filter sock alternative

Jordan00

im looking for a DIY filter sock alternative something that i can just throw away instead of cleaning it. Since i will be throwing it away i want it to be efficient as in using the least amount of material as possible. please throw some ideas out there and we all can colab on this.

You can sew your own. There are simple plans around. They end up being pennies a piece. When I ran socks, I did them that way. There are plans on rc for them

I like to run high nutrient systems so filter socks are kinda a must. they do take alot of leftover food out of the water. My biggest problem with filter socks is cleaning them and im not alowed to put them in the wash nore do i really trust it

I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 and use their micron socks. These are a breeze to clean under fresh water and whilst they have darkened in the 12 months I've had the tank I don't think they need any more cleaning than that. I'll be getting a couple of replacements soon, but only in case one of them develops a tear. At the moment they look fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go to a fabric store and buy some quit batting (polyester). It's cheap, you can create a small rack to simply hold it in place under your overflow tube. It'll catch a lot of debris and then you can throw it out after a week or however long it takes to foul.

I've been sewing disposable socks for 4 years now.

if you do not have a sewing machine, you can get a portable one for like $10-$15, good enough for sewing filter sock.

If you have a local Joann Fabric store, wait for their 70% off coupon, then buy a whole bolt (10 yards) for under $25 and that will make 180 4" socks. If you change weekly, that will last over 3 years. cost comes to no more than 25 cents per sock. and you get a brand new sock every week. you can never wash a dirty sock back to brand new clean, no matter how you do it.

if you sew your own, then you can control how much material you want to use, so there is no excess or unused portion before you throw it away.

I even make sock for 4" ring but the body is expanded another 6" so I have a bigger bag. I use this when I go out of town for over a week. otherwise, a regular 4" sock will start overflowing after 8 or 9 days. The larger bag can last two whole weeks.

I fell behind on power washing my socks out a few months ago, and used filter floss as a stop gap measure.

I still haven't switched back and really don't see any reason to.

I've been sewing disposable socks for 4 years now.

Do you by chance have a template for the 4" and 4" ring/6" sock?

What do you use on top to hold them in place? I have a sump that holds (2) 4" socks, and can not use a bag style. 14" are too long 8" are too short. 10"-12"
would work perfect. This I can adjust on my own.

TIA

I use the plastic ring from the old filter sock. Just cut off the fabric.
Then I punch 4 holes around the ring, just large enough to thread a zip tie.

for 4" sock, I cut 12" x 12" fabric, fold in half then sew the long side and short side to make the bag. The opening is large enough to fit in the plastic ring, then with an icepick, I punch a hole through the fabric, and thread the zip tie through the 4 holes to hold the sock to the ring.

for larger bag on 4" ring, I cut 18"x 12" fabric. sew the top portion so it will have the same opening size as the 4" bag. Then just sew the side and bottom to close the bag. Hang the same way. so if you can picture it, the bag will extend out about 3" (6" extra width folded in half) past the ring. So its like you have a 4" ring with a fat bag.

these are pictures when I used 6" socks, but idea is the same. you can get creative and customize it as you go.

20150307_013038364_iOS.jpg

20150307_013359798_iOS.jpg

Depending how fine of a filter you are looking for, old fashioned generic ladies knee hi nylons can be bought in multi-packs and just use a rubber band to attach to the bottom of your overflow pipe.

I do this for a few hours when stirring up the substrate, scrubbing rocks, or anything that causes a lot of stuff floating around the tank.

It has been harder to find these at the local dollar store lately. Likely because no one buys them for anything other than a wet filter in their shop vac.

Do your DIY socks give the skimmer overflow problem that other socks have?

it's just like installing a new sock or even a newly washed sock.
I keep the skimmer off for a few minutes after installing the new sock.

Here's an alternative to socks, a filter pad tray. The pads can be individually cut from a giant bulk roll of filter media.

This is my flow-over filter pad tray.

min4O2C.jpg

Back