finally found a reef safe and hardy starfish

Just updating everyone, I ordered 3 of these from KP aquatics back in March. 1 died due to long shipping time. Think it ended up going out on the day after a holiday or something happend. But it was no fault of KP. So the biggest died. The medium and small one are still all around my tank , very active, never really goto top to "filter feed" I've only spot fed when they are around close when feeding time. I can confirm they will or at least mine will eat mysis shrimp with no issues at all. The one thing I wanted to note is that MINE or SOME or MOST or just MINE lol LOVEEEEEEEEE Green Star Polyps. They will often flock to the GSP when im guessing they are hungry and know they can get a guranteed meal from them. They will come sit on the spot they want and pretty much stay there for hours , mins , days lol . After they are done they move on. So if you like your green star polyps to be out and nice and green and full, just know your taking a chance with these star fish, how big or how small I dont know , but both of mine will snack on them from time to time. Not all the time and sometimes it seems like days / 1 week lol before they go back. But overall damage to the GSP is minimal they seem to repair quick , and or are so bushy when they go full you cant see the little spot that they Starfish nawed on. So I just wanted to give my experiance with these little guys. I think im about to order a couple more. They are out and around quite abit.

I know this is an old thread but I have been looking at purchasing a common seastar from KP Aquatics and I am just wondering how yours are still doing. My main question is can I put one of these star fish in my tank with hermit crabs? I also have a cleaner shrimp. Are they all compatible?

I know this is an old thread but I have been looking at purchasing a common seastar from KP Aquatics and I am just wondering how yours are still doing. My main question is can I put one of these star fish in my tank with hermit crabs? I also have a cleaner shrimp. Are they all compatible?

unfortunately i had to tear down my tank but i never had any issues with my hermits or cleaner shrimp.. in fact, my cleaner shrimp would routinely surf on top of the stars :lol:

Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear you had to take your tank down. It was beautiful!

thank you! i miss it a lot.. except cleaning it haha. when my living situation is more settled i'll start a new build. reefs can be tough when you're renting

Yep. They're almost 2" with one being pretty pale and the other more reddish.

Here's the one that's pretty pale
729b89ae715b9e442b753551d4911d18.jpg

Some red on this one
48d28eb904395c0ea30e051402353f71.jpg

One of the two starfish from KP Aquatics finally came out. First time seeing either of them since putting them in.

3429350d327da1a6b19094ae566b39be.jpg

dba75cb29ff14ae2823a2b7a51a13a99.jpg

Found him. My starfish plays hide and seek. I get glimpses of it and next thing I know I don't see it again for at least another week. I have no idea if I have two still or just the one.

99c3c9bbae37e39b9bfdf202b11354aa.jpg

0a2d3441af8ce867dd54a79b87b4e7fc.jpg

I see mine every few weeks. It will come out on the rocks or glass and I give it a chunk of food. Then it disappears for another few weeks until it wants more I guess

I was feeding my copperband tonight some hikari mysis and noticed that starfish was way up on the glass so I put a little mysis on it and it climbed all the way to the top and extended one of its arms out. I put a couple mysis on them and then noticed the rest of its body was making like a cup so I squirted some more in. It "cupped" up even more to not allow any of it to get out. Pretty smart.

4c1d6eccad62f5773303be56ab06e97c.jpg

39391fb9e3562b67442fdc9096346a2d.jpg

I have a feeling it's the only one out of the two I got.

i got 2 of this nardoa sea stars and 1 in my mothers tank. One is 1 and half a year with me and still doing great. hes actively eating dry artemia, added a picture, i really like him. once or twice a weak hes waiting for me to feed him.
that pic is almost a year old and i removed the rock as it was infested with caulerpa.

Attachments

• sea star.jpg
    sea star.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1
Woohooo. Both of those KP Aquatics starfish did survive. I finally have a definite visual of both at the same time.

One is definitely more colorful then the other.
cc057dd4e10a341b50d73fa8f5f9e7e9.jpg

ac94dce2abca620bd978515d60298bde.jpg

Back