Finding Dory Petition to educate the audience

Anyone remember back in the 90's when Oprah did a segment on keeping a betta in a bowl with a plant? Stood there and told the world that the fish nibbles on the plant roots, so you don't have to feed it.

She probably killed several million bettas with that segment. Idiot. Bettas are carnivores.

A couple of lines in the credits, something like "Learn the facts before purchasing live marine animals as pets. www.reefcentral.com" Doesn't seem an unreasonable precaution, but I don't know how much good it would do.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like the people selling the fish in this hobby should be the ones informing people.
I know it would be difficult considering they're selling fish every day and they can't keep making sure every customer knows what they're doing but I remember going into my LFS the first time and the guy selling the fish was almost interrogating me with questions I thought were pretty stupid.
"Your tank is saltwater right?"
"You cycled it properly? Are you sure?"
"This fish needs this amount of space you sure you have that?"

I thought it was a little rude at first but then during a conversation later on after becoming a regular etc he explained that people come in thinking they can fill a tank with tap water and stick clownfish in there. (I was still a little offended :p) but at the time I was new to that LFS and I noticed them doing it with other new customers. I realised it probably made a world of difference.

If LFS' could just make a little effort on that at the very least with new customers, that I think would make some difference. I've noticed a lot of fish shops will even give me false information just to sell a fish or coral. I just nope my way right out of there.
IMHO I doubt a petition for finding dory to put an informational ad/disclaimer? will go very far for a lot of reasons.

P.S If you're really set on a petition for finding dory and your main idea doesn't work out, maybe try for an information clip in the "extras" that they usually do on the DVD's.

When I first got into this my local big chain pet store would not sell me anything until my cycle was completed. He made me bring in water samples every time until it was done. On the flip side after it was cycled for about 4 months I went to a small mom and pop store that specialized in salt water. They just got a new baby hippo that they kept trying to push on me. I told them my tank was only 45 gallons and they told me that was plenty. Told them no thanks and haven't been back since.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like the people selling the fish in this hobby should be the ones informing people.

I once watched a guy try to sell a blue ring octopus to a teenager without ever even mentioning that it was dangerous. He was actually upset that I brought it up. Killed the sale.

Doesn't apply only to marine creatures, either. Watched a mom buy a cute little burmese python for her 8 year old son. Sales guy never said a word.

Heck, one of my Great Pyrenees came from a lady that bought him as a cute little pup, she had no idea that he was going to eat 50lbs of food a week, and outweigh her in a year.

Caveat Emptor

How'd you like to have to supply a photo and tank log to the vendor next time you want to order a fish online? Or justify yourself to some pimple faced cretin at the local petmart?

It's a movie. It's for entertainment only. To expect anything else is as unreasonable as the person who wants to buy a clown fish on a whim or the person that sells it to them.

I think a simple solution is for LFS to have laminated bulletin pages near the tanks containing images, descriptions and care requirements for all the common and popular species. This could be done for coral as well. Even if it only covered the 20 most common species it may make people rethink adding a future 12 inch tang to a 20 g tank.

I think a simple solution is for LFS to have laminated bulletin pages near the tanks containing images, descriptions and care requirements for all the common and popular species. This could be done for coral as well. Even if it only covered the 20 most common species it may make people rethink adding a future 12 inch tang to a 20 g tank.

yes...i think, too, that at Micky D. there should be laminated bulletins that warn people this food will make you fat and sick!!!!:hmm4:

I once watched a guy try to sell a blue ring octopus to a teenager without ever even mentioning that it was dangerous. He was actually upset that I brought it up. Killed the sale.

Doesn't apply only to marine creatures, either. Watched a mom buy a cute little burmese python for her 8 year old son. Sales guy never said a word.

Heck, one of my Great Pyrenees came from a lady that bought him as a cute little pup, she had no idea that he was going to eat 50lbs of food a week, and outweigh her in a year.

Caveat Emptor

How'd you like to have to supply a photo and tank log to the vendor next time you want to order a fish online? Or justify yourself to some pimple faced cretin at the local petmart?
I have a Great Pyrenees who i inherited from a past relationship. She's 94 lbs. Absolutely loving and loyal but definitely territorial, stubborn breeds with big barks! We bring her skiing when we go back country, keeps the cougars, wolves and potentially woken bears away. Hoping to get some goats and hens for her to herd and protect. I love her but i wouldnt recommend someone not experienced with dogs to have this breed!

Live Aquaria does have something about buying Nemo on one of their pages but its small then if you click it you will get a new page about being responsible.

This is what you see on the ocellaris page:
LOOKING FOR "NEMO"? Please read this helpful article before your purchase your first Clownfish.
Pull up this link and look on the right side of the page under the shopping cart
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+27+755&pcatid=755

So when you click on the little blurb about nemos you get this page
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=126

This page is only listed on some of the individual clowns pages not all of them. And it's such a small thing that you really can and most likely will over look it. :hammer:

But at least they're trying.

The expense of start up alone, for both fish only as well as reef, would make you think a person would take the time to investigate what they put in the tank before they buy it.
But nope......
We live in a society where everything is some one else's fault.
It just baffles me.......

It starts in the LFS. I love Deloris at Sierra Pets in Renton Wa. She loves her Fish and will grill you when trying to buy something. She will asks the If's, And's and But's, about what you are trying to do. Before a large price purchase, she will have you bring a water Sample in and test it before she lets that fish go. I have been turned down many times because either my water wasn't that great, not being sure about proper care, and non compatible tankmates. That was just on corals alone. She has a great reputation for schooling you and sometimes you walk out with knowledge of the fish/coral in question, but more than not, you walk out with the feeling you have a lot more to learn.

When I first got into this my local big chain pet store would not sell me anything until my cycle was completed. He made me bring in water samples every time until it was done. On the flip side after it was cycled for about 4 months I went to a small mom and pop store that specialized in salt water. They just got a new baby hippo that they kept trying to push on me. I told them my tank was only 45 gallons and they told me that was plenty. Told them no thanks and haven't been back since.

It honestly makes me upset that they're even working with those fish and trying to do that. You did right by never going back there.

Caveat Emptor

A blue ring octopus? People actually sell those? Holy cow and I thought my fox face spines were scary :lmao:

That's a life or death situation there. Sales people can't just assume "well he's buying it he must know it's dangerous." I don't know what I would do if a person let alone a kid died because oops I forgot to mention those things can kill you but please buy it anyway. That's not even irresponsibility that's just plain evil.

You probably saved a kids life. I can't believe they even sell things like stonefish and blue ringed octopus. I mean, I needed a license when buying turtles for gods sake and they're just giving out deadly creatures without any warning. I'm sure there are people that know how to handle them but assuming with something so dangerous? That's just sad.

Let's be honest MOST of America doesn't read anything. You could have a sign in ever LFS and before and after the movie ran and half the people would never know it was even addressed.

I have a Great Pyrenees who i inherited from a past relationship. She's 94 lbs. Absolutely loving and loyal but definitely territorial, stubborn breeds with big barks! We bring her skiing when we go back country, keeps the cougars, wolves and potentially woken bears away. Hoping to get some goats and hens for her to herd and protect. I love her but i wouldnt recommend someone not experienced with dogs to have this breed!

We have two males and a female Pyrenees. Rambo, Moose, and Biscuit. When I purchased this home, it had been empty for 5 years. Woods all around, closest neighbor is just over a half mile away. Going outside after dark was an adventure, the coyotes were thick. We acquired Rambo, our first Pyrenees, and within a week, he had started pushing the critters back. Picked up Biscuit so he'd have some company a few months later. That's been 5 years ago now. Rescued Moose from an apartment dweller last fall, after the owner figured out that he'd made a huge mistake. Rambo is starting to slow down, figured he could train the pup. One downside to large dogs, you don't get many years with one.

With minimal training from us, they protect our small flock of chickens, keep the predatory critters away, heck, they even 'herd' my 2 yo grandson around, keeping him away from the pond, etc. They'll sit and watch a deer or turkey in silence, don't chase the neighbors cows, but let a raccoon, possum, bobcat, fox, coyote, or stray dog come within a half mile, and they're all over it. Wish I could convince them that armadillos were bad. Oh well.

You need 40 acres or so, minimum, in order to keep one of these big, free roaming dogs happy, and even then, you can expect them to visit your neighbors from time to time. If barking at night is going to bother you, and they have an impressive, big, deep, loud bark, get something else. If plowing through a very large dog pile with the mower once in a while bothers you, look elsewhere. If having a yard covered in white fur every spring when they start shedding sounds bad, stay away.

A blue ring octopus? People actually sell those? Holy cow and I thought my fox face spines were scary :lmao:

This was over a decade back. You could find blue rings in an LFS from time to time. Happily, I haven't seen one in an aquarium shop for years. Beautiful creatures, but we're talking about a fairly rare animal that does very poorly in captivity, has a short natural lifespan, and, oh yeah, it can KILL YOU.

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/bluering5.php

Seriously. When "BLOW" hit theaters how many young adults and teens wanted to recreate those precious moments they saw in the movie? Coke had a huge spike in the drug culture after it came out. I could imagine that parents wouldn't want to maintain a marine or "salt water" tank so I don't predict this having a huge impact on the market.

If these guys (studio execs) cared about 'educating their audience', they'd put handgun warnings before every James Bond movie. The road of good intentions has no offramp in Hollywood.

Also if parents did want to get a hippo or clown whats the worst that could happen? Will they end up on Reef Central upgrading to a 180 and using their kids college fund for lights, pumps, and polyps?

There was a short article in our local newspaper today regarding this concern, titled Activists brace for "Finding Dory" impact on tropical fish sales. If anyone is interested it was an Orlando Sentinal article originally. So perhaps the word is spreading and awareness will be an ongoing effort before this movie comes out.

My dog is my other hobby...hence the profile picture. Getting a dog from a reputable breeder is harder than working for the CIA. They want full written reports of your yard, your house, experience caring for dog's, interview, home visit (the list goes on lol)...just to get on the wait list!

i hear this a lot from people who try to rescue, too. when i got my first great dane, i practically had to sign away my first born. i have since gotten 3 more from that particular rescue without a problem.

i agree, i think this issue would be a good thing for the lfs to address but we all know, most of them are in business to make money so i don't see it happening. there have been numerous times when i have been in the lfs and had to bite my tongue until the sales person walked away and then, i will let the prospective buyer know that no, a hippo tang won't be good in a 10g tank. i'm pretty sure that 99% of the time, my advice is ignored. :rolleyes:

Back