Finding Dory Petition to educate the audience

I think a blip at the beginning would be awesome. I doubt the producers will do it, but it's an awesome idea. I think it would be great to have an expert from a major aquarium introduce the film by sharing a few dos and donts of the hobby, use the fish in the film as an example and maybe even show the real thing in a well done aquarium. Alot of people don't even realize that there is a fish like Dory unless they've seen it in person. Most people are at least aware of clowns. I'd sign the petition if there was one, but again, I have my doubts that it would come to anything.

One LFS owner in my town has been in business for about 35 years. He's probably talking about FW fish, but he thinks today's youth generally are not interested in keeping fish like they used to back in the day. He thinks there are too many other distractions in their lives like game consoles - not to mention the huge homework loads & after school activities they have nowadays...plus that mesmerizing slab of glass called the smartphone. The kids I interact with really don't give a darn about a fish tank although a few do routinely come home with a goldfish from the county fair each year and leave the care to their parents, who barely tolerate my unsolicited advice on proper care (like explaining the concept of chlorine) and do everything wrong and end up killing it. I think one made it to the 6 month mark.

I'm interested in his take on what the last movie was like for his business & his expectations with the new film. I plan on asking him about it the next time I see him.

One LFS owner in my town has been in business for about 35 years. He's probably talking about FW fish, but he thinks today's youth generally are not interested in keeping fish like they used to back in the day. He thinks there are too many other distractions in their lives like game consoles - not to mention the huge homework loads & after school activities they have nowadays...plus that mesmerizing slab of glass called the smartphone. The kids I interact with really don't give a darn about a fish tank although a few do routinely come home with a goldfish from the county fair each year and leave the care to their parents, who barely tolerate my unsolicited advice on proper care (like explaining the concept of chlorine) and do everything wrong and end up killing it. I think one made it to the 6 month mark.

Amen. I'm 13 and I can't find a single reef keeper my age in my area, let alone dedicated fish keepers.

Oh well, more fish for me.

i'm on board!!!!...........

maybe PETA has a petition, however i'm sure their petition involves eliminating the hobby entirely......maybe we should skip the petition????:sad2:

You're talking about the PETA that kills animals?

Yeah we might want to leave PETA out of this of they will round all our livestock up and throw it in a lake of freshwater thinking they are "freeing" them

They will just flush them down the drain without hesitation:
https://www.petakillsanimals.com/proof-peta-kills/
They kill over 85% of the animals they "rescue", and not after months without finding them a new home, but often within 24h - housing and feeding animals cost money, killing is cheap...

Sadly, that wouldn't surprise me one bit. Those guys are not known for their intelligence, just their "big hearts" that cause a ton of trouble.

Big hearts? Big money from fools who believe the lies PETA spreads.

You're talking about the PETA that kills animals?

my comment was a joke/commentary on the unexpected consequences of people and gov'ts trying to influence behaviors that agree with "their" individual sensibilities.

I think personally tanks suggestions for fish should be in dimensions not gallons, " I have a 180 gallon tank" - 24" long x 96" height x 18" deep ya it's a 180 all right but a hippo will not be happy in it. I also believe that a 6 foot tank is pushing it for one, they swim a lot.

THere's a nice little sticker which may (I'm not sure) be available to fish stores: it shows the cartoon Dory, and has a warning that Dory is only for 'experts' in the hobby. Hopefully this will bring some sober reflection. They probably should add---'they live for 20 years and keeping one is going to be really expensive, too.'

This was over a decade back. You could find blue rings in an LFS from time to time. Happily, I haven't seen one in an aquarium shop for years. Beautiful creatures, but we're talking about a fairly rare animal that does very poorly in captivity, has a short natural lifespan, and, oh yeah, it can KILL YOU.

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/bluering5.php
Back in the early 90's a LFS had one of these for sale. I was stunned to see it in the store and asked the owner if he knew it was deadly. He did! Back then, it was kind of like the wild west though. You could find lots of unusual stuff throughout the year. I do miss all the large coral for cheap though.

Back in the early 90's a LFS had one of these for sale. I was stunned to see it in the store and asked the owner if he knew it was deadly. He did! Back then, it was kind of like the wild west though. You could find lots of unusual stuff throughout the year. I do miss all the large coral for cheap though.

It must have been around the same time when I saw hundred of blue ring octopi at De Jong. They kept them in closed cups they couldn't walk around and bite someone. Though there were some empty cups ... I decided to rather not stick my hands into any tank of that system.
Back then I thought that was just insane to import these

I think this is one of those animals that should be banned from imports or at a minimum require a special permit to be able to buy and sell them - they are just too dangerous to be passed on to uninformed people.

Back