Finally an easy solution to bryopsis!

Hi,

Here in Brazil we are trying a different method to kill the damn bryopsis: turn off the calcium reactor.

Some guys here have success doing that. I have ordered kent M but it is hard to pass customs.

I have shut down my CO2 last week and it seems to have a little effect so far. Some report that it take a full month or more to kill it.

In past I was free of them using MgCl and MgSO4 reaching 1800. But it came back as strong as ever ....

Some of you that have a huge calcium reactor with lots of CO2 circulating may try this too. Maybe they realy love CO2 .....

Well I have put a stop to my magnesium attack. I have a 20% waterchange brewing right now. I am not at all happy with the look of my corals. Some look great, some dont look so good and a couple are bleaching completely. Most of my problems are with SPS but my hammers are going translucent. The exact same thing happened last time I raised my mag. I feel a little silly chasing such a small amount of bryopsis. You probably could have fit my whole out break on a dollar bill. Theres probably 1/8 of it left now. Its not turning white and dying, its simple retreating. I would rather have good healthy corals and a little bryopsis than what Im seeing now. I will do 2 or 3 20% waterchanges over the next month.

I will just stay aggressive with nutrient export and not do the techM thing again unless I get overrun with bry.

Isn't working for me... help

Isn't working for me... help

I've had Bryopis before and bringing Mg up to 1500 did the trick quick. Now a year later, it is back with a vengence. I have brought my Mg back up to 1500ppp, about 100ppm per day. No effect on the Bryopsis. I have been gradually increasing it for weeks. I am now at.... 2340ppm and I don't see the normal effect Mg has on Bryopsis. The rest of my tank and corals are fine (inlcuding my Cheato). Now I am really stumped. It's as if I now have a Mg-resistant strain of Bryopsis ! It has been at least two weeks now that my Mg has been above 1500ppm and no sign of Bryopsis letting up. It's as if I have just used the last bullet in my gun and that I am surrounded by vilains !!!:sad2:

In case you are wondering what I used, I mixed the two part Mg Sulfate and Mg Chloride which I ordered on Bulkreefsupplies.

Help someone....

Eric

I

In case you are wondering what I used, I mixed the two part Mg Sulfate and Mg Chloride which I ordered on Bulkreefsupplies.

Help someone....

Eric

Try Kent M. There is something about it (probably a contaminant) that makes it effective against bryopsis.

I agree. It is fairly clear this is not a magnesium issue.

Most people do not have success simply raising magnesium. You really want to use just Tech M for this purpose, unless you are purposly experimenting to see what other materials might work.

I'll third the past two statements.

The magnesium in Tech M is just a "hitchhiker" as far as I'm concerned.

BRS mag sulfate and chloride didn't work in my case. Tech M did, for a while, but the crap came back after a month.

I'm waiting, and dosing carbon to drop nitrate/phosphate.

Thanks. I'll try that. However, before I can more Mg to my tank, I need to drop it down some... pain.

This is a good point. If you begin the techM process with relatively high Mg, It may vary on how high you have to go with it.

I am wondering if there is a specific component that some tanks have in common that reacts with whatever is in the techM that credits the success. It may be something fairly insignificant that we dont test for but works in concert with the kent product to kill bryopsis.

I notice there are two TechM bottles, the old stuff and the new. Do both work?

I spoke with a rep from Kent about this issue.

He said that the product has not changed.

The old label listed all the "impurities" in it as ingredients, but their concentration was so low that they decided to remove them. I have been told by a friend of mine who is a chemist for a pharmaceutical company but is also a reefkeeper (not Randy Holmes-Farley) who said they probably had to, by law, remove the impurities from the ingredient label because they were too low to be considered an ingredient.

My Mg is now over 2000 and the bryopsis has not died but it has not grown either. It is still green has not turned brown or white as others have mentioned. I even tried dosing it directy with a turkey baster as others have mentioned. I took a toothbrush to it yesterday and it came right off. Hopefully it'll stay away for a while. I tried the toothbrush in another more heavy grown area with no effect. ????

I used the new tech M.

It's has been a while since my last post.

I raised my SO4 to aout 4600ppm (NSW is 2700pp) I am not sure if it helped but the Bryopsis didn't came back as fast after picking it out by hand as last time. Earlier this week I did another manual removal and I placed a Tripneustes gratilla. This Sea Urchins does eat the remainings of the Bryopsis that stayed on the rocks after I removed it by hand.

What test kit is the best for testing the Mg level in the tank?:bounce3:

I don't know about the best test kit, but I've been using the Salifert kit since trying the Tech-M method. And just a quick report on my results, I've had my levels up in the 1400-1500 range for probably 2 weeks. My bryopsis all but disappeared after just a couple of days of dosing. I'm to the point where I'm going to let the Mg level fall back down through water changes and maybe just throw some in to keep it at a bit higher level than the IO salt mix provides to try to keep the bryo from returning.

Back