February 21st Meeting - DIY Food and Live Rock Workshop

Here is the final product, for reference the zip locks are quart size bags, 3 are packed about 1/4" thick and the left one is like 1/3" thick(it was the last bag filled)
Also filled an empty Mysis tray I had which was easier than I thought with the slurry. 2 vacuum bags for longer term storage, will use those last. In the end I would easily have been able to fill 6-7 quart size bags.

I ended up using the whole tray of scallops, half the tray of krill and only a little perch as I massacred those things trying to fillet the meat out of them =) will definitely buy fish already cut and cleaned next time.
IMG_20150301_092449381.jpg

Looks great, Mael ... Excellent choice disregarding the Gelatin, and if, in the future, you do decide-wish to incorporate a binder then utilize the aforementioned Agar and/or Carrageenan.

Surprised this wasn't mentioned at the meeting, given its direct correlation to reef foods-sources, but likely due to using-copying a common hobby based DIY recipe ...

Also, when using crustaceans, leave the carapace/shell on (for high quality product sources) and ensure you buy uncooked ... I'm sure that had to of been discussed during the presentation, at least I would hope, but for the others unable to attend who don't want to carbon copy [unfortunate those who do w most topics. Lack of imagination-knowledge I guess] a semi-flawed recipe.

I only left the krill in tact, shrimp I got cleaned as I didn't want to risk any phosphate issues with the uneaten shells as fish will not eat those as far as I know. LRS does the same I believe with their shrimp.

I just fed the first piece and all the fish went crazy for it so I am happy with the results already.

Back