everclear

shifty51008

12-5 Chiefs record
I am planning on carbon dosing again in my tank, in the past I just used vinegar/vodka. our family doesn't drink but have 2 750ml bottle of everclear that we need to get rid of. my question is sence the ever clear is 151 proof and my vodka that I used to dose was 80 proof does that mean I can just take 750 ml of everclear and about 700 ml of RODI water and mix it up and get me close to the 80 proof that my vodka was?

TIA

80 proof equals 40% ethanol an 60% water. 151 proof everclear is less dilute;75.5% ethanol and 24.5 % water.

thanks, so I need to add .666L of rodi water to the 750ML of everclear which should give me the 40%. then it will be much easier to use the charts to know how much to dose my tank :D

Everclear is pure grain alcohol at 190 proof. 95% alcohol. Check the label again.

But yes, if you dilute it down to 80 proof you can substitute it for vodka. Or you can just decrease the dosage to make up for the larger amount of alcohol by volume.

Everclear is commonly bolted at 90 proof and 151 proof . I agree a double check the label is prudent.. A friend of mine threw his tank off switcing to 42 proof vodka and dosing it for weeks thinking it ws 80 proof. Nitrates rose,brown film showed up on rocks and we couldn't figure why. When I as at his house I picked up the bottle and happened to notice it was lower alcohol vodka.

That must be one of those state law things cause all we see down here is 190. Learn something new everyday.

Yes, in Georgia we sell the 190 proof, but in Florida they only have the 90 proof. I get asked by one of the local reef stores in JAX to bring a gallon once or twice a year when I go there and pick up (trade) for frags!

Sincerely,

David

That must be one of those state law things cause all we see down here is 190. Learn something new everyday.

Yep,state laws still exist that prohibit beer any stronger than 3.2% from being sold in supermarkets. Yech.

Is it even considered beer at that point? I might classify it as denatured water.

Funny that you mention that - there are actually state laws that define several categories of "near beer", and specify where they can be sold and who can buy them.

But honestly, I've never seen the point of low-alcohol beer, decaffeinated coffee, sugar-free soda, fat-free cookies, sugar-free candy, etc... ;)

Those laws should be changed ,at least to allow an acclimation period for visitors to the state.

In the late 60s , my wife an I lived in what was then West Germany for a couple of years. The beer available there was great and had a high alcohol content , especially the special brews at at the October fest.
The unit I was in had an acclimation rituual for anyone who was returning to the US. For several weeks before a scheduled departure ,the person leaving was not allowed to drink anymore German beer at get togethers. .Six packs of low end American beer were supplied,conumptin was mandatory accompanied by cheers . It was tough but probably helped avoid osmotic shock and other alements.

Those laws should be changed ,at least to allow an acclimation period for visitors to the state.

In the late 60s , my wife an I lived in what was then West Germany for a couple of years. The beer available there was great and had a high alcohol content , especially the special brews at at the October fest.
The unit I was in had an acclimation rituual for anyone who was returning to the US. For several weeks before a scheduled departure ,the person leaving was not allowed to drink anymore German beer at get togethers. .Six packs of low end American beer were supplied,conumptin was mandatory accompanied by cheers . It was tough but probably helped avoid osmotic shock and other alements.

Great story Tom!

Everclear?

Everclear?

Everclear is pure grain alcohol at 190 proof. 95% alcohol. Check the label again.

But yes, if you dilute it down to 80 proof you can substitute it for vodka. Or you can just decrease the dosage to make up for the larger amount of alcohol by volume.

Do people actually DRINK this stuff?

Great idea! I'd be particularly concerned about excessive spit taking and unbridled bouts of homicidal rage. Followed by depression. Low end american beer. Booooo :sad1:

Some folks will drink almost anything. Forgive another reminisence;it's that kind of day for me. Today my wife Jennifer and I are celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary. I am truly blessed.

She is a North Carolinian;we were marired in Baltimore where I was stationed for training at the US army Intellgence school at Fort Holabird (sometimes called the ultmate oxymoron by some).
My mother in law to be and some of the other southern ladies were opposed to alcohol.
My family and friends came from New York city . Many were used to Polish weddings and other ethinic celebrations usually with kegs of beer and lots or rye whiskey. That wasn't happening. So, I spent a part of the day buying the northern contingent drinks at the bar in another room.

When I went round the tables to meet her family members, I noted many of the men had glass jars and flasks filled with clear liquid home brew. I had to have a social drink at each table. Unknown to me North Carolina was a "dry state" then, where you could not buy drinks at restaurants and such; so, these fellas were prepared.
I bet that white lightning as they called it was close to the everclear;itsure di the job.

Yeah, "corn likker" is very popular in NC and in the South in general. Discovery channel even produces a TV show about it - "Moonshiners".

A couple of oddball notes that might interest:

Non-tax-paid distilled alcohol is really expensive (at least the good stuff is). In fact, it's considerably more expensive than legal, tax-paid liquor. Regular white lightning goes for about $80 - $100 a gallon and up, depending on the skill of the moonshiner. Fruit brandies can go for $200 a gallon or more, depending on what fruit went into it. Personally, I'd rather have properly-aged bourbon from the state store, but the sub-culture of "anti-revenooers" seems to place a monetary premium on the stuff simply because it's untaxed.

Funny thing about the culture of the Old South that frowns upon drinking of alcohol in any form: this is a relatively recent development. Until the early 20th century, drinking water was dangerous - you could get violently ill from cholera, e. coli, amebic dysentery, etc... So workmen of the day drank diluted beer or grog (grog is water with a little bit of rum or other spirits in it). This might partly explain the culture of "sweet tea" - in order to make tea, you have to boil the water, even if you're going to drink it cold.

In fact, some of the references I have describing the contracts between the shop master and apprentices/journeymen in cabinet shops of the late 18th and early 19th century specify that the workers were to be provided with several quarts of beer per day as part of their pay.

I was there for a couple years in the mid sixties, we had no such ritual at that time. When I got back to the states, and visited my local gin mill, I thought the beer I was given had been drawn from a flat keg. I had to re acclimate myself, not only to the weaker beer, but to drinking it cold again. :beer:

Back