filter sock

bizzleb01

After you wash then and let them air dry do you do anything too them before you put them in your tank? My water send to be a bit cloudy for a little while after I change the sock.

Define "wash them"... Do you use bleach? If so, before you let them air dry, you should leave them in some water with prime in it to neutralize the bleach. Other than that, you should be good to go after they dry.

Actually, FAIOS sold me the filter socks I have today and Chris gave me a nice piece of paper with very good instructions. I have no idea what I did with it, but you can stop by, buy a few things and ask them for a copy. I'm sure they will have no problems with that.

I've had good results with OxiClean, instead of bleach. Also, some people use higher strength hydrogen peroxide, but I haven't found it around my area, so I use pure OxiClean(no fragrance stuff).

I just put mine in the washing machine with some Vinegar. I do a double rinse.

OH YA !!!! i do it when the old lady not home.

filter sock

I fill a 5 gallon bucket with water add a cap or two of bleach. Let them sit overnight in the bucket (I flip the sock inside out). Hose them off and let air dry...after air dry they go in the tank. Never had a problem with this method. I've had my skimmer go nuts when adding a brand new sock to dump.

I just turn inside out throw a couple weeks worth of socks in pour in half a gallon of bleach and set to extra rinse let air dry for a couple of days and then use .....They are not white but they are clean and do the job ...and I was always told once the sock was air dry it shouldn't leach the bleach into the tank ....so I never attempted to use a somewhat damp or wet sock in fear that it could leach the tap water or bleach...

I was always told once the sock was air dry it shouldn't leach the bleach into the tank ....so I never attempted to use a somewhat damp or wet sock in fear that it could leach the tap water or bleach...

Exactly, I always let mine air dry really good after and I've never had an issue. Also I use the hose outside with a nozzle and my socks come out pretty white after the bleach. I haven't used the washing machine with extra rinse. But I imagine it's the same thing.

I wash them with a cap of bleach in the washing machine then let them air dry. I was then inside out and it's what I did years ago and it never happened. I wonder what's causing it to be cloudy. I cab see it coming out of my return.

I wash them with a cap of bleach in the washing machine then let them air dry. I was then inside out and it's what I did years ago and it never happened. I wonder what's causing it to be cloudy. I cab see it coming out of my return.

If your skimmer goes ape-like afterwards too, then the residue is likely either soap or fabric softer left over in the machine from the non-fishy loads. A pre-sock rinse cycle of the machine may be in order.

Actually, FAIOS sold me the filter socks I have today and Chris gave me a nice piece of paper with very good instructions. I have no idea what I did with it, but you can stop by, buy a few things and ask them for a copy. I'm sure they will have no problems with that.

Document attached. This is the procedure I developed nearly two decades ago. There has NEVER been a contaminant issue when all of the steps are followed.

FYI, stick with unscented Clorox Bleach, god only knows what is in the generics, unless you have access to high % hydrogen peroxide. Cost effective and easy access oxidizer.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• How to clean filter bags.docx
    14.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks John. The skimmer never goes nuts after just clouds the water. I'll start following the directions though

Wash one cycle with bleach. Then follow up with quick hot wash cycle with nothing added. And air dry. Seems to be working fine

Document attached. This is the procedure I developed nearly two decades ago. There has NEVER been a contaminant issue when all of the steps are followed.

Makes me think of the Seinfeld episode where they found the soup nazi's recipes attached to the dresser. :D

If your skimmer goes ape-like afterwards too, then the residue is likely either soap or fabric softer left over in the machine from the non-fishy loads. A pre-sock rinse cycle of the machine may be in order.

FYI, stick with unscented Clorox Bleach, god only knows what is in the generics, unless you have access to high % hydrogen peroxide. Cost effective and easy access oxidizer.

Hope this helps.

Thank you John. I was looking like crazy for this paper to make into electronic version, but I'm glad you shared with the team. Saving this one on my computer.

filter sock

I rinse, soak in bleach, then rinse, then rinse in RO water

Those of u using washing machine; r u running the whole machine just for a couple of socks or do u wash with other clothes?

Last edited:
I have never actually washed mine with chemicals. always just turn inside out and use a hose to blast of the inside buildup. Is there harm in not washing with bleach?

In my case, the moment I take them out of the sump, I take them outside, turn them inside out and wash them with a hose to remove as much stuff as possible. Then, I put them in an open bucket until it is time to wash them.

This reduces the amount of waste that gets dried on the socks and eliminates the horrible smell of storing them before washing them with the hose, but that is just me.

Back