Everyone sells but doesn't trade?

ReeferSteve78

I've been an active member for a little time now and I no everyone wants to make a little profit on there corals or equipment but does anyone trade on here since its the summer time I would think that everyone would rather trade for things they don't have but it seems as everyone wants to sell..I no of few that would trade but I have yet to see a thread with FOR TRADE on there.. I posted a brain for trade and no one responded not that I care but was wondering. Just a question so please don't take it to the heart thanks :spin3:

I love to trade. Although i do feel some times people want to sell because they want to save for something brand new, or people just don't have what they want. I do prefer the trade route thou as long as its a fair trade.

you will make relationships with other people in the hobby that will trade, it just takes a bit of time..

But as a hobby reefkeeping can drain an account really fast, making a few bucks on the side really helps keeping things flowing :)

It is kinda like secret santa. Once you have been burned a few times. You wont trade.

If I have a relationship with you, I will usually pay it forward and give you some frags that catch your eye. It gives you a cool coral to grow out and if my tank ever turns on itself, you will give me a frag back. So go make some friends.

I agree with Austin and Todd. You'll get to know people along the way and you'll end up swapping and just giving things to people that you become good friends with.

Also, a lot of times it seems like people that have a lot of coral to sell are usually in the market for things that are harder to come by. I usually do a trade/sale threads when there is equipment or coral that I'm in the market for. I've been trying to trade for an orange torch for over a year. Eventually I'll end up buying one (unless anyone has one to trade now :) )

I trade often,sometimes more often than I sell. However, it has to be for something I like and from a tank that I trust.

Oh Emma0909 sorry haven't gotten back to you I totally forgot since I got my phone back but am getting married Saturday and then am going out for awhile but when I return we can talk about it!

I agree with Austin and Todd. You'll get to know people along the way and you'll end up swapping and just giving things to people that you become good friends with.

Also, a lot of times it seems like people that have a lot of coral to sell are usually in the market for things that are harder to come by. I usually do a trade/sale threads when there is equipment or coral that I'm in the market for. I've been trying to trade for an orange torch for over a year. Eventually I'll end up buying one (unless anyone has one to trade now :) )

Wish my crappy phone would let me take a good picture but remember I have several heads of that orange torch(don't forget about me)

problem is folks taking advantage. On many occasions I have given things on an IOU basis and the person wont respond down the road. For some trades folks have shown up with half dead corals. on the other hand I have met a lot of great standup folks along the way with whom I would trade anything any day.

I think the economy is affecting all aspects of our hobby.

In MY particular case... I don't have a NEED (or much room!) for any new corals- trades, purchases or otherwise!

I DO have a NEED for saltmix and a larger calcium reactor.

problem is folks taking advantage. On many occasions I have given things on an IOU basis and the person wont respond down the road. For some trades folks have shown up with half dead corals. on the other hand I have met a lot of great standup folks along the way with whom I would trade anything any day.

I agree with this.

I REALLY hooked someone up one time. I think I traded 6 or 7 frags for a couple in return. None of the corals (from either of us) were especially great (just zoas and random LPS). The idea was that when their other frags grew out, they would return the lopsided trade. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

Even the frag swaps seem to be all about buying/selling now. Trading used to happen a lot more at them.

I've traded at all of the swaps that I've set up for. More towards the end, when people are about to pack up. I've actually gotten a couple of my favorite corals that way. But I'd say that only some of the people that set up are into doing that.

I agree that a lot of people who jump into this hobby do it so they can make money which I believe that you sometimes loss then gain. I've bought corals before but when I sell it(which I rather trade) I always sell for less then what I paid for. I love this hobby and love to watch things grow and learn from reading to my mistakes I've done. I just think if there were more trading then people would be happier but there are folks out there who would screw others over which is sad!!

i would love to trade with someone but in my case i have corals that are imo out dated or that everyone has had at one time or another.i have two really nice green mushrooms at least 10 or more mushrooms on each rock.4 different leather corals,i upgraded my lighting from t-5's to lead's and they really started to grow out.all my parms are at 0 i run over-flow filtration system with a denitrator system,phosban reactor,protein skimmer,uv sterilizer.i will be honest i having algae problem but i do think its do to the fact i dont use ro/di water just tap water.working on the ro unit.but been the hobboy for 4 yrs. and posted under my son's name cmof29.i have a 75 gal reef tank.i would like some small corals to grow out. if needed i can start another thread on more info on my tank.

Back