://www.superskimmer.com/RD.htm, it seems like it comes with a Mag 7 or a Catalina 2200. I don't understand why if it only processes 300-400 gph a mag 3 or a maybe a mag 5 is not enough.

I have a 29 gallon tank and a 29 gallon fuge--seems strange that the skimmer should use more juice than the return pump from my sump--a mag 3.

Is there anything I can do with the outflow from the Reef Devil to make use of all that flow ?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/images/PS-AEDELDEVIL-NOPUMP.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.askcost.com/Compare-Fish-Prices-cate-620-pgid-7.html&h=455&w=455&sz=8&tbnid=dsW6R4--GzZZCM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dreef%2Bdevil%2Bpicture&zoom=1&q=reef+devil+picture&hl=en&usg=__IQDMXTHyJyRazaeGdu0P9DzE2T4=&sa=X&ei=yLOUTaDBIou70QGN1dnyCw&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAQ

I just bought a used skimmer--I think is an ETSS Reef Devil. When I look on the ETSS website, http://www.superskimmer.com/RD.htm, it seems like it comes with a Mag 7 or a Catalina 2200. I don't understand why if it only processes 300-400 gph a mag 3 or a maybe a mag 5 is not enough.

I have a 29 gallon tank and a 29 gallon fuge--seems strange that the skimmer should use more juice than the return pump from my sump--a mag 3.

Is there anything I can do with the outflow from the Reef Devil to make use of all that flow ?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/images/PS-AEDELDEVIL-NOPUMP.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.askcost.com/Compare-Fish-Prices-cate-620-pgid-7.html&h=455&w=455&sz=8&tbnid=dsW6R4--GzZZCM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dreef%2Bdevil%2Bpicture&zoom=1&q=reef+devil+picture&hl=en&usg=__IQDMXTHyJyRazaeGdu0P9DzE2T4=&sa=X&ei=yLOUTaDBIou70QGN1dnyCw&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAQ

when I first got my etss 800 I played the same game trying to figure out why they wanted such a big pump. I have since come to understand that the downdraft skimmer bases its action more on pressure then water volume. So any pump you put on it is running at a vary high head ratting. I recommend using the pump they recommend or equivalent.

I just ordered the 12" extensions for my 1400. Has anyone else tried these extensions? If so, do tell about the behavior/performance.

Regards,

--Rich

I had a 12" extension on my ETSS 600XR, making it roughly a 900xr. In short, yes they work. The added height with enough pump equals more contact time for organics to become fully saturated which in turn creates more foam, and darker foam at that.

when I first got my etss 800 I played the same game trying to figure out why they wanted such a big pump. I have since come to understand that the downdraft skimmer bases its action more on pressure then water volume. So any pump you put on it is running at a vary high head ratting. I recommend using the pump they recommend or equivalent.

Thanks. Sounds like a losing game--I won't play that game, I'll take your advice. :beer:

I had a 12" extension on my ETSS 600XR, making it roughly a 900xr. In short, yes they work. The added height with enough pump equals more contact time for organics to become fully saturated which in turn creates more foam, and darker foam at that.

Sweet! Thanks for the re: I checked their site and from the sizing description, I will be at the ETSS 2000 range. Looks like I need more water! LMAO

Hey guys, I a noobie, so go easy on me if this is a stupid question.

I have an old second hand Reef Devil Skimmer and the instructions say there should only be like a half inch of foam in the riser tube. I adjusted the outlet valve for that. Now after running the skimmer for 3 days, there is about an inch an a half of foam in the riser tube, but nothing has reached the cup yet. Am I doing something wrong, or could it be because there isn't much to skim? I have a 29 gallon tank and 29 gallon fuge which has been running a month with a CPR bak-pak skimmer which I just replaced with the Red Devil when I added the fuge. I haven't added any fish yet, they need a couple more weeks in quarantine.

Should I close the valve until the foam makes it to the cup ?

Thanks.

Hey guys, I a noobie, so go easy on me if this is a stupid question.

I have an old second hand Reef Devil Skimmer and the instructions say there should only be like a half inch of foam in the riser tube. I adjusted the outlet valve for that. Now after running the skimmer for 3 days, there is about an inch an a half of foam in the riser tube, but nothing has reached the cup yet. Am I doing something wrong, or could it be because there isn't much to skim? I have a 29 gallon tank and 29 gallon fuge which has been running a month with a CPR bak-pak skimmer which I just replaced with the Red Devil when I added the fuge. I haven't added any fish yet, they need a couple more weeks in quarantine.

Should I close the valve until the foam makes it to the cup ?

Thanks.

The superskimmer site has instructions for adjusting your skimmer. I assume you mean you have a 1/2" of water in the riser tube and foam on top of that, yeah? I does take some time for it to break in and is dependant on your bio-load. What is the bio-load? I'd give it a bit more time if indeed you have about 1/2 of water in the riser tube

The superskimmer site has instructions for adjusting your skimmer. I assume you mean you have a 1/2" of water in the riser tube and foam on top of that, yeah? I does take some time for it to break in and is dependant on your bio-load. What is the bio-load? I'd give it a bit more time if indeed you have about 1/2 of water in the riser tube

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The instructions seem to say you should have NO water in the riser tube and to adjust it so that there is (initially) only a half inch of foam in there. That's what I started with. Now there is more foam than initially--1.5 inches of foam, but none has made it to the top.

Not much bioload yet, just 50 lbs or so of live rock and 30 lbs of sand. I'm just getting the system all set up while I'm quarantining the fish in my QT.

The superskimmer instructions are not that clear. I'm wondering if you follow their instructions and just have a little foam in the riser tube, how it might make its way up to the top.

Thanks.

Back