Fighting Tang

badly worded, sorry horge
I'll get lucky and catch a blackfish for you one of these days ;)

[This message has been edited by billsreef (edited 08-20-2000).]

Ah, err, I was already out the door,
(just ask Larry)
No need for any kick to help me along,
... Mwahahahaha !!! ;)

Anyway, and this really is my last peep.
The practice of fish-cramming is unavoidable in wholesale and retail scenarios. Shipping alone incurs it. If you can figure out a way to ship out these fishes that avoids cramming and still make a profit for people here, I'll back down from calling it ideal FOR THOSE SCENARIOS.

I know what bill was angling at though: People who want to keep three or more tangs will take my comments out of context and use it as an excuse, so I'll back bill up:

In no way was that method of diffusing aggression ever recommended for keeping tangs long-term --and I fully pointed out the consequences in my first post. I was merely theorizing on reasons (albeit short-term ones) for the lack of hostilities between groups of tangs in LFS tanks and some hobbyist displays. No more.

Putting multiple tangs in even the larger-volume tanks commercially available is putting the animals at unnecessary risk.

Now, perception of area is one thing you can mess around with when keeping tangs: They measure benthic space as much as they do volume --if not more. By increasing grazing area via open rockwork, you increase territory without having to increase volume --but this is small change that counts only if you're near the mark. In the end you still need volume to keep these beasts long term. And you're best off avoiding groups.

Well, so long, and thanks for all the fish :)
(none of them blackfish, though... I'll be waiting for those)

[This message has been edited by dark horge (edited 08-20-2000).]

Update:

I woke up to see that the Yellow Tang's tail is ripped and he has a pretty nasty cut in on his body about .5 cm long and .5mm deep (no ordinary scratch), but he was still very agressive, doing sonic boom and tail swipe everynow and then. So I thought that's it... I'm gonna have to take the Purple Tang out.

After about 20 minutes of rock ripping, chasing, and knocking off some coral, I gave up. During this time the Purple Tang has venture into the Yellow's territory and stayed for a while. The Yellow just hide in the rock work and watch. After I finish putting things back together, the Purple was freely swimming about the tank, but the yellow kept a careful and he didn't attack anymore.

This really puzzle me, since the Yellow would never let the Purple into the left side of the tank... may be the yellow just gave up after the purple has broke the boundary line?

If anyone has an effective way of catching the Tang, please let me know.

Planoi,

It is possible that you may have two males in the tank. If so there will certainly be disputes, but usually the weaker of the two will back off and peace may come eventually.
I may have a male and a female which might cause less aggression. I don't breed salt water fish, so didn't try venting the tangs to check for there sex, either way things should work out for you in such a large tank.
Be patient and feed romaine soaked in garlic juice.

------------------
Vinny

http://home.twcny.rr.com/vguarno/

Try using a ordenary fish-trap,place it up against the side of the tank with the bottom facing out to the side and then put a small mirror behind it.Worked for me when I had a identical tang-disaster ;)
Happy Hunting
Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flamin`Angel:
Try using a ordenary fish-trap<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not familiar with a fish trap, how does it work?

Hey again,
it is cylendrical transparent shape,sealed in one end.The other end there is a trap door with a fishline attached.Normally I think the idea was to put food in the trap,but those shrimps allways get it first.If ya got any that is.But put a mirror outside the tank with the trap bottom against the side.All you have to do is get a beer from the fridge,a then sit your a$$ down and wait.Before or you trap him,I know I did.
Good Luck.

BTW my girlfriend is in Chiangmai at the moment,she sayz its great beeing in Thailland again!!!

If you still donno what the heck i`m babbleling about,let me know and i`ll mail you a trap-pic ;)

Happy Hunting Planoi

Best Regards
Michael

Thanks Flamin`Angel

I now know what you mean, but I would like to see a picture, if you have one.

TIA

Hi All

Mmmmmmmm intersting comments.

I have both a yellow and purple tang the purple was added last, he was a juvenile when added and after an initial 2/3 stressfull days he was acepted.

I attribute this ( reasnobly ) peacefull co-habitation to 1.The order of introduction, 2.Available swimming space/rockwork retreats and to a lesser extent 3.The fact that there are only 6 other small fish in the tank.
Oh yeah and 4.LUCK.

No i would not recommend it unless you can give them lots of swimming space.
They still have the odd skirmish, flashing their spurs at each other with no resultant injuries.

I have had worse experiences such as a Psycho Coral Beauty savaging a Flame Angel, but thats another story.

To cover another topic mentioned above I would disagree with feeding non aquatic grown foods such as Lettuce and treating disease with garlic.

First off the nutritional values of such foods cannot be correct and probably even worse,the pesticide scenario must be detrimental to the fishes health.

As for Garlic, I think using that you are only alleviating the symptons as opposed to eliminating the root of the problem. I see a lot of posts re: this treatment for whitespot/Ick. When i got both my tangs they developed it, but after a few days it dissapeared. I beleive that it is related to the fish being distressed due to something such as water quality,nutrition, tankmate agression that depletes the immune system to allow this ever present parasite to flourish. So to summarise treat the cause not the symptons. :)

As the saying goes just my couple of pennies worth :)

BTW rereading this it seems a bit Flamey, not meant to be in the slightest. :) :)

Happy Reefin Folks.

Brian.

PS.Planoi. Was in Bangkok ,Chiang Mai/Rai, Koh Samui two weeks ago. Fantastic country.was sooooo tempted to nick a couple of really small coral frags and bring them home. I resisted ( just about ).

[This message has been edited by Goby1Knoby (edited 08-21-2000).]

Hi JH4

Tank size 6 foot.

Nothing major, i just think the extra few inches of swimming space could be very important for a largish type fish such as those of the Tang species.

I do beleive that my tank at six foot is really bordering on being too small for this species of fish, i base that on observing their behaviour after having introduced them.

For a fish such as these that cover such large areas of the reef as opposed to other smaller fish that take up residence in limited reefzone, i think they require more space. I beleive they show signs of this confinement in their periodic eccentric swimming behaviour.

Cheers

Brian. :)

Cheers

G1K

[This message has been edited by Goby1Knoby (edited 08-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Goby1Knoby (edited 08-22-2000).]

I too have been lucky with having a yellow and purple tabg together. One tank that comes to mind in particular is a 110 gallon tank... there are 2 Hippo tangs, a powder blue tang, 2 yellow tangs and a purple tang.

The purple tang was added last, the yellow tangs have been in the tank for around 4 years, and the powder blue has been in there for around a year. There was a little aggression when the purple was 1st added but nothing like what Planoi was describing. I know this might be a very unusual situation, but hey.. who am I to say that these fish can't get along with no probs in a smaller tank!

Anyway just my 0.02 worth and for what its worth I hope it helps!

Have Fun...... Reef Safe...... :D :D :D

Back