filter sock alternative

Here's an alternative to socks, a filter pad tray. The pads can be individually cut from a giant bulk roll of filter media.

This is my flow-over filter pad tray.

min4O2C.jpg

I like this a lot. May actually re-make my "contraption" to something more like this. Really don't like cleaning socks anyway. :0)

I did something similar to McPuff but mine is longer. I am still experimenting with the flow over the filter. So far I am liking it. It helps with the noise if you have your return pipe go into water before the filter.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
I did something similar to McPuff but mine is longer. I am still experimenting with the flow over the filter. So far I am liking it. It helps with the noise if you have your return pipe go into water before the filter.

Having the pipe enter the water also makes it possible to have a siphon on your drain line. If you haven't done this yet, you should definitely consider it (if you're able). You'd need an emergency drain of course.

I plan to make a new "sump box" to accommodate this new design feature. I think it will actually work better for me compared to the sock. And this current design was supposed to be a prototype anyway... 3 years ago. :0)

Having the pipe enter the water also makes it possible to have a siphon on your drain line. If you haven't done this yet, you should definitely consider it (if you're able). You'd need an emergency drain of course.

I plan to make a new "sump box" to accommodate this new design feature. I think it will actually work better for me compared to the sock. And this current design was supposed to be a prototype anyway... 3 years ago. :0)

Actually you don't need the drain pipe under water to have a siphon, you just need to have the other end under water. The purpose of having the drain under water is too make it quiet...think Bean Animal:)

I cut down the length of my filter area since the water was not reaching the other end. My plan today is to play with some different drain configurations in the tray holding the filter to try and get the entire pad under water and draining. This will require smaller holes under the pad reducing the flow through in anyone spot. Anyway that is what I think, subject to change later.

Actually you don't need the drain pipe under water to have a siphon, you just need to have the other end under water. The purpose of having the drain under water is too make it quiet...think Bean Animal:)

I cut down the length of my filter area since the water was not reaching the other end. My plan today is to play with some different drain configurations in the tray holding the filter to try and get the entire pad under water and draining. This will require smaller holes under the pad reducing the flow through in anyone spot. Anyway that is what I think, subject to change later.

Yes, that's true.

As for the placement of the filter pad, my plan is to put it lower than the "overflow" (where water is entering the box itself). Mine is more like a miniature sump with baffles. As long as there is a baffle forcing water to go down through the media (i.e., the opening has to be below the media) you'll be good. Now I'm looking forward to buying some more acrylic so I can get to work on this! :0)

Yes, that's true.

As for the placement of the filter pad, my plan is to put it lower than the "overflow" (where water is entering the box itself). Mine is more like a miniature sump with baffles. As long as there is a baffle forcing water to go down through the media (i.e., the opening has to be below the media) you'll be good. Now I'm looking forward to buying some more acrylic so I can get to work on this! :0)

I think we are on the same page. I made the area that holds the pad 1/2" lower than the box the the drain goes into. The area that holds the pad is a box that is 2" deep. I made mine a separate unit from the sump compartment (refugium section) that it sits in. Makes it easy to remove to clean if necessary. I am also designing it to hold a filter sock not that I expect to use one. Anyway the first run at using this was good.

Here's an alternative to socks, a filter pad tray. The pads can be individually cut from a giant bulk roll of filter media.

min4O2C.jpg

Now I have a new project. I already have the compartment housing 3 filter socks that are a pain to change. I
also have the egg crate and quilt stiffing. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

min4O2C.jpg

My setup is similar to this, not a sock but a pad. I still clean my pads, but it's really not that big a deal. I use two 1 gallon round containers. First I rinse the pads quickly to get the big stuff. Then toss into container #1 with a cap full of bleach. I just let it sit and shake it now and then. The site for a week or more just cleaning. Then I empty container #1, quickly rinse the pads that are nice and clean now, then into container #2 with clean tap water for a full rinse for days. Then I empty onto a rack with my other items and they just dry.

Sorry no pics right now of my operation

I don't think I spend more than 15 minutes on a batch collectively. I do have about 20 pads so I only have to do this periodically.

Purely out of curiosity and me thinking out loud.....

Why could one not put a piece of say eggcrate in the overflow, and put a piece of filter material on top of it?

Of course this would only work in a tower style overflow.

You could do that.

But it might throw off the drain rate. Many tanks have tuned BA or herbie drain. As the pad builds up, that will affect the drain rate and could lead to a flood, and throw off the return/drain tune.

Your much better off draining to the sump, then filter there. My set-up is fail safe. Even though it is unlikely, if the pad builds up too much, worse thing it will overflow into the next chamber.

You could do that.

But it might throw off the drain rate. Many tanks have tuned BA or herbie drain. As the pad builds up, that will affect the drain rate and could lead to a flood, and throw off the return/drain tune.

Your much better off draining to the sump, then filter there. My set-up is fail safe. Even though it is unlikely, if the pad builds up too much, worse thing it will overflow into the next chamber.

Yes, agree. You definitely want the pads in the sump in case of any overflow.

Back