Finally my 125g build thread

Youve got the tank in front of a window. Does anyone have any experience with this causing problems with algae or things like that?

Never had a problem with my 55 in the same spot. Window has blinds and a curtain and its a north facing window. Back glass of tank also has a black tint film on it

New stand is up and built. This is just the bare version. Still gonna add a couple more horizontal pieces just for my own piece of mind. My floor is a bit unlevel so it has a bit of a wobble to it, but if I put weight on it, it doesn't wobble, so I'll prolly put the empty tank on it, and shim the stand to the floor as necessary.
20150930_195102_zpsnx8hhww7.jpg

I didn't use any kind of glue on the screws during the build. I'm thinking about using liquid nails or something similar to run down the seams where the wood joins (kind of how interior silicone on a tank is). Would there be a point to this at all? I figure at the least it will fill in any small cracks. Thoughts?

You should always use wood glue when building something out of wood. Put it on one side to be glued place together an use screws. The only thing you can do now is to take it apart and then glue/screw back together. Just running glue down along the seams isn't going to accomplish anything. If you do take it apart make sure it's square when going back together.

I just noticed in the picture above other tanks. How many do you have and how big are they? LOL You have been bitten by the bug in a bad way

Lol. Well i must be a super novice woodworker. Ive never used it before and this is my 3rd stand. Only sw tank i have running now is the 40B at the right in that pic.

Ok, got some gorilla wood clue as well as liquid nails. I detached the bottom from from the rest of the stand and got it all unscrewed. Can anyone recommend how to best glue it together to make sure when I transfer it back to the living room that it will not wobble? I can't seem to find a 6 ft spot anywhere inside or outside, even on my tables outside that is perfectly level and doesn't have any low spots in it. I even stuck a new piece of plywood on top of a table and it's still not perfect. Going to use glue this time so if I don't get it right, i'll have to restart over from scratch. Should I aim for just getting all 4 sides flush on the bottom where it will be touching the floor. Thanks.

Don't worry about the wobble anywhere accept where you plan on placing the tank. If you have cut everything dead on and used a square to put it together with glue on the wood then using the screws, you should be fine. If your floor is not level (most are not) you can address that after. There are a few ways to level this out. So get it together and show some pictures, I'll help you get it level once you get to that point

Ok. Got everything glued up now. Even put some glue on the screws. Added 2 more horizontal pieces right next to the screw strips and glued those in also. Tomorrow, I gotta put 3 in for where the sump is going. Got the stand moved back to the living room and it isn't wobbling anymore, thank goodness. Also feels more sturdy. Hopefully can get it skinned tomorrow as well. My living room has so much crap in it right now can barely walk through.

Here's the stand. Those bottom 3 boards will have a piece of plywood on top for my acrylic sump. Haven't gotten to it yet. I got all the trim pieces cut out tonight, am using 1x6's, 1x4's, and then birch plywood. I decided I will wait to attach all that until I get the empty weight of the tank on top in case any of the wood compresses. Backside will be open, and am putting 2 large doors on the front. Hopefully will have it moved over tomorrow afternoon and can start getting it refilled up.
20151002_195104_zpsc0b72wog.jpg

Slight update. Got all the trim pieces up and going. I somehow forgot to buy hinges so the doors can't be mounted tonight. Finally got the side trim and plywood glued together. Letting that dry overnight and will get it put on tomorrow. Stand should be 100% tomorrow afternoon. I did get the tank moved over and it has no wobble, and also no gaps. Woohoo_Oh, almost forgot. I did have to relocate my 2 additional top horizontal braces more to the center. When I had screwed them in, i completely forgot this tank is drilled from the bottom, and they were exactly where the pipes go down. All is sorted now. Pic below is with the front trim on. Still gotta do the sides. On this one I added a shelf at the top right for test kits/etc. @DK Thanks for the tip on the wood glue. I will probably never build anything without it again. Those 2 horizontal pieces I had to remove, I had already glued. I literally had to use a prybar to break them free.
20151003_191950_zpsrs0mpme2.jpg

Last edited:
"I did have to relocate my 2 additional top horizontal braces more to the center. When I had screwed them in, i completely forgot this tank is drilled from the bottom, and they were exactly where the pipes go down. All is sorted now."

I was just getting ready to say that^

Looks good!

Haha. I had a friend on his way to help move it, and I was in there checking everything, just to make sure it was ready to move and I looked at those pieces, then at my over flows and was like AH SH**

Haha. I had a friend on his way to help move it, and I was in there checking everything, just to make sure it was ready to move and I looked at those pieces, then at my over flows and was like AH SH**

I ran into something similar when building my sump and DT stands. I had to clear out enough room on my top 2x6 frames for my bulkheads. They were to close to the 2x6 frame and wouldn't allow me room to tighten them!

image.jpg

Last edited:
LOL. I already have that problem, especially with the plywood top I added. I had to cut slots out in it for the pipes to go through. I haven't touched them since I bought the tank, and it was full of water right before I got it, so hopefully I won't have to mess with them. If I ever get a larger tank, it won't be bottom drilled.

Edit: Just saw your pic. That's what the bottom of mine looks like except I just cut a rectangular slot all the way to edge. I really like this large tank except for how heavy it is. With any of my previous tanks, if I needed to take it to the backyard to rinse it, or drill a hole, or whatever it was a 1 person job. With this one if I need to move it 6 inches I gotta call some one. Out of my friends/family I'm the only one with fish tanks, so it's usually more of an annoyance to them than anything,lol. My dad has helped me move tanks before and he still looks at a tank with a clown and has to ask if it's freshwater or saltwater. I guess you gotta love the hobby to care. Gonna have to give him " finding nemo" for his bday so he can tell the difference.

Last edited:
I plywood topped my sump stand, but not the DT stand.

image.jpg

Yes, I've had to have the wife help lift many a time! The sump tank was fun getting it down into the basement, down the stairs! Had my stepson help me get it down there! The DT upstairs had my wife's sisters kids come over to help! So I feel your pain!

Last edited:
Back